MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2016 10:40    Post subject: Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2   Reply with quote   

Just wanted to share an interesting article with you:

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.de/2016/01/news-story-sailfish-os-on-fairp hone-2.html#more

Quote:

European flagship phone with European operating system combines ethics and ideologies in the mobile industry
An interview based story on how a Dutch mobile phone Fairphone 2 gets a Finnish operating system Sailfish OS via great community involvement. Two communities wanted this to succeed. Two companies wanted that too. And it did. Jolla and Fairphone shares their comments below as well, both of them supporting this unofficial project.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2016 20:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nice!
A fully supported version of SFOS on Fairphone 2 would be really nice...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 20.Jan.2016 04:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't get it. If the TWO companies wanted it then why is this project left UNOFFICIAL? How little would it take to fully polish it and make it available officially? Each such fully polished and official release of Sailfish OS on such a popular device would potentially make other companies interested in it. Unofficial community projects won't attract anyone but a few geeks.

I understand that SFOS is available unofficially for the Nexus, because LG doesn't give a **** about it and would not ship phones with it. But if the Fairphone maker WANTS it then launching it as unofficial, community project is yet another completely incomprehensible decision. Fairphone 2 with its modularity (and quite decent specs, e.g. the same CPU as in the BB Passport) is considered really cool by lots of people and it might give SFOS some really decent promotion, maybe bigger than the Jolla phone itself did.

Honestly, if I was Jolla and was given such an opportunity, I'd suspend all other activities and fully focused on quickly making an official, fully polished release for the device so that it could be offered officially, e.g. as an option to choose by the user during the first boot, or downloadable and easily flashable (and fully supported) by the existing users.

As I wrote in another thread, I stopped understanding that company long ago.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 20.Jan.2016 13:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, I can understand it from Fairphone's point of view.

they are also a small company, they had their Android version ("Fairphone OS") tailored to their needs by some external company. So I assume software skills within the company are rather small.
They are afraid of having to support not only one, but two versions of their phone with completely different software on it.
Their official statement is that they like the idea, will see how far community porting goes and if and when everything works, they might officially support SFOS as an alternative OS.
They have not strong need to support SFOS because it looks like their phone is selling quite well (within the expected small range, of course).

From Jolla's point of view, I must also say it should be their vital interest to get the system running properly on Fairphone 2 - they should offer to Fairphone that they will handle software related support requests etc. .
For them it is crucial that they get their system running on more HW platforms.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2016 01:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well, I can understand it from Fairphone's point of view.

Well, either they want it or they don't...

As I wrote, an unofficial release for the Fairphone means just as little as an unofficial release for the (incomparably much more popular) Nexus 4 or 5 does, i.e. absolutely nothing. No one has ever bought the Nexus in order to install SFOS as primary OS on it. So such community ports give Jolla 0,00% of marketshare increase. The most they get out of it is a couple of geeks having fun.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 21.Mar.2016 14:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Fairphone has partnered with Jolla, see tweet:

Quote:
Fairphone partners with @JollaHQ.

The Fairphone 2 is now available at T-Mobile in Austria, see T-Mobile Austria.

Here is a guide on how to install Sailfish 2.0 on Fairphone 2:

[guide] Install Sailfish OS on Fairphone 2
http://reviewjolla.blogspot.no/2016/03/guide-install-sailfish-os-on-fa irphone-2.html

--
Bent Laursen
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 21.Mar.2016 19:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If they announce official Sailfish on Fairphone2 including the proprietary parts (unfortunately I do need the Exchange ActiveSync and in the forseeable future will also still "need" Android runtime), I will most likely buy one.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Apr.2016 14:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There seems to be going on something. At least I read a twitter, that people interested in Fairphones and Jollas possible partnership should sign up for a newsletter. Which I did. I'll report, if there is something to tell...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 30.Jun.2016 16:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Fairphone has a poll on Twitter:

Would you buy a Fairphone 2 with #Sailfish 2.0?
https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/748156649404248064

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic