MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
New Sailfish OS 2.0 (1.1.9.28) available for early access

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 17:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfish-os-2-0-now-available wrote:
Sailfish OS 2.0 now available for the Jolla smartphone!

Quote:
The next OS upgrade will include further improvements to the Sailfish OS user experience, and it will complete the transition to Sailfish OS 2.0. At that point the software version numbering will also jump to 2.0.

It looks like Jolla can't decide whether this is SFOS2.0 or not. First they say it is out and later in the same announcement they say that the version number won't be increased to 2.0 until next release.

My phone times out when I ask it to check for updates so it still says last check 7 days ago.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 17:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
the problem that if you mess around with your ambience you can accidently totally turn silent any alarm. It's good to have that feature , but some people complaint about having been late to work because they didn't know they turned the alarm totally silent.[/b]

Laughing Never use an Alpha device and Beta Os as your main device
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 18:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
It looks like Jolla can't decide whether this is SFOS2.0 or not. First they say it is out and later in the same announcement they say that the version number won't be increased to 2.0 until next release.

Well, for the normal user, this update 1.1.9.28 was a major one because the UI changed a lot and the gestures changed as well. And all of that will not change with the next release. The next release will change some things under the hood.

So I think it's legitimate to talk about SFOS2.0 already with the 1.1.9.28. Most of the standard users would not notice the "technical" version number anyway. It's a new UI so a new version. And for us developers it's correct that the release is not yet 1.2.x but still 1.1.x, because the update is not yet complete. Wink

Anyway, just numbers and names. It's all hollow words.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 18:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Never use an Alpha device and Beta Os as your main device

That's correct. As we are in early access group we are aware of that. But now they roll out that very same version to all users and they don't call it beta. So that's a problem IMHO.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 18:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
[...]

That's correct. As we are in early access group we are aware of that. But now they roll out that very same version to all users and they don't call it beta. So that's a problem IMHO.

Sailfish device were never release worldwide. It only sold to those who are from geek community and those that know meego. They never release the device on the street store or some mobile shop.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 20:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have now updated to 1.1.9.28 and I must say it looks really neat. I did however reenable "quick close apps when swiping from top".

I do also miss the option to find the quick start menu from start, it is still in lock screen, but I have made using it a habit from start screen too. I like having quick access to the settings by selecting the second from top-pulldown menu rather than from the pulldown list. I do like to enable/disable cellular Internet a lot, and that is done from settings.

It does look neat the animations when I select something, but it takes so long that I think it will become irritating when the new experience passes.

And it is nice to finally have æøå working in tohkbd. Finally I can use it all the time and not needing to close it to get touch keyboard every time I need to write those characters.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 00:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:

Yes. That's just as it was intended. If there os no major bug, just the same version gets rolled out to the masses. It's funny because I think there have been some bugs that I'd call major.

That's why I asked. I've been experiencing some quite annoying bugs myself. For example, the ambience picture suddenly disappearing from the home screen and making it completely black. And several other issues. So I expected that at least some bugs would be removed in the public release, especially if it is 2.0, i.e. what they call "the next step".

But no. Now they say that there will be another update coming, and only that one will change the version numbering to 2.0 and "complete the transition to SFOS 2". As if they couldn't delay THIS public release by a week or two and simply fix all the bugs and change the number.... Especially that there was no need to hurry because all those who could not wait for this update have simply obtained it as the "early access" one.

Ketlik wrote:

They are #unlike...

naytsyrhc wrote:

Well, for the normal user, this update 1.1.9.28 was a major one

Question is, how many such "normal users" are there... The Jolla is a phone mostly used by geeks (or at least by people who are not afraid to play with their phone and get the most out of it). I wouldn't be surprised if some 90% of users got the "early access" release. Which would make the today's one totally useless...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 00:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Oh, and it looks that they updated the SDK as well, as its number has changed from Beta 1507 to Beta 1509 (yet another numbering scheme not matching anything else).

As always, the SDK can't just be updated but it takes removing and reinstalling everything ("If you have an existing Sailfish OS Beta SDK it must be removed"). I bet that all the same Qt libs are still missing, so it will force me to reinstall all of them from scratch once again - to both targets, to the emulator.... Geez, you guys have no idea how annoying it is!

I really hoped that along with SFOS 2.0 they would finally release a FINAL SDK. But no. The changelog does not mention ANY bug fixes.

https://sailfishos.org/develop/sdk-overview/develop-installation-artic le/
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 01:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if some 90% of users got the "early access" release. Which would make the today's one totally useless...

I am a geek, but I am not on early access and have never been. I do use it as my primary phone so I would prefer it not breaking too badly. I would not mind if Jolla slowed the releases down to make fewer but better releases, but on the other hand I don't mind the current speed either.

In 1.1.7 did have some issues with lag once I received a call, took maybe 30 seconds to accept the call because the interface wasn't responding, but assuming the new version is less prone to lag I do hope there are no really major issues for me. As long as calling, sms, email, and browser work I can live with glitches elsewhere. Communication may need to happen at short notice, but things like updating the phone, or installing apps is not something I usually do in a hurry anyways, so I won't mind any glitches there.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 03:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

In 1.1.7 did have some issues with lag once I received a call, took maybe 30 seconds to accept the call

With a lag of 30 seconds, I wouldn't be able to pick up any calls, because in my mobile network unanswered calls gets automatically disconnected (or redirected to the voice mail) after 30 seconds Cool

As far as I remember, even the N900 (heavily customized/enhanced with additional packages) had lags much shorter than that, up to several seconds I'd say.

If I had such lags, I'd update instantly, even to the 'early access' version.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 320

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 07:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I sometimes have that lag on incomong call, too. directly pocking up doesn't work then.
What does work though is using side edge swipe gesture to move phone app to background and then using cover gesture to answer the call. Not perfect, but working much better than waiting 30 seconds...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Ketilk

Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Sep.2015 18:31    Post subject: Not bad, realy   Reply with quote   

I like Very Happy. Battery life is shorter Crying or Very sad. No limit to apps open it seems.... Cool Cool. Dont see why we need the first screen though Confused.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2015 03:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Dont see why we need the first screen though

Well, it's empty only when there are no apps running (and thus no Active Covers to show there). It works the same way on BB10, but BB10's advantage is that it has an option in Settings so that the empty home screen (when no apps are running) can be hidden/omitted should the user prefer so - if set so, the user gets right to the Hub from the Launcher (list of app icons) with no empty home screen in between (it is only shown when some apps are running, i.e. some covers shown there).

Maybe Jolla should provide a similar option, as such an empty home screen is indeed completely useless, unless one likes to just stare at the wallpaper Very Happy
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2015 10:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Maybe if you use a password it makes sense, it does not show any clues before you unlock it. Never tried that.
Camelus
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
8 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 61

Phone: E61i, E90, P990, E51, N95, E71, E7

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Oct.2015 11:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I've read all the comments on the 2.0, as I'm thinking to replace my current phone (good old one E-7 is starting to slowly die after few years of usage). As it's going to be my main device, I need to think a bit whether I'm geek enough Wink

I will also contact them to check whether they're planning to sell any other TOH colour options, as I don't think I want white or aloe Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic