MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Support request

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Sep.2015 05:37    Post subject: Support request   Reply with quote   

Guys,

In a couple of weeks I will need to pay another yearly invoice, if I want to keep the site alive for another year. The amount to be paid will be ~ 200 EUR.

The site does not bring any revenue anymore. My only source is now my BB10 software, but even that is in the $100-150/month range, which simply gets spent on my living needs. Shortly speaking, I just can't afford paying for the site and I will have to close it if no one is able to help, so its future depends entirely on whether a few of the remaining users can (and are willing to) donate this amount or at least a considerable part of it.

As you know, the only active part of the site for now is the forum - that's simply because there's still nothing to start running a site for. I still hope that this situation will change - hence the intention to still keep the server alive (and launching the site as soon as there's anything to run it for) - but of course it does not depend on me, so I can't promise anything. But at least the forum (and the old sites) will stay as they are.

So, whoever can donate a few bucks, so that maybe in total it brings the needed amount, please support this site once again and keep it alive for another year. Thank you very much.

Donate via Paypal

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Friday, 09.Oct.2015 02:18; edited 2 times in total
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Sep.2015 08:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal,

My contribution Smile

97593709NX2585233
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Sep.2015 10:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal,

another on on the way...

8GM46062B5874073S
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Sep.2015 06:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda, alexpain,

Thank you very much guys. Apologies for replying late, I had to take my mom to the hospital today (cardiac problems), so in the following days I will also be online only late.

I've got around $55 of donations, i.e. some $180 to go.

---

P.S. In the second half of September and in October, I will re-port my apps to Sailfish OS again. Those who donate will receive apps of their choice, for the amount matching their donation.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Sep.2015 21:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So, guys, is there anyone else left who can help? Any amount will be helpful.

To make it clear, to keep the site alive it also takes several other expenses, including prolongation of domains and SSL certificate, so it's not that I am only relying on donations, I am covering these costs myself. It's just that all the costs combined are really beyond what I can spend when the site does not provide any revenue, and therefore I am asking for donations to cover the server subscription fee. My own financial situation is now poor with little hope for improvement.

Those who visit the forums regularly, please consider supporting it with a few bucks one more time, even just to be able to keep coming here over the next 12 months. Despite the situation, it would still be a shame to have to just delete everything.

Thank you very much, once again.
alexpain
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
20 in 19 posts
Thanks given: 47

Phone: N9, wave8500

PostPosted: Friday, 04.Sep.2015 09:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Come on guys!
A lot of information would be lost if the site is closed!

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 04.Sep.2015 23:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, it doesn't look like anyone else finds it worth helping, so clearly it's time to go. I managed to keep it alive during the last very tough three years, but everything has to end one day. Believe me, it's not a nice thing to have to ask people for money, especially if the response is like this, i.e. none. It's actually quite sad and humiliating. But I'm doing it because it would really be a shame to have to just wipe off 16 years of this site's history and all the information.

That missing $150-$180 would save everything for another 12 months (i.e. by the time when Nokia will be resuming their smartphone business which brings some hope), but clearly there's no one else left who cares, so I'll just have to close it after 16 years of service, and probably I'll be the only one who'll regret it. Even Commodore Amiga sites manage to stay alive after 25 years thanks to users' support, but it's not the case here.

Please note that over the past years I did *everything* I could to make the cost as low as possible. First I moved the sites from a dedicated server to two virtual servers, which lowered the cost nearly by half (from ~ 500 EUR to 300 EUR last year). This year, as the traffic further dropped allowing for further cost reduction, I put it all on a single virtual server (the stronger of the two as the other one was too weak) which resulted in the yearly cost of ~ 200 EUR (which equals some 15 EUR a month), i.e. a further 100 EUR less. There's absolutely nothing else I can do.

Notice how this thread was viewed nearly 800 times already, in 2 days. This shows how many people still visit the sites and read the forums. According to Google analytics, there are still up to around 3000 page views daily. But there are TWO people who donated, and no one else to even just SAY something. If with thousands of page views daily it is impossible to get support which would cover 15 EUR/month of running costs, then it is really DEVASTATING.

P.S. It really isn't my fault that still no company makes business seriously enough so that launching a site for it would be possible. I think I proved countless times in the last 16 years that I am not a lazy person. Note the number of my posts on this forum (30,000 - please find another admin with such activity) and all the content I created on the existing sites. It's just that I didn't want to launch a Jolla site only to quote their press releases about how they conquer Kazakhstan or Uganda, or to review the only 5-10 existing apps worth reviewing, or to keep saying what I think about what they've been doing. The same for Ubuntu in the state it is now. I'm still waiting for them to start doing a serious business, in which case I'd INSTANTLY launch the site(s) which would bring you as rich content as all my sites used to provide in the past. I also planned to sell my Jolla apps in order to get coverage for the site's running costs, but Jolla still makes it impossible, which isn't my fault, either. But I still don't lose faith, hence the request.

If I quit now, I won't be able to restart it from scratch ever again. Therefore, I am asking once again, and for the last time, for your support, to keep the site alive one more year. As I wrote, even if Jolla does not start doing a serious business, there's still Nokia to resume their smartphone branch by the end of 2016, so there's still something worth waiting (and hoping) for. I'll wait a few more days so that you can reconsider that maybe donating just A FEW bucks by just A FEW people could in total bring the amount making it possible to preserve this site so that we could all keep meeting here over the next 12 months during which maybe something good will finally happen, if not from Jolla then maybe from Nokia. This is my last request as I think it says everything - if there's still no response, then I'll just give up... Please, give it one more chance, that's all I can say.

(P.S. Sorry for living in a country where we earn 300-400 EUR a month and can't afford such expenses ourselves - it's not our fault, either).
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 25

Phone: 700 not 4eva *sniff*

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Sep.2015 17:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just made a couple of posts about this on some Russian forums. Not 18 yet, so can't donate money. I hope I helped this way Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Sep.2015 23:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you, ABCDKE. But I actually don't want to look for external support on other websites if this website still has lots of its OWN visitors, including regular ones. Look, this very thread was already viewed 1000 times in 3 days. So either those who use this site support it, or there's just no point to continue. Why would anyone from some other websites donate to this site so that thousands of its own regular users can keep using it for free and completely ignoring support requests like this one?

It's nothing new actually, it's been like that for years. A handful of people contributing to the site and thousands (and formerly tens of thousands) just taking advantage of it and never contributing in any way. It's just that now it got even worse, to the point that collecting even just 200 EUR (i.e. as I wrote some 15-16 EUR/month) clearly isn't possible, despite thousands of people still coming here. No one cares, these days people only want "free apps", "free sites" etc. and won't bother even trying to understand that it doesn't come from nowhere and involves work and certain costs to exist. They would never work for free themselves, but they expect you to work for free for them. They will continue coming here until it's there, and if it dies (due to lack of their support) then they'll just go somewhere else. That's why all the small projects like Jolla, BB10 etc. are doomed to commercial failure - native development isn't profitable due to people not buying apps, websites about these platforms (except for huge commercial multiplatform projects like e.g. Mobile Nation / Crackberry) don't survive due to no one supporting them, and so on.

As I wrote, it's been 16 years of my life and hard work, so I naturally want to preserve it, at least as long as there's still any hope left that some serious platform will finally come out. Maybe it's naive, but I still hope that either Jolla or Nokia (or maybe both of them together) will finally come up with something in 2016 when Nokia can go back to smartphones. That's actually the last hope, and if it doesn't happen then I'll give up myself, but I'd really like to wait until then. Hence yet another attempt to keep it alive until that time, the last one.

It is this website users' choice. If I don't get any support then I'll just have to close it, that's all. And it will actually be the only reasonable thing to do as there will be no point in running a site no one wants to keep alive, right?

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, ABCDKE

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Sunday, 06.Sep.2015 06:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal - I've donated a little bit - I wish it was more, but as a pensioner, I can't really afford more. If everyone who comes here donated similarly or even less, you'd soon get the money you need.

I used to run a website (message board) for bridge players, so I know what's involved. I hope my small donation will inspire others to do the same.

All the very best of luck.

Virginia (New Zealand)
skonstantinov
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 808, Nokia N9

PostPosted: Monday, 07.Sep.2015 13:01    Post subject: Support for the site   Reply with quote   

Hi,

I have just registered to say that I donated for the cause of keeping the site on.

Let's try and keep the Symbian/Meego knowledge on, instead of losing it.

Best regards,
Stefan

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, ABCDKE

ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 25

Phone: 700 not 4eva *sniff*

PostPosted: Monday, 07.Sep.2015 19:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

@Michal
Glad I could help Very Happy
And I think that there are THOUSANDS of people who just don't know this site is in a crisis and who got a lot of help, advice and apps on this site. They should know that the place where they started loving their phones in a real crisis now. The word must be spread! Mr. Green
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
42 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Sep.2015 00:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sorry for being late...

Just donated too (8HK82237RH1953724).

Funny, I just thought I should do so a few days ago, but I didn't check the forum for over a week now, so I missed your post.

Anyway, I hope it's not too late.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Sep.2015 17:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ginniec, skonstantinov, naytsyrhc, Kleuter,

Thank you very, very much and apologies for the delay in responding. I am extremely grateful for your support. You're the very same group of persons who have helped multiple times in the past, so the more grateful I am for this. At the same time, it's very sad that FOR YEARS no one else has ever helped, despite so many other people still coming here regularly.

The only exception is skonstantinov who has just registered and donated. Thank you very much for this!

To sum up, in addition to ~ $55 received earlier, I have now received four donations worth € 55, so the total amount of donations received so far is € 100, i.e. half of the amount needed. In other words, around € 100 is still missing.

It would be enough if 10 people donated €10 each, but as we all can see there's no one willing to do this. It's very sad. So many people got so much help and information here over all those years, and now no one wants to donate an amount equal to two glasses of beer in a pub. Notice 1850 views of this thread so far.
deixi
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N9 , Jolla and I hate it

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Sep.2015 18:04    Post subject: Keep your site alive   Reply with quote   

Here is my part, I hpe the other 9 missing to fulfill spend fast enough you can keep your site alive.
krgds
André
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic