MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Turing Phone with Sailfish OS

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 15.Jul.2016 11:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The first Turing Phones have been delivered, see newsletter:

Quote:
Turing Phone Delivered!

Dear Turing Phone Fans,

After years of hard work and perseverance we are pleased to announce that we have finally shipped the first batch of Turing Phones on July 12th. We expect the second and third batch production of the Turing Phones to be dispatched on July 22nd and July 29th respectively. Thus all Evaluation Units of the Turing Phone would have been shipped to all our faithful customers who have stood by and believed in us. So please be patient as you will be receiving your shipment tracking number via email from us shortly.

The Evaluation Unit of Turing Phone comes with an Alpha Release of Sailfish OS 2.0. The next Over-The-Air (OTA) software update will take place in early August which will enable all the special features of the Turing Phone. The OTA software update will be accompanied with the latest feature list for your perusal.

The water proof nano-coating procedure is a very complicated and lengthy process, without incurring further delays to shipment we’ve decided to remove the water proof feature until the next release (Snapdragon 820 edition). This delay may disappoint many of you so we do sincerely apologize for the absence of this particular feature until the next release.

You may have also noticed that the packaging doesn’t include a Bluetooth earphone accessory, the reason being is that we are customizing the sound design of the TRI earphone which will be delivered to you separately this coming August.

Each of the Turing Phone packaging comes included with a 2.5D Glass Protector (double screen protection), two Wallaby port cables, and a localized charger for your specific region.

As this is the initial release of TRI’s product offering we do expect both potential software and hardware issues to occur while you are using the Turing Phone. We encourage you to report any issues that you may have encountered so that we can that can improve the user experience for all our valued customers. Please email us at bugs@turingphone.com

If you decide to sell your Turing Phone, we will consider that as a “Change of Ownership” scenario in which the new owner of the Evaluation Edition will not enjoy the free upgrade to the Snapdragon 820 edition.

We have already enrolled you in the TRI Elite Club (early purchasers of the Turing Phone), a program designed to provide you the latest updates to future TRI development and potential free trials on future TRI products. Please ensure that you hold on to your Turing Phone and it’s the only ticket in town to this great offer.

We are trying our best to keep up with all your inquiries. Every TRI staff is working day and night to address your questions therefore please be civilized on our social networking pages and show your support and respect for the TRI team. This is highly appreciated!

Thanks for your continuous support and interest in the Turing Phone. We are open to your suggestions for improvement on all fronts. Let’s march together towards the next phase of TRI’s development.

Sincerely,

Syl Chao (CEO | TRI) and the entire Turing Phone team

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 11.Aug.2016 14:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Turing Phone - Start up tutorial 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaA1KNorMY

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Aug.2016 11:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Know Your Mobile has a preview of the Turing Phone:

Turing Phone Preview: Hands On With The Ultra-Secure Liquid Metal Superphone

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Aug.2016 21:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Digital Trends has a review of the Turing Phone:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/turing-dark-wyvern-rev iew/

--
Bent Laursen
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Aug.2016 12:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That one sounds pretty bad.
On the other hand, it looks like the guy doing the test did not really try to understand the way Sailfish OS works - otherwise some comments on the OS would be different.

Typical statement is that the best thing about Sailfish is that it can rund Android apps, as native appstore is quite empty.
Another time not showing that better Android support is needed, but native apps need to improve - hey, Jolla, you're the ones who can do something about that (e.g. make paid apps available, run developer programs)...
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Aug.2016 16:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Does it have 3.5mm headphone jack?
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Aug.2016 17:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:
Digital Trends has a review of the Turing Phone:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/turing-dark-wyvern-rev iew/

--
Bent Laursen

Every review that ends up with an iPhone recommendation is just a complete failure and a waste of time.

Lets hope for better reviews. One thing is for sure: Having Apple as some kind of 'benchmark' is going to result in a distorted view and a lot of moaning and groaning about a perfectly good device.

The best thing would be a My-Symbian review or that XDA-Developers write about it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Aug.2016 22:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The best thing would be a My-Symbian review

I'd love to, but no one will provide it.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 23.Sep.2016 15:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Trusted Reviews has a review of the Turing Phone:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/turing-phone-review

--
Bent Laursen
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 23.Sep.2016 23:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

WTF?

Quote:

Along the bottom edge sits a mono speaker and Wallaby MagStream port – the latter being a magnetic connection for charging and data transfer. Turing claims this choice of connection is based on security, as is the complete absence of a 3.5mm audio socket. Just like the iPhone 7.

Such ports make the device vulnerable to hackers, according to the manufacturer, and this means that out of the box there's no current means of listening to audio via headphones. Turing is working on its own Bluetooth headset, which will be mailed out to buyers as soon as possible and sold with the final production model later this year – but if you have your own pair of wireless cans then they should work just fine.

So hackers can remotely hack your 3.5mm head phone jack?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 24.Sep.2016 02:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So hackers can remotely hack your 3.5mm head phone jack?

Why even bother to try to hack 3.5 mm head phone jack (no matter how stupid idea it is) if a few centimeters away from it there is a microUSB port? Wink

It's like if one tried to hack immobilizer of a car through its exhaust pipe while OBD II connector is available in every car since mid '90s or so.

In other words, it is the most stupid excuse one could give. I suspect that SoC manufacturers are getting rid of the analog audio output in recent SoC designs to save some more dollars, and phone manufactures using them need to find such idiotic excuses rather than tell people that it is so in order to lower the production cost (i.e. earn a few more $$).
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 24.Sep.2016 17:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
In other words, it is the most stupid excuse one could give. I suspect that SoC manufacturers are getting rid of the analog audio output in recent SoC designs to save some more dollars, and phone manufactures using them need to find such idiotic excuses rather than tell people that it is so in order to lower the production cost (i.e. earn a few more $$).

Yes, the real reason is cost (you remove the jack and needed amplifier) as well as freeing volume occupied by the 3.5mm jack.

The cost argument is a no argument since you the consumer pays for it anyway. So what is left is the volume argument.

I quite enjoyed the 3.5mm jack because it is simple and sturdy. If it is too large for today's phones, there is a 2.5mm jack standard. The 2.5mm jack was actually used on some Nokia phones and it worked quite well I think. 2.5mm seemed to be a good compromise between sturdiness and size.
gymbo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
7 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 495

Phone: Nokia 9500 (two, one still in use as GPS-navigator), E90 (two, one as spare music player! and the other wasn't repaired and "changed" to->) and E7

PostPosted: Sunday, 25.Sep.2016 18:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

MeowTseDong wrote:
[...]

Yes, the real reason is cost (you remove the jack and needed amplifier) as well as freeing volume occupied by the 3.5mm jack.

The cost argument is a no argument since you the consumer pays for it anyway. So what is left is the volume argument.

I quite enjoyed the 3.5mm jack because it is simple and sturdy. If it is too large for today's phones, there is a 2.5mm jack standard. The 2.5mm jack was actually used on some Nokia phones and it worked quite well I think. 2.5mm seemed to be a good compromise between sturdiness and size.

I have never really understood the "volume" argument for taking away (or "shrinking") the headphone-jack. In today's world, with water resistant phones, taking away ports might have some merit, but otherwise I don't really get it.

When you add the amplifier for the headphone, it might have a somewhat noticeable impact, but would it be (or at least NEED to be) a lot bigger than just a amplifier for the phones speakers?

And the biggest argument FOR a headphone jack (in my opinion, as I also stated in anorthe thread here) is that you can connect it to virtually ANY hi-fi or PA equipment with just a simple cable.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 25.Sep.2016 23:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The cost argument is a no argument since you the consumer pays for it anyway.

Is the iPhone 7's price any lower thanks to no headphone jack? If not, who gets the money?
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.Oct.2016 12:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A user in Taiwan has received a Turing Phone, see Android Headlines:

Quote:
24K Gold Turing Phones Start Shipping In Taiwan

The world’s very first phone made of Liquidmorphium, the hyper-secure Turing Phone, went on preorder some time ago, and it seems that preorders are beginning to ship out now. The particular model that seems to have begun shipping out to pre-order holders is the 24 karat gold model, which features the standard model’s Liquidmorphium body, said to be stronger than steel, along with an external plate of 24 karat gold. Luckily for other eager preorder buyers and the tech community at large, the person in Taiwan who received their very own Turing Phone was kind enough to take a large set of photos and post them up for all to see.

The extravagant and very unique-looking device sports all kinds of futuristic-looking accents, a large power button on the side reminiscent of Sony Xperia devices, and sharp corners. The back of the phone shows off the gold plate as the centerpiece, and is decorated in gold, red, and blue accents to give a very regal vibe. A magnetic charging port is present, and from the side, the angular design gives the phone a bit of a curve in the hand. If there was ever the slightest doubt that this is a hyper-premium device, it’s safe to say that these photos put that doubt nicely to rest.

On the specs side of things, the user confirmed that the device does sport a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor paired up with 32GB of RAM. The marked improvement from the originally planned Snapdragon 801 chipset came as a nice surprise for those who laid down their large sums of cash early in the game and expected a device that was super-secure, but only on par with 2014 flagships in power. The MicroSD slot seen with the SIM slot in the photos supplements storage options of either 16GB, 64GB, or 128GB. A 5.5 -inch 1920 x 1080 panel on the front of the device does a fine job of balancing image quality and battery life, and makes the device just good enough for VR use. It’s plain to see that the device runs Sailfish OS 2.0, but a heavily modified version for security. The Turing Phone uses end-to-end encryption and authentication algorithms to protect against almost any sort of malicious outside attack; short of gaining physical access to a Turing Phone, it’s pretty safe to say that would-be hackers are mostly left out in the cold.

If the mention of 32GB of RAM is true, it is the smartphone with the largest amount of RAM.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic