MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Turing Phone with Sailfish OS

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 26.Feb.2016 11:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Turing Robotics Industries is moving to Finland, see TechCrunch:

Quote:
Turing Robotics Drops Android And Sets Up Shop In Finland Amid Global Security Concerns

California-based secure smartphone manufacturer Turing Robotics Industries announced that it will move manufacturing and its new global headquarter to the Finnish city of Salo. Turing’s decision is rooted in security concerns.

“Finland’s Act on the Protection of Privacy in Electronic Communications which safeguards confidentiality and privacy in telecommunications was the main reason behind TRI’s move to Finland.

To ensure complete data security and privacy for TRI’s Turing Phone owners, TRI moved its manufacturing operations to Salo, a city with an impeccable history in mobile phone production,” said Steve Chao, the CEO of Turing Robotics.

TRI, the maker of the liquid-metal cypherphone, the Turing Phone, “the company foresaw the potential issues of data encryption and global government covert surveillance programs ever since mid-2013 and it made a decisive move to be established in Finland,” the company said in a statement.

Accompanying the announcement, TRI is switching its OS from Android to Jolla’s Sailfish.

“We can now confirm that TRI has chosen to drop Android and use Jolla’s Sailfish OS. Sailfish is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone and we have started the final OS software testing phase,” the company announced on its Facebook page.

Surveillance and privacy concerns have become central themes among mobile users around the world, highlighted by the ongoing spat between Apple and FBI.

Indeed, TRI’s decision to both use Jolla OS and manufacture in Finland is about the primacy of privacy. Considering Android’s intimate relationship with Google growing security concerns around mobile security, the move speaks volumes.

In 2015, Jolla announced a partnership with Finland’s SSH Communications – a security solutions company – to offer another version of its platform with stronger security credentials, a version now used in the new Turing Phone.

“It is evident that the world needs a secure, transparent and open mobile solution alternative, which is not controlled by any country or major industry player,” Jolla said in a press release during the announcement.

Jolla is focusing on security in order to distinguish from fierce and better-known competition.

“The next era in mobile will be very much focused on privacy and that’s what we are already feeling with our partners when we are discussing with governments and different device vendors,” said Jolla chairman Antti Saarnio on Wednesday during the announcement of its partnership with African OEM Mi-Fone.

New OS and a move to Finland

The new phone – expected to be released in April 2016 – will be made in Salo, a small city located between the capital Helsinki and the provincial capital Turku.

“TRI will start production of the Turing Phone in Salo starting April 2016 and have plans implemented to build the world’s most robust mobile phone devices and Future Network products for the next decade and beyond in Salo. For every 1,000 phones to be produced TRI will be recruiting 10~20 local staffs to perform both software and hardware testing, flashing and assembly. TRI has plans to ramp up production of the Turing Phone series to over 300,000 units in the year 2016, “ Chao said.

The city’s claim to fame is its past role as hosting a plant for Nokia. Salo is largely considered the original home town of Nokia phones.

Turing Phone is TRI’s first smart phone and entirely crowdfunded. The phone is made of liquidmorphium, an “amorphous “liquid metal” alloy tougher than either titanium or steel”.

Turing is not without competition in Finland. Oulu-based Bittium is the maker of Tough Mobile, a secure smartphone tailored for governmental and military use. On Wednesday the company announced a deal worth 2.8 million euros to provide a software upgrade for the Finnish Defence Forces’ Tactical Wireless IP Network system.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Apr.2016 13:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Production of the Turing Phone will start in May, see digitoday (Google translation):

Quote:
Turing-phone production begins in Salo in May - workers much less than expected

Salo plant is planned to employ more people if the security telephones order quantities grow, says TRI's CEO Steve Chao.

Manufacture of mobile phones in Salo will start again in May, says Turing Robotic Industries CEO Steve Chao.

- We already have less than 20 employees in Salo, and these people produce the first phones to be provided for pre-orders, Chao says.

The company starts producing Salo Phone Turing called the phone security, which uses the company's technology developed to encrypt communications and authenticate users.

Turing Phone project sparked in February and March a lot of attention when an unknown company was thought at first to hire thousands, and then about 270 employees in stopping the mobile phone factory-stricken Saloon. Now the amount of the employees seem to be much lower than earlier estimates.

Chao, according to his previous calculations worker volumes in Finland have been interpreted incorrectly.

- We need to start gently. Since each of which employ, are likely to employ for a period of a decade. How can we take them all at one time to 300 work?

Chao, the TRI has a precise evaluation of the method by which the company selects all of its employees.

Chao, the phone is made of a few thousand pre-orders. However, the aim is to grow the business, and employ more people on the basis of production volumes required.

- Like any company, we want to sell more than six-digit amounts. In my view, it is entirely possible. We still rely on just the current Turing model, but we have new products coming later this year, Chao says.

Chao, the company is negotiating with dealers Turing-phone sales in China, India, the Middle East and Europe. The results of these negotiations will survive again around mid-May.

Turing Phone postponed again

During the spring Chao and Turing Robotic Industries of the project is the realization of a suspect lot of both Finnish and international media.

Doubts are raised, for example, the Turing Phone repeated delays and Chao's previous failures in the phone market.

Turing phone using the collected pre-orders initially last summer, and the phone deliveries had to start as early as December. Then, Turing Robotics Industries has announced deliveries to move this year to March, then April and now May.

Chao, one of the reason for the delay is to transfer production from China to Finland.

Finally, in August last year, the Turing Phone manufacturer was supposed to be a Taiwanese contract manufacturer Foxconn, which makes, among other things, Apple's iPhone handsets.

Chao mind changed their appointments Smart Salo association with members. The association has several former employees of Nokia, which last autumn Chao convinced that Salo is possible again to manufacture handsets.

The final decision on the transfer of production to Finland the company made last November.

- It was a scary decision, because then we could not be certain whether we will need in facilities or not. We got contracts definitively sealed until towards the end of last month, Chao says.

According to him, the company now owns the equipment used in the manufacture of the Salo factory phones. However, the factory building itself is owned by Microsoft yet, so TRI will lease the facilities from it.

the progress of the project also reflects the fact that Turing Robotics Industries is finally registered on Tuesday this week the Finnish Trade Register. The company filed an application already below last Christmas, but delayed the registration of some of the missing information and documents.

The international press kuoppasi Turing Phone Phone by early February, when the company suddenly announced to spend on the phone of the original Android operating system instead of the Finnish Jolla Sailfish OS.

Chao is a legitimate substitution Sailfishin Android with better information security and says that it works well Turing Phone hardware.

Chaolla is behind the phone earlier projects that have not been realized. Ouidoo phone never came on sale, and it was Chao's involved a little too ahead of its time. Also the emergency call marketed Quasar IV phone was delayed repeatedly because of technical problems, until the project was abandoned altogether.

- Some people criticize the failures of previous projects, but I think they were important factors that contributed to the final success of Turing, says Chao.

- In such a project will have to go through many failures before success. For example, HTC made many phones before the 2009 Hero model. They failed? Of course, but people just do not know it.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Apr.2016 14:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A video interview with Turing Robotic Industries CEO Steve Chao, see digitoday (Google translation):

Quote:
Video: Phone Production will begin again the old Nokia factory - this is a Turing Phone

Video: Such is the Turing Phone - Production begins in Salo (in English with Finnish subtitles)

Salon phone at the factory to start production of Turing Robotic Industries Director Steve Chao says the new security phone, as well as the company's plans.

Salo, a former factory of Nokia this spring once again to produce new mobile phones. The manufacturer must taiwanilaistaustainen Turing Robotic Industries, which is the first phone Turing Phone -turvapuhelin. Phone prices vary depending on the amount of memory and the phone covers, depending on the approximately 600 dollars to more than tonnes.

Rumors of a new mobile phone manufacturers came up with at the end of February, and the first estimates of up to thousands of workers and aroused the hope that the doubts.

The company's CEO Steve Chao in Finland is preparing for the start of production. Chao says the video from your phone, as well as the company's growth plans in Salo and in the world.

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Apr.2016 17:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What an intriguing combination: secure OS that runs only insecure Android apps due to lack of native ones, and costs between $600-1000.

For this (and more) an even more secure BlackBerry Z10 can be bought for $200...
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Friday, 08.Apr.2016 13:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
What an intriguing combination: secure OS that runs only insecure Android apps due to lack of native ones, and costs between $600-1000.

For this (and more) an even more secure BlackBerry Z10 can be bought for $200...

It smells like a flop here...

The Turing Phone/Sailfish combo would have been excellent if native development where promoted properly. I have a hard time to see a reason to get a device with a platform whose alleged benefit is "Android apps".

It is absolutely vital to have a proper Jolla Store and promotion of native development in order to succeed. Android apps could be used as a "stop gap" measure in the store UNTIL a proper native version is created.

This would be easier if there is proper marketing of Qt for Android as well - i.e. "create a Qt app that works on both Sailfish and Android/Qt in one go".

I would be happy to give Sailfish a proper try but first when native development is treated properly so there is apps that use the features of the platform in a proper way.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 08.Apr.2016 23:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

UNTIL a proper native version is created

The problem is that for almost three years now, they haven't even started creating it...

While I do recognize and appreciate all the advantages of Sailfish OS, lack of support for normal, proper development and distribution of native software is a deal-breaker for me. It's like if "desktop" Linux was created to only run Windows applications in Wine. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I am still ready to instantly re-port all my apps to the latest SFOS version and release them to the public, but to be honest I already lost any hope that they will ever make it possible. Not only there's no support for paid apps, but the SDK itself is still an utter mess.

The Support for paid applications request on TJC remains one of the most voted-for topics - it's the eight, with just 26 votes missing to make it the fourth (out of thousands). But people stopped voting because all of them simply lost any hope if the last (and only!) reponse from Jolla to that topic (a meaningless one-liner by @cybette followed by a couple more similar comments) was in APRIL 2015, i.e. whopping 12 months ago, and since then not a single word, not even a new excuse.

As I already said before, the way they avoid to even just talk about it isn't just pathetic, it's actually INSULTING to all their customers.

And as long as they stubbornly keep completely ignoring such easy ways to make money as permitting developers to release paid apps and start grabbing 30% commission on it, I will not buy any of their regular whinings about their "poor financial situation".
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Saturday, 09.Apr.2016 14:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So with other words: Turing Phone was supposed to be an Android device running Android apps but will become a Sailfish device running... Android apps. I.e. the key benefit of buying it is to get Sailfish to run.... Android apps.

I have such a hard time to see why anyone would accept this proposition. I could understand and agree with an interim solution where developers can submit an Android app to the store WHILE they create the native SF version in order to smoothen the transition but that is obviously different than enter the market with "running Android apps". I am talking about distributing the Android app through the Jolla store for a short period of time but not with any kind of promotion of the system "being able to run Android apps".

The Turing Phone seemed pretty interesting as an Android device and would have been exciting with SF PROVIDED it would mean native development, support for paid apps and a clear intention of making it a viable competitor. Perhaps even making it "the Nexus of SF" which could have brought excellent promotion.

Why Jolla stubbornly refuses to make SF an fully independent platform is beyond me. It is like there is some agreement behind closed doors who hold them back. I.e. that the purpose of them is to develop the system, which then will be used by a bigger manufacturer. Blocking paid apps and native development can't just be a "principle" (such as a principle of FOSS only) but rather part of a plan such as "developing the system, license it and let native development be done by another company".

I still have some hope that the stubborn attitude of Jolla is caused by internal agreements with some company like Nokia where the intention is to license Sailfish when they return to smartphones. This is just a theory of mine but when it became evident that Jolla refuses to stimulate native development, it started to come to my mind since it reminds me a bit of Nokia modus operandi such as the Maemo case (treating it as a niche platform).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 10.Apr.2016 17:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Blocking paid apps and native development can't just be a "principle" (such as a principle of FOSS only) but rather part of a plan such as "developing the system, license it and let native development be done by another company".

For me, it makes no sense because I can't see any valid reasons why any company would want to start from absolute zero rather than with a system that already has some apps and experienced developers.... Even if such company wanted to control what's available for it, one small intentional change (like e.g. a different name of some commonly required QML import or C++ include, etc.) could easily force everyone to modify, repackage and re-submit all the existing apps for their approval... It's very easy to do such tiny modification that doesn't really change anything but still requires everyone to modify (within a few seconds) and re-submit all apps, which would give such company full control about what they approve.

Nokia indeed treated Maemo as a niche platform, but still supported paid apps for it in the Ovi Store... Jolla's approach is entirely different, because since early 2013 they haven't even bothered to bring the SDK out of alpha.

As I said, I just can't understand why a company permanently struggling with financial problems so stubbornly refuses to allow developers release paid apps and start earning 30% on it. Even with just 50,000 users it would quickly give them hundreds of thousands of Euros, and in a longer term a few million. If not for anything else then at least quite enough not to have to temporarily lay off most of their staff when they run out of money like last year.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Apr.2016 12:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Another video interview with Turing Robotic Industries CEO Steve Chao, see Yle (Google translation):

Quote:
Hard economic interview Salon fuss entrepreneur Steve Chao: Cell Phone Production will start again, but the adequacy of the Chinese company money?

The Chinese-American entrepreneur launch in May smartphone production in Salo, Nokia's former production facilities. TRI's CEO Steve Chao estimates Promoted Hard Economic interview that this year in Salo made 60 000 price-smartphone.

The interview is subtitled in Finnish.

Video: Go to original article in Finnish.

Nokia's mobile phone manufacturing painfully lost Salo leaves again the smart phone market. This time there directed a Chinese-American entrepreneur in the chair. Turing Robotic Industries (TRI) CEO Steve Chao says that Salo is currently being built production lines.

Originally, production was promised to begin no later than March. Now the home has been postponed until May.

- This is the final schedule, Chao says.

Chao led TRI began pre-marketing a phone model for the first year ago. Now its production is scheduled to begin in Salo. Turing Phone valteiksi praised thorough security, but Chao describes desirable customers style and quality conscious person who wants to stand out from the crowd.

Quote:
I am pleased that I am not an engineer. It provides an opportunity to think more creatively huge deal.

- Steve Chao, CEO of Turing Robotic Industries

Market without the benefits of mass production

In general, mobile phone industry and other consumer products in large production quantities is intended to press the unit costs to a minimum, but Turing Phone approaching things differently.

- Keeping the industry requires understanding the customer and innovation. Security concerns of consumers more and more and that is what is at the center of our attention. So we have an eye for the future.

Chao had been issued a security phone a few years ago, but with little success. Quasar phone behind was compiled only a fraction of the necessary funding. He admits without hesitation that the case filed blow to fame.

- But it does not matter. A startup failure is fundamental to success.

Chao does not seem to be afraid of challenges. Engineering education is not, on the other hand, he says that he is "one of the many pudokasopiskelijoista architecture".

- I am pleased that I am not an engineer. It gives the ability to think quickly and creatively huge deal.

The United States after his studies, he says that he was, among other things, adviser to the Taiwan Yahoo, she has studied the so-called. augmented reality technology, localization, encryption technology ...

Enough money for next year

Advance reservations for the planned Turing Phonelle 12 000 copies were received in August last year. Shortly thereafter, however, Iphone announced the launch of a new model and a Turing booked did not have the patience to wait.

- We lost about 30 percent of bookings, but on the other 70 percent is still there, Chao weighs optimistic way.

At present, the phone is almost two thousand pre-orders. It is a good test of the product, but does not solve the funding.

Chao, the company will be enough money middle of next year, if the handsets manufactured in one piece on the production line of 30 000 a year. Become the owners of the working capital is sufficient to start production, but production is needed to run the additional funding. Chao believes it to be found, inter alia, venture capitalists from China, as long as the production is up and running.

Negotiations are also underway with Finnish funding sources. TRI also hopes to Finnish public funding, particularly to support research work.

- It would be a good addition, but not vital for us.

TRI employs are currently fourteen employees. Finnish CEO to be appointed by the first of May. Chao believes that the end of the year, employees may be about a hundred.

However, he warns against that, although production could be over 300 000 phones each year, it is the theoretical maximum. However, in his view too we can get if said to be an excellent supply chain in Asia to inject their best. A more realistic estimate of the production of 60 000 - 70 000 units per year.

Price will be around $600 before taxes.

--
Bent Laursen
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Apr.2016 15:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

As I said, I just can't understand why a company permanently struggling with financial problems so stubbornly refuses to allow developers release paid apps and start earning 30% on it. Even with just 50,000 users it would quickly give them hundreds of thousands of Euros, and in a longer term a few million. If not for anything else then at least quite enough not to have to temporarily lay off most of their staff when they run out of money like last year.

but right now there is only little cost in maintaining current store. If they were to make it a paid app store, they would need to hire more manpower for support and to do accounting and VAT and possible purchase some solution to make the app store and the transaction secure which possible could be more costly in long term. App is bought once then kept "forever" so if there is no new users then in future the cost of maintaining the paid app store is more than the free app store.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Apr.2016 15:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If Jolla intends to make Sailfish into a proper competitor - paid apps is a must to put it mildly. Paid apps should have been supported from the early days of the Jolla phone.

The cost of running an store supporting paid apps is not on a level that would prevent its creation - and the idea of "paying once - kept forever" is not a valid point either since it is easy to introduce the concept of paid updates. I.e. that an app can be distributed for free, paid once or paid for bigger updates.

One thing is for sure: Sailfish is a lost case as long as the store doesn't support paid apps, the SDK isn't properly updated and maintained while "Android apps" are being used a sales point.

There are a couple of actions to be taken by Jolla if they intend on making SF a viable competitor, which the system itself can be:

1. Upgrade the SDK and maintain it properly.
2. Introduce paid apps in the store.
3. Introduce revenue sharing, i.e. that the manufacturer of the device get a specific percentage from the content sold (10% and Jolla take the other 20%).
4. Enable the use of Android drivers in order to eliminate the need for special hardware development.
5. Cooperate with third party developers and create a CyanogenMod like version of the system that can be installed on different Android devices.
6. Work toward getting providers of Android devices to offer "Sailfish Editions" of some of them as a step 1 - step 2 is the creation of "Sailfish Signature" devices (i.e. not an existing Android device running SF).

Revenue sharing with the manufacturers could be a game changer since it would provide a very important economical incitement to use SF rather than Android due to the extra revenue flow.

Sailfish can compete with Android but as long as it is being held back by Jolla and different excuses such as "they can't afford to provide paid apps because there is cost attached to running a commercial store" they won't be able to.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 12.Apr.2016 23:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

but right now there is only little cost in maintaining current store. If they were to make it a paid app store, they would need to hire more manpower for support and to do accounting and VAT

Right now there is little cost in maintaining a store that DOESN'T BRING ABSOLUTELY ANY PROFIT and actually has no real use. Not only it brings no financial income, but not even any promotional advantages as it is filled with such an utter cr*p that it surely does not convince anyone to buy a Sailfish OS phone. For a potential buyer, the current selection of apps in the Jolla store is actually strongly DISCOURAGING rather than encouraging.

So the question is what makes more sense for a commercial company: keep maintaining a store that JUST COSTS them money (maybe little, but gives NOTHING at all in exchange) and its pathetic content actually SCARES AWAY potential buyers, or maybe rather invest some money in it and start earning 30% on every single sale, and additionally start having in the store quality apps that will attract new customers to buy their (and their partners') phones, and start showing to the world that it is an independent, self-contained smartphone platform and not just an Android runtime.

As for additional costs, I don't think it takes that much. Look, Canonical could afford to have a store with paid apps for Ubuntu Phone (which probably has an even smaller user base than SFOS) so I'm sure Jolla could affort it, too. I can't see how the QA (app approval) process would be any different for paid apps than for free apps, as it is about testing if an app works well and doesn't contain any malicious code, so whether it costs money or not is completely irrelevant. The same for customer support, which is mostly provided by developers themselves, and the store usually only handles returns/refunds, which on such a tiny platform could be handled at this point probably by one person. VAT/accounting obviously need to be handled automatically by the store engine, providing ready-to-submit totals and forms, so yes, making or buying a functional store engine does need some investment - but that's virtually the only real cost. Imagine that now the whole BlackBerry World store is fully managed by a (literally) handful of people (do a simple test: email their developer support about ANY issue, and you'll always get an answer from.... Bryan), so the Jolla store (if only properly done) could probably be handled by a couple.

Lastly, the most basic question is: haven't the last 3 years clearly shown that Jolla's existing approach to apps (i.e. fully relying on Android software) does not take them anywhere? Do more and more people rush to buy SFOS devices to run Android apps on them? NO. And if so then isn't changing this approach (i.e. finally starting to build a good selection of quality native apps) the only way out?

Quote:

App is bought once then kept "forever" so if there is no new users then in future the cost of maintaining the paid app store is more than the free app store.

An app is bought once per customer. But developers need to earn money continuously and not just once, so they keep making new apps. THE SAME customer will then buy such a new app. And another one, and another one, as they come. So as long as developers make new apps, there is always something new to sell even if the user base doesn't grow.

Besides, assuming that the user base will never grow makes no sense for a commercial company, as in such case they should just pack their clothes and stop wasting their time. On the contrary, they should actively seek new ways to increase their user base, of which finally starting to build a decent native app selection is probably the most important one, as only that can show people that it is a mature platform rather than just an Android clone, which during the last 3 years clearly didn't take Jolla anywhere.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Apr.2016 10:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Turing announced plans to start production in Finland in May. Has 14 employees at the Salo facility and maybe growing to 100 this year. That remains to be seen.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Apr.2016 14:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
but not even any promotional advantages as it is filled with such an utter cr*p that it surely does not convince anyone to buy a Sailfish OS phone.

There came up a question on TJC recently from a new SailfishOS user that tried the community version of SFOS on his fairphone. An he makes some points (see https://together.jolla.com/question/132488/discovering-sailfish-throug h-the-fairphone-2/).

Own answer to his question: https://together.jolla.com/question/132488/discovering-sailfish-throug h-the-fairphone-2/?answer=132672#post-id-132672 wrote:

Looks nice and everything, but it is a bit inconvenient that I can find a clock giving me the time as hexa colors or a base64 encoder but not services used by 1/7th of the planet, or a decent gps... As I cannot really contribute (yet !), I will probably come back when it is more grown up !

On the other hand the author of the question sees the solution in android support:

Original question: https://together.jolla.com/question/132488/discovering-sailfish-throug h-the-fairphone-2/ wrote:

Please, android support; the jolla store is just far too small, only one email app or 2 browsers feels very limited (+no small local apps). I would even think that if you offer sailfish to fairphone users without it, most of them won't use it more than a few days... I still haven't found a decent gps app.

The next thing he'd really love to see is better control of app permissions. Something that Jolla could provide through SailfishOS and it would be a really good feature and selling point with android support. A lot of people don't like Android/iOS/Windows phone because they are afraid about data mining/privacy/malicious code.

The Turing phone manufacturer just switched to SailfishOS for exactly that reason (or at least they say so). They also moved headquarters to Finland because of different laws and government influence in Europe/Finland compared to US (speculation).

Fairphone tries to be "free" and social and that's the reason why they said they'd like to cooperate with Jolla. So all of this are real chances and unique selling points.

IMHO Jolla just has to follow that path.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.Apr.2016 18:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The next thing he'd really love to see is better control of app permissions. Something that Jolla could provide through SailfishOS and it would be a really good feature and selling point with android support. A lot of people don't like Android/iOS/Windows phone because they are afraid about data mining/privacy/malicious code.

Another very important topic also in my mind.
So far, only "app security" in Sailfish, especially if you use Openrepos because Jolla store content is so limited, is the fact that there are so few developers that you know most of their names after some time and can evaluate their trustworthyness from posts on openrepos, t.j.c or tmo...

For the Android runtime, I like the fact you can choose if you want Android apps to have access to your contacts. But that would be MUCH better on a per-app-basis. I'm fine with Threema having access to my contacts, but NO OTHER APP should be allowed to read them (and send them home....).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic