MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
My N9 just died!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairmont1998
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Nokia N9

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Apr.2012 09:14    Post subject: My N9 just died!   Reply with quote   

I think my N9 just had an unspectacular death.
Was using the web app and also wanted to open the facebook app. Handset seemed to freeze on the fb splash screen so swiped it closed.
Then the web app closed and wouldn't reopen. No problem I thought, I'll reboot the handset.
Turned it off, waited for the LED to go out, held the power button til it vibrated.
Nokia logo appears on the screen, but the rotating circle around it on start up isn't there and the phone powers itself off again after 30 seconds or so.
Plugged it in to the charger, usb icon appears briefly, which it has never done before and the nokia logo appears. LED also blinking. Then it powers itself off, and repeats the process. Powers up, USB icon appears then disappears. Nokia logo stays on screen, LED blinking, then powers off. Repeat.
Plugging it into a USB port gives no access to the phone memory.

Any suggestions before I take it in for repairs?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Apr.2012 14:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Any suggestions before I take it in for repairs?

It looks like a software issue, not a hardware failure, so there's no need to send it for repair.

The easiest way to go is to download the Nokia Software Updater program and reflash the N9 with it. Unfortunately, this will wipe your data, but almost certainly will revive the unit.

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/NokiaSoftwa reUpdaterSetup_EN.exe

P.S. I'm not sure which data will be erased by the NSU as I never needed to use it with the N9.

MyDocs partition (i.e. all music, videos, documents, etc.) most probably remains intact. I don't know how about contents of the /home/ partition (which contains settings, contacts, etc.). And rootfs obviously gets fully reflashed, so all apps will have to be reinstalled from scratch.
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Apr.2012 07:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You won't lose any documents or account settings flashing with NSU but all apps will have to be reinstalled.
fairmont1998
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.May.2012 05:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Update:
Already had NSU installed on my laptop but wouldn't detect phone when connected. Decided to send it to nokia to fix before I got overly frustrated and threw it at a wall Razz

What a mistake that was...
Sent the phone to them on the 2/4/12. Received a package back on 10/4/12 (delayed due to Easter long weekend). Package contained someone elses phone and paperwork! Rang them immediately and can only speak to someone in india. Great. I live in Adelaide, my phone was repaired in Adelaide but I have to speak to someone in a different continent...
Turns out my phone was sent to a lady in Canberra, and I got hers. So they sent out a courier bag for me to return her phone and did the same to her.
Eventually on the 17/4/12 they advised they had my N9 and were couriering it to me.
Now the good bit. They stuffed up the address and the phone ended up at the courier depot as "undeliverable". More angry phone calls to india that night. Now I have a case manager assigned to the case who tells me on the 19th he's sending out a new handset. Rings me again on the 20th to tell me the phone will be dispatched on the 23rd. Are you kidding? It should have been dispatched yesterday...
26th, he rings again to ask if I have it. No. should come tomorrow. I promised to call him if it doesn't.
Friday 27th he rings me to tell me he has followed up my case and the phone is definitely being despatched today. It was suppose to arrive by today at the latest! The excuse, they had to track down my old handset. What, you think I had it already? If I knew they were waiting to track down my old one I would have had that sent to me. It has my stuff on it.
So, miracle of miracles, the new handset did arrive on monday.
Not bad. Over 4 weeks for a 5 minute software repair.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.May.2012 05:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What a mess.... Another sign of Elop's new order.
Good that you got it at all...

NSU probably wasn't recognizing the phone because it needs the phone running (the system loaded). I guess you could use flasher.exe (with firmware files downloaded from Navifirm) which discovers the phone at the bootloader stage, so it can be used even if the OS is damaged.

Next time let us know instead of sending the phone, we'll guide you on how to use flasher.exe. It'll save you some time Wink

The following users say THANKS! for this post: fairmont1998

fairmont1998
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.May.2012 07:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I will for sure. Nokia aren't getting their hands on this phone again!
Thanks Michal.

PS I love this phone, best one I've ever had. Its a pity nokia are going down the path they are with product and customer support. I can truly see the end coming soon.
rupeshbandekar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 16

Phone: N82, E71, E72, E7, E6, N9

PostPosted: Sunday, 17.Jun.2012 11:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

NSU probably wasn't recognizing the phone because it needs the phone running (the system loaded). I guess you could use flasher.exe (with firmware files downloaded from Navifirm) which discovers the phone at the bootloader stage, so it can be used even if the OS is damaged.

Next time let us know instead of sending the phone, we'll guide you on how to use flasher.exe. It'll save you some time Wink

mr. Michal i am facing the same problem with my n9, suddenly giving continues reboots till the nokia logo and the rings appear, later got an error saying device not working properly, try updating software with nsu.
I downloaded nsu, but when i connected my n9 to the pc, a popup came saying drivers not installed properly. And now same rebooting persists. Please help me. I am from India and n9 is not launched here and i doubt weather nokia care india would help me Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 18.Jun.2012 01:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As I wrote in the message you quoted above, NSU will not work with your phone because NSU only recognizes phones which can normally boot the system and the "Sync and connect" connection mode is chosen.

In case of a phone that doesn't boot, you'd need to use FLASHER.EXE flashing tool (command line based) from Nokia

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php?f=WinFlasher_ 3.12.1.exe

with Nokia N9 firmware files downloaded using the Navifirm software:

http://www.symbian-toys.com/navifirm.aspx

You can find some detailed step-by-step instructions in this thread @ the meego.com forum:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=34379
rupeshbandekar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 16

Phone: N82, E71, E72, E7, E6, N9

PostPosted: Monday, 18.Jun.2012 08:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks Michal for the links, I am bit new to this stuff and not much used to. But i will try and understand first the procedure.Thank you once again. Iwill get back soon
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 18.Jun.2012 22:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But i will try and understand first the procedure.

All you need to do is basically to download the firmware files using the Navifirm program and then type the commands listed in that thread...
andrea20444
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: n9, lumia 620

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Sep.2015 06:35    Post subject: n9 frozen screen   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

Hi there!
I've just had a n9 phone inin exchange of a lumia 800 that the technical service broke. The phone is practilly brand new, but I couldn't do anything since the software was not update, so I download Nokia Software Updater and connected my phone. It took about 8 hours ti update and when it finished, the program showed a new update that would take 5 minutes. I select the option to update and about 2 minutes after, it showed a problem, and now my phone just shows this sign "re-update the Operative Sistem authorized". and then light up. I don't know if the phone turns off or not because I didn't use it for the reason I mention before. When I connect the phone to the pc, Nokia Pc Suite doesn't allow me to do anything since the phone is in "data transference", and of course, I can't change the connection option. Nokia Software Updater either let me re-install or do anything.

Hope you can help me Crying or Very sad
alltracboy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N9, N95 8Gb

PostPosted: Thursday, 22.Oct.2015 12:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

navifirm looks to be paid application now. I just want to uninstall nitrodroid, but ovi suite can not update my phone. NSU can not find my device via usb. I do not have OVI or Suite mode on it. Shop is dead, Developer mode cannot be activated due lack of server.. I do not know what to do now.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Friday, 23.Oct.2015 09:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If you want to flash the phone again you can get the software, here:
http://www.mrcrab.net/nokia/Nokia_N9.html?productID=4823499691&product Type=RM-696&releaseID=7048842309&version=40.2012.21.3
Use the right version to your region.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic