MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia Store to be replaced by Opera Mobile Store

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 18.Nov.2014 17:04    Post subject: Nokia Store to be replaced by Opera Mobile Store   Reply with quote   

Nokia Store will be replaced by Opera Mobile Store, see press release. Excerpt:
    Microsoft and Opera Software sign agreement to extend Opera Mobile Store to more Nokia phones
    Opera Mobile Store will replace Nokia Store as the default app store for Nokia feature phones, Symbian and Nokia X smartphones, following an agreement between Opera Software and Microsoft.

Beginning in the first quarter of 2015, people who access Nokia Store from Series 40, Series 60, Symbian, Asha and Nokia X devices will be automatically redirected to Opera Mobile Store, where they will be offered the opportunity to become customers of Opera Mobile Store and have access to tens of thousands of apps for their Nokia phones.

The transition to Opera Mobile Store will enable millions of people who use classic Nokia phones to continue to have a trusted source for apps, games and content. The process of migrating customers from Nokia Store to Opera Mobile Store is expected to be complete in the first half of 2015, at which point Nokia Store will be closed.

“We continue to sell and support classic Nokia devices, which remain popular in many parts of the world,” said Rich Bernardo, Vice President, Phones, Microsoft. “We’re delighted to partner with Opera Software and continue to provide a reliable app store experience for consumers and developers alike.”

“When the current users of the Nokia Store are migrated to Opera Mobile Store, they will continue to get fresh, interesting apps for their Nokia phones,” says Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software. “The Opera Mobile Store becomes an even more significant player in the app store market, and Nokia mobile phone users get a first-class app store for years to come.”

App store trusted around the world
    When the transition of customers from the Nokia Store to the Opera Mobile Store is complete, Opera is positioned to become the third largest app store in terms of downloads.

With close to 300,000 apps and games available in the store today, and millions of downloads each day, the Opera Mobile Store has a wide reach for developers looking to distribute apps.

Opera Mobile Store today supports more than 7,500 different devices, from feature phones to the most advanced smartphones. It is a trusted platform used by more than 40,000 developers around the world.

Developers looking to publish apps on the Opera Mobile Store can do so by visiting apps.opera.com.

The announcement follows a separate agreement, announced in August 2014, which will see Opera become the default browser on Nokia-branded phones, including Series 30+, Series 40, Asha and Nokia X handsets.
The Nokia N900 and N9 are not mentioned in this press release, but could be added in the first half of 2015.

--
Bent Laursen
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Tuesday, 18.Nov.2014 17:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

While at the first glance this is positive news. However, I don't understand the logic from Microsoft's point of view. They have spent so much to destroy Symbian and now they let Opera run a store for them. What's in it for Microsoft?

EDIT: Maybe it is a secret plot to acquire Opera now as well.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 18.Nov.2014 18:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Microsoft wants to focus on Windows Phone, see email from Nokia Developer. Excerpt:
    New beginnings for classic Nokia phone developers
    As we focus our efforts on helping the Windows Phone developer community grow and succeed, we recognize that people from all corners of the world still love their classic Nokia phones.

And, for those of you who develop great apps, games and other content for these phones, there’s good news in store for you.

Starting in early 2015, Opera Software will extend the Opera Mobile Store to work with even more Nokia phones, including those that run Series 40, Series 60, Symbian, Asha and Nokia X software, ensuring people can continue to enjoy a variety of great apps.

Opera Mobile Store is one of the top app stores in the world and has recently reached 200 million average monthly visitors. With users hailing from 196 regions across the globe, Opera Mobile Store offers many of the same features as Nokia Store, including free and paid-for global and local apps for Nokia phones.

Opera Software will invite developers to make their content available in the Opera Mobile Store and we’ll support our current developers in this activity. In the near future you can expect to hear from us about how to do this. If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact us at operatrans@microsoft.com .

We expect Nokia Store to close in the first half of 2015 when the redirection to Opera Mobile Store is complete. And, while we’ll miss all your great apps on Nokia Store, we couldn’t be more excited about the future of those apps on Opera Mobile Store.

Thank you for all of your hard work, and for continuing to give plenty of reasons for classic Nokia phone owners to continue to love their phones.
When Nokia went with Microsoft Phone in 2011, they promised to support Symbian until 2016. So Microsoft has to keep Nokia Store up and running in one form or another until 2016. This leaves the question about the availability of development tools.

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 18.Nov.2014 23:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

While at the first glance this is positive news. However, I don't understand the logic from Microsoft's point of view. They have spent so much to destroy Symbian and now they let Opera run a store for them.

The Opera store has been supporting Symbian apps for several years, so there's absolutely no change in this regard.

http://symbian.apps.opera.com/en_gb/

Note, however, one important thing: there is currently NO WAY TO SIGN SYMBIAN APPLICATIONS WHOSE CAPABILITIES REQUIRE SIGNING. And the problem is that on Symbian almost everything requires signing: location, messaging, network access, sensors (compass, accelerometer, etc), phone, multimedia, access and use of any user or device data (contacts, calendar, device status, etc.) and so on.

Applications currently available in the Nokia Store are signed by Nokia (and therefore fully functional), but once the store gets closed they'll all disappear and no developer will get them, and even if you bought your own apps to get access to signed SIS files, you are not permitted to distribute them anywhere else as SIS files signed by the Nokia store were only permitted for Nokia store distribution. Those who have Symbian Express Signed apps are permitted to use them anywhere, but the validity period of the certificate was short (1 year if I remember correctly) so they will also expire very soon, or maybe already have, as Symbian Signed was closed by the end of 2013 so even the last Symbian Signed app's signature is now 11 months old, with NO WAY to renew it.

So the only options that the Opera store gives developers is either only VERY SIMPLE apps which don't use any capabilities requiring signing (i.e. not much more than a calculator or a simple game) or (if Opera allows it, which is highly unlikely) publishing UNSIGNED .SIS files, but such apps will only work on HACKED Symbian phones that only very few advanced users have, and if bought by people with not hacked devices such .sis files would not even install so you'd be getting lots of complaints and name calling, not worth the hassle at all.

Long story short, this is the final nail in Symbian's coffin.

So much for Microsoft's (and all those treacherous "Nokia" people like Mrs. Harlow) promises of "full support for Symbian until 2016". It's a bunch of liars and frauds.
spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 14:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal, the Windows trojan Horse Elop got what he deserved. When he came by Nokia he couldn't wait to destroy Symbian and MeeGo. In his opinion Symbian was outdated and MeeGo was also not an option for Nokia. The burning platform memo is well known.

Elop made the huge mistake to think that Symbian users would switch to WP, but the Symbian users never liked WP and still don't like it. They left Nokia in huge amount for Android and IOS. When you look at the WP marketshare then is obvious that WP is not a huge success.

How would Elop call WP at the moment? When he became CEO Nokia had a marketshare of more than 30%. Good job Elop. Right now WP has something between 2.5 and 3%. The best CEO in history:-)
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 17:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I "see" in future the the apps sales will drop DRASTICALLY. Right now i still can earn about 10-20 euro in Nokia Store due to my app is constantly top in Paid Section for a few months already and i this greatly help in sales plus all those great review by users.Now in opera mobile all have to start over again.I might as well publish my app in Yandex app store since almost 70% of current buyer is from Rusia.I wonder is there any way to archive those review as they are quite nostalgia.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Nov.2014 23:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

In his opinion Symbian was outdated and MeeGo was also not an option for Nokia.

Not really. On the contrary, he knew perfectly well that in 2010/2011 Symbian (especially with the upcoming updates, including Carla/Donna which were never released) was way ahead of what Windows Phone could achive in the next couple of years, during which Symbian would get even better, and thus beyond what Windows Phone could ever compete with. Same for MeeGo.

THAT is why Symbian and MeeGo had to be destroyed in such a drastical way, so intensively, rapidly and at the cost of anything. Or else there would be no space on the market for WP and it would not be "the third platform" even now.

One does not put so much effort into destroying something that really is so "outdated, incompetitive, cumbersome, etc." that it would die by itself just by letting it die by itself. Whereas in case of both Symbian and MeeGo, it took months (or actually in case of Symbian years) of aggressive, active actions to destroy them. He delayed the launch of N8 until October (past the whole summer season) but people still bought 4 million units within just 2,5 months. He delayed the E7 past Christmas/New Year, but millions still preordered it, so he issued his burning platform memo EXACTLY on the day of E7's launch, which only brainless people can consider a coincidence.

It took stopping production of the N9 after just 8 months during which people bought more than 2 million units (the only such case in Nokia's whole history, even the 7710 was manufactured longer than that) to force people to stop buying it. Same way, it took eventually stopping production of all Symbian phones at the beginning of 2013 to eventually kill Symbian's marketshare, which despite all Elop's actions even in Q4 2012 (full two years after Elop's burning platform memo) was higher than (so promoted and so cheaply sold) all Lumia models combined.

Now they're killing the Nokia store, because developers like me still sell there more copies of Symbian apps than in the BlackBerry store, which is really symptomatic given that no Symbian phone has been released for nearly THREE YEARS. It takes killing the store to give Symbian that final lethal stab, or else people would continue using Symbian phones over another year or two. Apparently, it wasn't enough to disallow any new submissions and updates of Symbian apps a year ago as people were still buying even the old stuff.

So no, Elop's opinion surely wasn't that Symbian or MeeGo was outdated. He knew well that they were alive and kicking and with great perspectives ahead of them -- and he worked his fingers to the bones to murder them, just what his boss Ballmer ordered him to do.

Quote:

Elop made the huge mistake to think that Symbian users would switch to WP, but the Symbian users never liked WP and still don't like it. They left Nokia in huge amount for Android and IOS.

That's true. That was Elop's (and Ballmer's) worst misunderstanding of Symbian and MeeGo users' needs. Thanks to killing Symbian, Android marketshare more than doubled at the same time as nearly all Symbian users went Android. Ballmer must have been throwing chairs at walls - his favorite way to vent frustration.

Quote:

When you look at the WP marketshare then is obvious that WP is not a huge success.

Or even worse. In the US its marketshare already started to fall.

Quote:

How would Elop call WP at the moment? When he became CEO Nokia had a marketshare of more than 30%. Good job Elop. Right now WP has something between 2.5 and 3%. The best CEO in history:-)

Elop turned out to be a greedy, narrow-minded, money-hungry prick. All he wanted was some money he was promised for destroying Nokia, then he went back to Microsoft where he is one of dozens of managers no one will even remember, except for that he was the one who ruined Nokia, which surely isn't something he'll want to have engraved on his gravestone. Whereas if he was a true CEO of Nokia it might have remained the world's biggest smartphone maker, and Elop not only might be remembered as one of its best CEOs but in the end he might have earned many times more money.

But he was just Ballmer's soldier, not a charismatic leader. And that's exactly why he didn't become Microsoft's CEO - he does not have such skills, he's only good at following orders. Boston Chicken guy.

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Thursday, 20.Nov.2014 08:34; edited 1 time in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, spyder81

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Nov.2014 00:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Now in opera mobile all have to start over again.

Doesn't your app require any capabilities? If it does, how do you intend to sign it? Releasing an unsigned application only for users with hacked phones makes no sense as there's just a handful of them, and in a store like Opera you could not restrict it so that users with not hacked devices could not buy it, so you'd be getting hundreds of negative comments that your app won't even install...

This Opera store agreement is just Microsoft's POOR EXCUSE for so insolently breaking their promise of providing full support for Symbian until 2016. They know perfectly well that there's no way to sign any Symbian apps (as THEY closed all signing services) and therefore no advanced apps can be distributed there or anywhere else. By "advanced" I mean using ANY capability, even just GPS.

N9 / MeeGo apps could still be normally distributed in a store like Opera (as they don't need to be signed and if an Aegis certificate is needed then it is generated automatically by the SDK when building the package by the developer), hence *NO* agreement between Microsoft and Opera regarding distribution of MeeGo software, which clearly shows what are Microsoft's true goals - and it surely ISN'T allowing Symbian and MeeGo users to still buy new apps, it's just fooling people around and PRETENDING that they keep their promise of support until 2016.

It's just sad that Opera don't support MeeGo by themselves. I suggested it to them several times by email and on Twitter already a year ago (informing them that the Nokia store no longer accepts any updates and therefore 2+ million of N9 users would be really happy if someone else could run an app store for them) and no one even bothered to reply.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, alexpain

spyder81
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
17 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: 31648778428

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Nov.2014 22:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It was clear from the very beginning that Elop was send by Microsoft on a mission. The mission was to destroy everything good that made Nokia the number one telephone manufacturer. Kill Symbian and MeeGo and make sure that the value of Nokia gets down, so that Microsoft can buy the mobile division on a cheap prize.

But what has Microsoft achieved? I think they have headaches when they look at the marketshare at the moment. Right now the marketshare is somewhere between 2,5 and 3%. When Elop arrived the marketshare of Nokia was more than 30%. I think the plan was to destroy Symbian and MeeGo users and let them migrate to WP. The Symbian-users never liked WP and don't like it even now. That was a huge miscalculation. Ballmer and Elop acutally made Android en IOS big.

Not a chance that Nokia would have 2,5% or 3% marketshare with Symbian. Symbian was to good and had a loyal fanbase of millions an millions users.

Elop hated the N9. It was not his intention to bring the N9 out, but he had no choice. The phone was already ready, so he decided reluctantly to release the N9. It was no joy for him. There was nog attention from him, but despite that Nokia sold more than 2 million N9's.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Nov.2014 03:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Kill Symbian and MeeGo and make sure that the value of Nokia gets down, so that Microsoft can buy the mobile division on a cheap prize.

To bring Nokia value as low as possible in order to cheaply buy it was one thing, but not any less important was to destroy Symbian and MeeGo in order to make space on the market for Windows Phone.

Please remember than before Elop came to Nokia in H2 2010 Symbian still had nearly 40% marketshare. Android had just as much. iOS had some ~ 18%. So what remained? Pitiful 2% or maybe 4%. In 2009-2010 Symbian wasn't growing as fast as Android, but it doesn't mean that it was shrinking. It's just that Android was growing faster. So while at some point Android might get a considerably bigger marketshare, it does not mean that Symbian user base would quickly shrink in any foreseeable future. It was a stable user base of hundreds of millions of people and it would remain so for years.

And all of the above only describes the situation BEFORE any Symbian updates came out. Please remember that Symbian ^3 was released (on the N8 ) only AFTER Elop became Nokia CEO, and already AFTER he started his harmful actions. Delaying the N8 (and thus Symbian ^3) by nearly two months was the first thing Elop did, apparently to get worse financial results for Q3 2010 (than what they would have been if the N8 was launched in summer as planned) and use it to convince the Board that "changes" were needed. He could not delay the N8 eternally so he eventually had to release it..... and people INSTANTLY bought 4 million units in just 2,5 months and the N8 (and its Symbian ^3) got extremely positive reviews, all of them stressing that Symbian ^3 is a huge improvement over (generally unliked) S60 5th Edition and the right way to go. So he instantly delayed the launch of E7 (the second phone with Symbian ^3, meant to be Nokia's new flagship and even called the Communicator by Nokia) which was to be released before Christmas but Elop delayed it until February 2011, and exactly on the day of its release issued (and leaked to the press so that it could be instantly known to everyone) his famous "burning platform memo".

We can only speculate how Symbian would have been doing if there was no Elop - with N8 and E7 released normally, with Anna and Belle updates released in time (i.e. within months after N8 and E7 release), then also Carla and Donna updates (which were to bring new higher screen resolutions, support for dual-core CPUs and many further UI improvements), and obviously without Elop calling Symbian "obsolete, incompetitive, etc." and eventually telling the whole world that Nokia is dumping it. Quite possibly Symbian's marketshare would have remained comparable to Android's until today, because Android would have NOT grown so rapidly, as it did so ONLY thanks to hundreds of millions of Symbian users who have switched to it after Elop killed Symbian. Half of Android's markeshare is former Symbian users, most of who would have quite possibly REMAINED Symbian users.

As for MeeGo, it didn't count in terms of marketshare, but Nokia had plans to smoothly shift towards MeeGo, at least in the high-end smartphone segment. So MeeGo would have been gradually taking parts of Symbian marketshare and thus considerably growing. Also remember that Nokia had a serious partnership with Intel regarding MeeGo, with not only a smartphone platform being made, but also tablet UX, netbook UX, IVI (car, entertainment) solutions, etc. It could have gotten really big.

So, just as I wrote, with Symbian, Android and iOS occupying some 96-98% of marketshare, Microsoft just HAD TO destroy one of them to make ANY space on the market for its pitiful Windows Phone, which could only fill an EMPTY space, as it could NOT compete with any of those platforms if all of them still existed. Just remind yourself how pathetically crippled WP 7.x was and how long it took for even the most basic features to be slowly appearing in WP8 only now after so many years, and mainly thanks to the acquired NOKIA expertise and staff. Ballmer wouldn't manage to harm Google or Apple, so Nokia was the only choice.

Ballmer (with Elop's hands) just killed two birds with one stone - not only he destroyed Symbian (and MeeGo which could have taken Symbian's place) hoping that it would make space for Windows Phone (and this is where he was so deadly wrong, as everyone instantly moved to Android), but at the same time it ruined Nokia financially, which allowed to so cheaply and easily acquire all its assets and technology. Just brilliant. The only mistake was that all Symbian users had chosen Android rather than the hopeless, crippled and locked Windows Phone. This is where Elop scr*wed up, and maybe that's why he didn't 'deserve' becoming Microsoft CEO.

Quote:

But what has Microsoft achieved?

They only have some 3%, but without Nokia they would have had 0,3%. So it still means an order of magnitude increase, purely thanks to Nokia. Additionally, they now have THEIR technology - nearly everything that Nokia ever achieved is now theirs. Before that, they always needed external companies to make phones for them - Sendo, HTC, etc., now they have it all themselves. And they'll use it, not only in smartphones (where they may never manage to succeed) but in countless other kinds of products and services. And all of that they got almost for nothing, cheaper than Skype.

Quote:

Not a chance that Nokia would have 2,5% or 3% marketshare with Symbian.

Symbian still had 6% marketshare even in the second half of 2012, after FULL TWO YEARS of Elop constantly defaming it, two years after official discontinuation and letting the whole world know that Nokia dumps it and moves to WP, two years with only a few heavily underpowered phones released during that time (even the 808 PureView only had a single core 1.3 GHz CPU) and no updates of screen resolution, modem (e.g. LTE) etc. So we can only imagine what the markeshare would have been WITHOUT all that, but instead with all the planned updates and improvements and continued support and promotion. Either Symbian would start growing again and remained on par with Android, or in the worst case it would take it A DECADE or so to drop to even just 20%, if it took it TWO YEARS of all these deadly harmful actions to bring it down to 6%.

Quote:

Elop hated the N9.

I guess that Elop just underestimated it, just like he didn't understand that majority of Symbian users would switch to Android and not to feature phone-like Windows Phone. He thought that no one would buy the N9 when he released it only AFTER he announced that it would be the only MeeGo model ever and the platform would not be continued. 2+ million units sold in less than 8 months must have scared sh*t out of him and Ballmer, hence they instantly decided to stop its production, despite ongoing sales higher than any WP phone at that time.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: spyder81

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Dec.2014 17:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

More details on the transition from Nokia Store to Opera Mobile Store, see Nokia Developer. Excerpt:
    From Nokia to Opera – information for a successful migration
    As you know, on November 18th 2014, we announced our plans to replace Nokia Store with Opera Mobile Store as the default app store for Nokia feature phones, Symbian and Nokia X smartphones.

This transition will help our developer community maintain a vital connection to millions of people who use classic Nokia phones, through a trusted source for apps, games and content.

Today we’d like to share details on how to migrate your applications so that you can make the most of the opportunity ahead.

A three-step migration to the Opera Mobile Store
    From mid-January 2015, you will be able to start migrating your content from the Nokia Publish site to the Opera Mobile Store.

To do that, you need to follow three simple steps:

• First, register with Opera. This is something many developers have already done. If you haven’t yet registered, you can do so here

• Next, visit the Nokia Publish site. Here you’ll be asked to give consent to have your content migrated across to Opera.

• Finally, you will then be asked to confirm which content you would like to migrate.

Opera will then carry out the migration within 72 hours and notify you when the chosen content appears in the Opera Mobile Store.

Importantly, you will only have the opportunity to migrate content once. After you have been through this process, any further apps you wish to transfer from Nokia Publish to the Opera Mobile Store will need to be submitted to Opera directly who will then upload them.

These steps will need to be completed by March 15th 2015.

For those who would like to register at the Opera Mobile Store and start publishing there now, you can do so here.

App signing
    Opera will continue to provide signing for your Series 40 and Java applications. More information will be shared in January.

Please note that Symbian and Series 60 apps will not be re-signed by Opera, as noted in previously communicated plans for the Symbian platform.

The coming months - important dates to know
    The next few months include a number of key dates to remember:

• January to March 2015 – Throughout this period, Nokia Store customers will be notified of the transition from the Nokia Store to Opera Mobile Store and migrated to Opera Mobile Store. Beginning in January, a message will appear in the Nokia Store client. From February and concluding in March, consumers will then be transitioned over to the Opera Mobile Store.

• February 18th 2015 – Beginning February 18th 2015, developers will no longer be able to publish apps to the Nokia Publish site. Additionally, developers will no longer be able to register at developer.nokia.com or Nokia Publish.

• March 15th 2015 – All content must be chosen for migration by developers before this date.

• March 31st 2015developer.nokia.com will retire completely in March. We continue to work on a plan to migrate content from developer.nokia.com to relevant locations, and will provide more detailed information in due course.

Consumers will be able to purchase content from the Nokia Store until they are migrated to Opera Mobile Store or until March 31st 2015, whichever is first. Consumers can make in-app-billing purchase transactions until March 31st 2015.

• April 2015 – Revenue and download reports for transactions in March will continue to be available on the Nokia Publish site until April 23rd 2015. Final payments will be made to publishers for consumer purchases made through March in late April/early May. Please ensure that your bank details registered on the Nokia Publish site are up to date.

• April 23rd 2015 onwards – Beginning April 23rd, the Nokia Publish site will be retired. Revenue and download reports will be available on the site until then, after that they will only be available upon request. We recommend accessing your reports before April 23rd 2015, but will communicate the process for making subsequent requests nearer the time.

The transition to Opera Mobile Store represents a great opportunity for developers to continue working with classic Nokia phones. We hope the information outlined makes the transition simple and rewarding.

For more information, please take a look at the FAQ here. For questions on publishing apps to the Opera Mobile Store, please take a look at Opera’s FAQ here. And if you have questions on developing apps for Windows, please check out the Windows Dev Center.

We’re excited about the next phase of our journey together and hope the information outlined here makes the transition as seamless as possible.
So no support for Freemantle/Harmattan applications and signing of Symbian applications.

--
Bent Laursen
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Dec.2014 17:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Speechless and KRAP KRAP KRAPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Dec.2014 18:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So no support for Freemantle/Harmattan applications and signing of Symbian applications.

Just like I thought. It was just too optimistic and unrealistic to expect that Microsoft would resume Symbian signing services which they purposefully killed a year ago. Since the day Elop came to Nokia, they didn't do a single good thing to Symbian and MeeGo, so it would be really strange if they suddenly did something positive to it for the first time since 2010. As I wrote many times, it was a carefully thought-out DESTRUCTION PLAN of Symbian and MeeGo, and they just keep doing it even now.

If Opera at all bothers to introduce this support for Symbian in 2015 (four round years after the platform was discontinued), it must mean that there are still *MILLIONS* of Symbian phone owners buying apps (and it must be so if even just I still sell around 100 copies of my apps a month -- all those apps available for several years and not even updated since late 2013, yet still being discovered and bought by a hundred of new Symbian users each month), or else it wouldn't make any sense for Opera to make such an investment. And if so, no matter how hard to believe it may be, Symbian must be still considered a THREAT to Windows Phone (at least in sense of people still using it rather than switching to WP devices) which still struggles to get any reasonable marketshare. Allowing new Symbian apps to be signed and released would make some of those Symbian users decide to further CONTINUE using their Symbian phones rather than switch to something else, which Microsoft apparently still hopes (deludes themselves) could be WP. Shortly speaking, if they killed all Symbian signing services in late 2013 and since then haven't allowed a SINGLE Symbian app to be updated or a single new Symbian app to be released (which of course was against their business as they could have been earning 30% on each such new sale -- so the reasons of doing so and just giving up on such an easy profit must have been entirely different) then it would be just UNBELIEVABLE if they suddenly resumed Symbian signing in 2015.

To recap, just like I wrote after I heard about this "Opera migration" for the first time, this whole thing is just Microsoft's POOR EXCUSE for ceasing even those REMNANTS of Symbian support despite their public promise of full support for Symbian until 2016. Without the possibility to sign any new apps or updates, this whole mess only means that only A YEAR (or more) OLD applications (not allowed to be updated since late 2013) can be "migrated", and only VERY SIMPLE (not using any capabilities requiring digital signing) new apps can be submitted - none of which can use things like GPS, any sensors, camera, phone, network, Bluetooth, access and process/sync/modify any user data (contacts, calendar, etc), and so on. This way Microsoft makes sure that no advanced, highly demanded new apps can ever be made for Symbian.

If it wasn't about Microsoft's continued desperate efforts to kill off Symbian, they would simply license the signing technology to Opera (who might charge developers some amount for signing an app or include it in their store commission) and (without having to do anything themselves) Microsoft would make money on it. If a company like Microsoft just gives up on something that would be bringing it profits, it must mean that they are doing it because of something that's even more important to them than the money.

If they let Opera sign Series 40 apps but NOT Symbian apps, then there must be a reason for doing so. Series 40 is not a competitor to WP, while Symbian apparently still is. And apparently so is Harmattan, which (as it doesn't require any signing so it could not be blocked this way) they just don't migrate at all.

-----

Anyway, without the possibility to sign Symbian apps, this whole "migration" is worth SH*T. For a developer like me, it disallows to even just update any of my existing apps (as they'd lose their existing Nokia certificates), let alone making any new apps.

So much for their "excitement about the next phase of our journey together". Journey to hell.
Dingding11
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!
Currently banned

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Samsung

PostPosted: Sunday, 28.Dec.2014 03:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If you are using a Nokia Series 40, Series 60, Symbian, Asha or a Nokia X device –we have some good news for you.
Beginning in the first quarter of 2015, when you access the Nokia Store, you will be automatically redirected to the Opera Mobile Store. With this transition, you will not only get a fresh user interface for the app storefront, but also you will get access to the latest apps that are still being developed for your Nokia phones.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 22.Jan.2015 13:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Operator billing will end on 27th January 2015 in a number of countries, see Nokia Developer. Excerpt:
    Nokia Store Billing Coverage Update
    In December 2014, we communicated that consumers will be able to purchase content from the Nokia Store until they are re-directed to Opera Mobile Store or until March 31st 2015, whichever is first. Consumers could also continue to make in-app-billing purchase transactions until March 31st 2015.

Today we would like to share more details about the ramp down schedule for operator billing. Nokia Store Operator Billing will be gradually discontinued by the end of March 2015 based on a schedule agreed with the mobile operators.

Below is a list of markets where operator billing will end on January 27th 2015. Another set of markets will be closing at the end of February, which will be posted here in early February.

Please note: consumers will only be able to make Nokia in-app-billing (NIAP) purchase transactions until March 31st 2015 where operator billing is live.

For the following markets, operator billing will be closed on or about January 27th 2015:

• Austria
    • Chile
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Dominican Republic
    • Egypt
    • El Salvador
    • Honduras
    • Hungary
    • Kuwait
    • Oman
    • Pakistan
    • Panama
    • Puerto Rico
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • United Arab Emirates

You can check the existing billing coverage and price points at: http://developer.nokia.com/images/uploads/pdfs/Billing_Matrix.pdf

If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact nokia.store.publisher@microsoft.com.
--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic