MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
What is Jolla up to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Aug.2015 21:48    Post subject: What is Jolla up to?   Reply with quote   

Does anybody know what Jolla is doing right now? They have just one phone which is outdated and then a tablet and that's it. Do they even have money to pay salaries?

They are trying to license Sailfish but there is no words or nothing from producer.

Did they get vast quantities of cheap Vodka from Russia and are now consuming it at some random Finnish lake?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Aug.2015 23:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Does anybody know what Jolla is doing right now?

They're busy sending out announcements that their tablet can now be preordered. Just got three such emails.

The phone is now gone and forgotten. I haven't heard them referring to it in any way for many months.

Quote:

They are trying to license Sailfish but there is no words or nothing from producer.

They hoped to license it to Russia but now that Ruble is cheaper than paper it is printed on and petrol is the cheapest in the last 8 years, Russia may have more important needs and expenses...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Aug.2015 02:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

They are testing a new software release. I am running stable which at the moment is 1.1.6.27, but they will soon be rolling out 1.1.7 to a small group of regular users with the aim of offering it to everyone shortly after if all works well.

Release Notes
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Aug.2015 06:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess that Meow was asking about what they do to stay alive, i.e. something that can finally start bringing them money and marketshare...

As much as I respect all their hard work on new system releases and all the improvements, this is something that only the existing users can appreciate and benefit from. There's little if anything being done to attract any new customers. Hardly anyone (except for the handful of those who own the Jolla phone) even remember what Jolla is due to an absolute lack of any kind of promotion and any sort of activities to keep the world aware that such a thing as Sailfish OS still exists...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even those who crowdfunded the tablet are mostly (if not exclusively) those who already own the phone. This certainly isn't a good way for any expansion.

It's a shame that I was completely ignored by Jolla when I kept trying to get in touch with them. This site could have been one of the most popular and active resources promoting Sailish OS, just like it used to be in case of Symbian, Maemo and Harmattan. But no one cared to talk to me then, and no one ever got in touch with me after that.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Aug.2015 15:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Oh sorry, I guess I focused too much on the title on too little on the content of the post Razz

I have not bought the tablet and I am not planning to buy one either. Even if I wanted a tablet, then I doubt I would want to get one from Jolla. I don't trust them any more. If I buy something from then then I want to be able to expect them to fix the most important stuff first, rather than the android stack that I almost never use.

Having a calendar with my appointments in would be quite useful, but it doesn't work, because of some bug(s) that stops the phone from importing the events properly. I believe they need to fix basic stuff like this long before they can aim at a larger user share in the market. Base apps always comes before third party native apps, and that still should come before third party android apps.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Aug.2015 21:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The biggest disappointment will be when all the batteries start dying and it's still not available as a spare part one can just go and buy or at least normally order. It's still offered only as a 'warranty repair' but warranties of majority of people will soon end.

An average Lithium battery's life is around 300-400 cycles, so even if charged every two days it still only means ~ two years. Already now, lots of Jolla users are forced to experiment with other batteries:

https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/

and Jolla still does not care to provide any solution for this ridiculous situation. There is no such thing as battery in their store and they don't even talk about it anymore.

http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-accessories.html/

Bottom line, if for 2 years they haven't even been able to provide spare batteries for their product and they only replace them under warranty and then you're on your own, then maybe focusing solely on software is the best thing they can do.

P.S. I've just noticed that the total number of posts on JollaUsers.com forums (which seems to be the most active Jolla user site) is 5900. So far I was thinking that only here the Jolla section is dead, but it looks that it is a general disaster.

On the other hand, what are people supposed to talk about if there's hardly any native software as Jolla still hasn't done anything to encourage anyone to start making it and there's still no way to sell any apps. Same story for two years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic