MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The End?

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 28.Jan.2016 17:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla will ship some tablets and refund the rest, see blog post:

Quote:
Jolla Tablet: Aiming for Closure

Dear Jolla Tablet supporters and other Jolla followers,

Happy New Year! Together, let’s make this an ever better one than last.

In that spirit, we now have answers for those of you who have been waiting for the next Jolla Tablet update – thanks again for your patience. As already stated in our New Year’s post, we plan to ship an additional small batch of Jolla Tablets to early Indiegogo backers. And, for the rest of our backers, we now have a refund process in place – see below for more details.

It has taken a while to get all the details in place and the final decision for the refunding process. Why? Because in addition to planning the tablet refund process, we needed to clarify the company’s overall financial situation moving forward.

Before going into more detail regarding the refund process, I would like to first revisit the recent history of and what went wrong with the Jolla Tablet project.

Why did the Jolla Tablet project end up in trouble?

After the first two Indiegogo campaigns (in November-December 2014 and February-March 2015) things looked very bright. We realized that the promised shipping schedule was very tight, and we were very confident that we could make it. However, soon after the Indiegogo campaigns, we hit the first obstacles: we experienced severe issues with component deliveries and with the display quality. Still, back in August-September 2015 as we started the pre-order campaign for the Jolla Tablet, we were confident that we could start deliveries according to the revised project schedule. And in October, we shipped the first batch of tablets – 121 units – to ensure that the order and logistics chain worked properly. Everything went smoothly.

To continue, our supplier then had their own issues and had to change factories two times for production, which again affected the schedule. Naturally, project delays also have a severe impact on budgets; it was this cycle of events, which led the project into serious trouble.

To top it all off, we entered into company-wide financial trouble as our financing round was unexpectedly delayed in the late autumn. The initial impact was that we could not pay our subcontractors, which again contributed to more delays. The financing delay resulted in a fight for the survival of our company, not just the Tablet Project.

In December, the long-awaited financing finally arrived, but at that point the company had already been hit hard. In order to continue the Jolla story, we had been forced to apply for debt-restructuring in Finland and had to temporarily lay off a large part of our organization. Despite these challenges we are continuing the story – this was just one death valley we had to pass through. And, we definitely are not yet in the clear, as we now need to rebuild our organization and recover from the hit.

What has made the past months even more stressful for us has been the realization of the amount of distress we might’ve have caused for our Jolla Tablet project supporters. It is one thing to deal with internal challenges, but when they so directly affect our dear Community, the situation becomes nearly unbearable.

Our sincerest thanks to everyone for your support and for taking a chance with us.

Getting Closure for and Resolving the Jolla Tablet Situation

We have been analyzing different alternatives regarding the Jolla Tablet project situation. But no matter how you come at it, the tight financial situation remains a major constraint and therefore a main driver of the solution. Furthermore, due to the delays in the latest financing round it has simply become too late to produce all the tablets for the project. The supplier no longer has the needed components and many of them are no longer available. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done now to change this.

In light of the above, Jolla intends to do the following:

1. Ship remaining Tablets to Indiegogo backers: we will ship 540 units as soon as we can starting from February. This was already mentioned in Juhani’s New Year’s greeting. We realize that this is just a small portion and does not help in resolving the overall situation.

2. Refund the remaining Indiegogo contributors: Jolla aims to refund the total contribution, including shipping and all accessories. Due to the financial constraints this will happen in two parts: half of the refund will be done during Q1/2016, and the other half within a year, our financial situation permitting.

The Tablet shipping and refund processes start immediately once all the practicalities are in place. Specific to refunding, we plan to establish and ramp up the refunding process and start refunding during the course of February.

You will be receiving an email with instructions on what to do. Please wait for that, before contacting our service and support team.

Once again, we apologize from the bottom of our hearts for the inconvenience, and, of course, hope for your continued support.

Your Jolla captain,
Antti

Frequently asked questions:

Q: I ordered the Jolla Tablet directly from the Jolla Shop in the autumn, and not from Indiegogo. What happens to my order?
A: As your transaction was a product order, you will be refunded for the total value of the purchase. No action is required from you at this point, you will receive an email confirmation about it.

Q: I contributed on the first day of the Indiegogo campaign. Does this mean I get a tablet?
A: There were thousands of contributions done during the first hours of the campaign, and we will make every effort to fulfill according to the order in which contributions were made. You will either get an invite to complete your order based on your contribution or you will receive further instructions on how to get a refund.

Q: What does the future of Sailfish OS look like?
A: After the awaited financing came in in December, Jolla has been able to continue the development of Sailfish OS. We are currently receiving significant interest from different mobile industry players to license the operating system. One of the publicly announced projects is the community driven Fairphone project, but there are many other negotiations going on and Sailfish OS is gradually taking steps to become an OS used by multiple device vendors. However, Jolla is still very tight financially and is currently negotiating with its creditors for extended payment terms so that all the available financial resources could be efficiently used to secure the needed OS development.

Q: Why did you use Indiegogo funds for software development?
A: There has been a lot of discussion on the Jolla Blog about the allocation of the Indiegogo contributions towards OS development and not the tablet itself. Last year a significant part of the OS development efforts were for the tablet; Sailfish OS 1.0 would not have worked on the tablet and the different HW platform also required a lot work – it was a completely new chipset, requiring completely new hardware adaptation. Jolla Tablet is not a Jolla Tablet without Sailfish OS 2.0. and thus it is natural that a big part of the project was focused on this.

Q: Why are there Jolla Tablets (still) on sale at Taobao in China?
A: Jolla as a company has nothing to do with these devices – please note that these devices are not running Sailfish OS, but Android. We continue to investigate this matter.

Q: Was the August-September pre-order campaign built to save the project? Were you in financial trouble already back then?
A: No. During the autumn we were still very confident that we could ship the devices according to the new schedule after the unexpected delays.

Q: Why didn’t you communicate more frequently during the campaign?
A: We realize now that in the Spring/Summer 2015 we were not that proactive in our communication. We were anticipating the project to proceed with speed, and aimed at communicating about that next. This was clearly a mistake, we did not communicate proactively enough.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Jan.2016 11:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, this is sad but probably the only sensible thing to do.

The only thing I don't understand is why on earth they wrote in the last blog post something along the lines of "we might even have some surprise for you. Feel free to speculate!"

I think that did more harm than good - e.g. if you look at a lot of angry posts on t.m.o. where people feel betrayed, scammed and so on.

I (as a IGG supporter) actually have no problem with waiting for second half of refund for another year given jolla's financial situation.

At last, some information....
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Jan.2016 19:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Having an app store is lucrative business. Apple takes 30% of every sold app which would make any pimp blush. The cut for Microsoft is less but still enough for them to be interested. As Michal often pointed out is the lack of an app store is completely insane. They should have planned it from the very start and it would at least generate some revenue.

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Jan.2016 01:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:
The only thing I don't understand is why on earth they wrote in the last blog post something along the lines of "we might even have some surprise for you. Feel free to speculate!"

Maybe some of the backers can choose to get a Fairphone with Sailfish OS 2.0 installed, since that phone was mentioned in the latest blog post.

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Jan.2016 22:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I do understand that Jolla wanted to showcase their OS running (in real life condictions, on real end-user devices) on both the phone and tablet. This certainly can help to find partners.

But I do not understand, no matter how hard I try, why they so stubbornly refuse to do absolutely anything about support for developing and distributing native apps. An existing, vivid ecosystem and developer community would also be an important and encouraging factor to find a partner. And it wouldn't cost much - on the contrary, a proper app store would actually start earning them money.

But no. It's been now almost 3 years that they've been treating native development like a stinky egg and keeping as far away from it as possible. No one else but themselves can understand it.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, BentL

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Feb.2016 14:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla has added new points to their FAQ, see blog post:

Quote:
Frequently asked questions:
(Updated on Jan 29,2016):

(New)
Q: If I do not want a refund, and want to donate the money to the future of Jolla. What can I do?
A: We are very happy to receive this question, thanks for the support! If you are an Indiegogo backer, you will be asked to apply for a refund. By simply ignoring this you will be donating the funds to Jolla for its exclusive use. If you are a pre-order customer (August-September 2015) and would like to donate your pre-order payment to Jolla please submit a request here.

(NEW)
Q: One seller in China says that they will ship Jolla Tablets with Sailfish OS. Can I buy this and receive normal software updates and use the Jolla Store etc.?
A: As these are not official Jolla devices, we can’t be sure what changes have been made to HW/SW. These devices might not receive software updates, and Jolla Store might not be used on them.

(NEW)
Q: Why can’t Jolla buy these devices back and ship them officially? How many devices are there available in China?
A: The approx 500 devices we aim to ship to IGG backers are from the same batch as these devices. Unfortunately the manufacturer had already sold the few hundred devices to resellers before we could get them back.

--
Bent Laursen
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Feb.2016 15:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Q: If I do not want a refund, and want to donate the money to the future of Jolla. What can I do?
A: We are very happy to receive this question, thanks for the support! If you are an Indiegogo backer, you will be asked to apply for a refund. By simply ignoring this you will be donating the funds to Jolla for its exclusive use. If you are a pre-order customer (August-September 2015) and would like to donate your pre-order payment to Jolla please submit a request here.

This is terrible, I think it would be better to ask those who want to donate to let them know, rather than the other way around. Miss one critical email for too long, and they treat it as a donation. I am glad I did not join in on the campaign.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 03:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

This is terrible, I think it would be better to ask those who want to donate to let them know, rather than the other way around. Miss one critical email for too long, and they treat it as a donation. I am glad I did not join in on the campaign.

Not only terrible but extremely ARROGANT. Emails get lost sometimes - misconfigured email server (at either end), someone at the Jolla end deletes some message by mistake, etc., and people's money just 'get donated'. And "donating the funds to Jolla for its exclusive use" also sounds very impolite. I'd very much prefer knowing what exactly the money would be spent on: further OS development, current running costs, debt, etc.

I'd be curious to know if those who are asked to apply for refund and "ignore it" (which will result in Jolla treating it as a donation) will at least get some "Thank you" email then.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 20.Feb.2016 15:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Some Jolla Tablet pre-order customers will now get a refund, see Jolla Newsletter:

Quote:
Jolla Tablet Pre-order: Your refund is being processed

Dear Jolla Tablet Pre-order Customer,

As you may know, the Jolla Tablet project has since been discontinued. You can read more here.

As such, and seeing as Jolla will be unable to fulfill you order, Jolla has decided to provide you a full refund.

Jolla will be advising PayPal to issue you a refund within the next few days. PayPal will subsequently process your refund as soon as they can. And, depending on how you paid, it may take up to 30 days for the money to become available to you.

Nothing further is required of you at this time, as we have a record of your transaction.

We apologize for the drawn-out nature of this case and we thank you again for considering Jolla Tablet powered by SFOS.

Sincerely,

Jolla Ltd.

P.S. should you not get a notification from PayPal within 2 to 3 weeks, simply send a request to us here.

--
Bent Laursen

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Mar.2016 12:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

An update on the Jolla Tablet, see blog post:

Quote:
Jolla Tablet: project update, how do we move from here

Hi all Jolla Tablet backers and other Jolla followers,

Even though we’ve been busy with Mobile World Congress 2016 and all the excitement lately, we haven’t forgotten about our Tablet backers, and have been working hard on the Closure project. Now we felt it was time to give you a progress report.

We have been pursuing all three avenues of the Tablet project’s closure in parallel: shipping the remaining batch of tablets, refunding Indiegogo contributors, and refunding our pre-order customers. The team is small and there’s a lot to do, but we are making progress all the time.

Indiegogo refunds

The Indiegogo refund process is a bit complex due to the sheer number of contributions and contributors (22,000 and 10,000, respectively), and differing refund practices for the different payment providers used during the campaign. We are receiving a lot of help from our partners, though, and are very grateful for their help in achieving what we have set out to do.

We are currently developing a tool to collect the necessary information from contributors, one which will enable us to automate the refunding process. The tool will be utilized to collect and validate, e.g., contribution email, contribution pledge ID(s) and PayPal data, and it will gather other necessary inputs to enable PayPal refunds. For those who paid with credit card, we will need to have a valid PayPal address, otherwise we have no destination to refund to – we realize this will be an inconvenience for some, however, this is the only way we will be executing refunds.

It will still take some time to finalize the Tablet refund process and ensure that everything works as planned. However, we are still targeting the first half of refunds will be well underway during Q1/2016, as previously estimated. Once again we will be communicating specifics via this blog and via email to Tablet backers when we are ready to go.

And also as already promised we will email all of you with instructions on what you need to do.

Tablet shipments

*Update* We have just recently shipped a batch of 77 devices to backers who earlier confirmed their order in the Jolla Shop.

For the rest of the shipments: Chinese New Year stalled operations in China and Hong Kong for a bit, and we are continuing to prepare the shipments as quickly as we possibly can. A part of this work is creating the invites list, which we have to review carefully, as some contributors have moved to unsupported countries, and we know that some email addresses have expired. We are doing our utmost to ensure that the earliest contributors who are actually able to receive a Tablet will receive one.

Once we are ready to ship, we will be sending out email invites asking recipients to confirm their order and provide any updates to shipping details.

We anticipate these invites to go out in the next couple of weeks.

Pre-Order refunds

In addition to the above, we have also progressed with Pre-Order customer refunds (pre-orders made through Jolla online Shop during August-September 2015). After successfully issuing refunds to a small trial batch of pre-orders, we were able to execute refunds for all Pre-order Customers. PayPal will subsequently process refunds as soon as they can. And, depending on how one paid, it may take up to 30 days for the money to become available. Nothing further is required of Pre-order customers at this time, as we have a record of all transactions. All pre-order customers were notified via email prior to executing the refunds.

If you suspect/encounter problems/any issues in/with receiving your Pre-Order refund, please contact PayPal, and if they so instructed, contact us.

We hope you guys enjoyed this update, as we’re very happy to be able to report this progress. Please stay tuned to the Blog for our Mobile World Congress 2016 summary and update. We’re really proud about our cooperation with Intex, and can’t wait to tell you more.

Happy sailing into spring 2016!

On behalf of the Jolla team, Juhani

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Mar.2016 23:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

... and still not a single word about proper support for development of native software and about support for paid apps in the Jolla store...

Especially now that several other manufacturers are going to offer Sailfish OS based devices, the Jolla store could become what Google Play store is on Android, i.e. the main platform's store, common for all manufacturers.

But no.

How unbelievably idiotic.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, ABCDKE

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Mar.2016 13:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So true, Michal.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16.Mar.2016 18:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla Tablet refund instructions, see blog post:

Quote:
Jolla Tablet: refund instructions

Dear Indiegogo Jolla Tablet backer,

We have just recently sent emails to all people in the Tablet refund program, with the same information as below. If you did not receive the email, because your email address has changed etc. please follow the instructions below. Also if you are among the early Indiegogo contributors who will receive a Jolla Tablet, you will get an invitation to the Jolla Shop soon and the tool will notify you of this.

As described in our previous blog post we are now proceeding with refunds for the Jolla Tablet. In order to facilitate this, we kindly ask you to visit our Tablet refund processing tool and fill in your personal contribution information.

This tool will be available from 16.March.2016 and Jolla will keep it open at least until 16.April.2016. At that point, Jolla will assess whether or not to extend for a short period of time the availability of the tool. After this, the tool will be closed and Jolla will no longer be accepting refund requests.

What you need to do:

Page 1:

1. Fill in your original Indiegogo backer email, i.e., the email address you used to make the contribution/contributions. For help with this go here.
2. Add your original contribution/pledge ID that you got when making the contribution. For help on this go here.

Page 2:

1. Here you will see all your contributions, please verify that the info is correct.
2. If you wish to decline the refund, and donate the money to the future of Jolla and Sailfish OS, please tick the box “no refund” here.
3. Fill in your current email address if it is not the same as the one used when making the original Tablet contribution via Indiegogo.
4. If you did not use PayPal to pay for your contribution, you will need to provide us a PayPal ID, i.e. an email address associated with a valid PayPal account*. If you do not have one, you will need to create one here.
(* If you have not used PayPal before, please note that you can use the funds to either buy online with PayPal or withdraw the money.)

Once you have submitted your backer information, and it has been validated, we can then proceed with issuing the refund. Refunds will be processed on a weekly basis and seeing as there will be international money transfers involved, please allow for up to 3 to 4 weeks before you see funds on your PayPal account.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

On behalf of the whole Jolla Team
Juhani

FAQ:

Q. When will I get my refund?
A. Once you have provided us your details and they are confirmed, we will then process refunds in bulk on a weekly basis. As there are international money transfers involved, this whole process can take anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks before you see any funds on your PayPal account.

Q. Will I get refunds for all my contributions?
A. For Indiegogo contributors Jolla will refund 50% of all your contributions (including accessories, updates, shipping) now and 50% later when our financial situation permits that. This was communicated earlier in the Tablet update blog. We aim to keep you apprised of this over time. And, be advised that once you have received the first part of the refund, you do not need to reenter the tool and provide your details again.

--
Bent Laursen

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2016 18:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, at least that part worked quite easily.
Now let's see how long it takes to actually get the refund...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 12.Apr.2016 14:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla Tablet delivery and refund update, see blog post:

Quote:
Jolla Tablet: final deliveries and refund reminders out

Dear Jolla Tablet contributors and other Jolla followers,

Our small Jolla team here has been working hard to get everything moving properly for the Jolla Tablet closure effort. There are lots of moving parts both in the device shipment and the refund side of things – we’ve also got a lot of questions and requests from many of you, and we’re trying to help everyone with issues.

Lately we’ve made quite a lot of overall progress, and here’s a quick update on that. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Jolla Tablet shipments

If you’re among the lucky ones to receive a Jolla Tablet, and you have not yet completed your order in the Jolla Shop, you should have received an email prompting you to complete your order last week. We sent close to 400 new invitations, and most invitees have already done this, but there is still a bunch of you who have not yet acted. So please check your emails (also junk box) for this email and act immediately.

Please complete your order in the shop by April 14, 2016, i.e., by Thursday this week. If you do not complete the order by then, your spot will be given to the next one in line and you will be eligible for a refund.

After you’ve completed your order it should take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the device to ship/to be dispatched.

Refund program: final week to fill in the refund request

First of all, thanks to all of you who have already submitted your data to the refund tool, this helps us a lot in this process. Close to 75% of all eligible Indiegogo contributors have now done this.

Yesterday we sent out final reminders to all of you who have not yet submitted your data to the refund tool. Please check your email or read the info from our earlier blog post.

The refund tool will be open until this week Saturday, April 16, 2016. Please submit your details before that date to ensure you are included in the tablet refund process.

Once we have collected all the information we will proceed with actual payment of the 1st of two (2) refund rounds. A large portion of the 1st round of refund payments should be completed still during this month, and the remainder of the 1st round refund payments we anticipate being carried out during early May 2016.

If you run into any problems using the refund tool, please submit a request to Jolla Service and Support here.

Thanks again for your help and support in finalizing this part of the Jolla Tablet closure effort!

On behalf of the whole Jolla Tablet crew,
Juhani

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic