MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Turing Phone with Sailfish OS

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 14.Apr.2016 03:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Please, android support; the jolla store is just far too small, only one email app or 2 browsers feels very limited (+no small local apps). I would even think that if you offer sailfish to fairphone users without it, most of them won't use it more than a few days... I still haven't found a decent gps app.

Firstly, I could never understand people who complain about "just 2 browsers" or "only one email app". I thought that it actually takes having one browser or email client, just a GOOD one. On my Z10 I could install a dozen of web browsers (both some BB10 native and also some Android ones like Opera or Firefox) but I never needed to do it because the built-in browser is simply better and faster. So for me it is quite amusing to want to have multiple browsers or email clients instead of a single GOOD one that'll do everything it's supposed to do...

Also, I don't really understand what issues that person has with Android support. Apparently, he doesn't know that he can download and install Android apps not just from the Jolla store but also from anywhere else (Google Play, other stores, web...). So his complaint is actually about the hopeless choice of apps in the Jolla store, and not about the actual Android support...

And why he complains about lack of Android apps rather than lack of native apps is another story. Maybe he simply doesn't know that Sailfish OS can run its own apps and not just Android ones...

Anyway, all this simply confirms that people are dissatisfied with lack of apps and with Jolla store's pathetic content. The real problem is that Jolla doesn't seem to care about it.

Quote:

The next thing he'd really love to see is better control of app permissions.

When it comes to permissions, there's no better way to do it than how it is on BB10. Individually switchable (at any time) permissions per app. Turning off a permission does not prevent an app from further working, it's just that it disables that app's function(s) controlled by that permission while everything else continues to work just fine.

Just one thing could be improved vs. BB10: for reasons I fail to understand certain few permissions on BB10 are always granted automatically upon installation, without ever asking the user or letting him switch them on/off in Settings at any later time. This applies to e.g. the Internet access permission, which is especially strange as many users (myself included) would certainly like to be able to prevent some apps from being able to access the Internet - for instance those which do not have any (officially known) Internet related functions. Sadly, BlackBerry decided that if the developer gives his app the Internet permission then the user cannot change it.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Thursday, 14.Apr.2016 13:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I will point out PrivacyGuard (CyanogenMod) for Android when it comes to granular permissions. The BB10.x way is very good but it is worth to mention PG as well since it is an excellent manager of all permissions where the default is to ask rather than granting Internet access by default.

http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanogen-os-privacy-guard-keeping-apps-s eeing-your-data

A way to improve the permissions management would be to list them at the store page and then allow the user to permit/deny before the app is installed (i.e. directly from the information page). The reason I point out PrivacyGuard is because it is a common complaint that "Android" grant permissions for everything, which is a concern obviously but managed by third party developers.

Jolla should offer a similar feature in SF but also consider implementing management already before installation, i.e. that the user configure everything and then hit "install".

I also agree fully when it comes to the app hysteria. ONE really excellent application for a specific purpose is certainly better than FIFTY mediocre ones. It seems like some users and journalists (not to forget analysts) have the strange idea that applications are like movies - i.e. that it is some kind of benefit with having "a lot" in a category rather than quality.

One concept for an app store that I like is F-Droid with 100% FOSS and such a solution could be an excellent alternative to the commercial option.

One thing which could boost Sailfish would be an agreement about making SoftMaker Office the default Office suite. It is still unsurpassed when it comes to mobile suites and could bring potential clients, especially if it is paired with an excellent TOH keyboard.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 14.Apr.2016 14:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Also, I don't really understand what issues that person has with Android support.

Well, that person installed Sailfish OS on his Fairphone2, which doesn't have Android support at all because it is a community port.

Other than that, fully agree to you post, Michal.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 15.Apr.2016 00:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well, that person installed Sailfish OS on his Fairphone2, which doesn't have Android support at all because it is a community port.

Oh, right.... But this shows even more how useful in such cases it would be to have a decent choice of native apps. Without them, devices running community ports lacking Android runtime are left without almost any software...

Quote:

The BB10.x way is very good but it is worth to mention PG as well since it is an excellent manager of all permissions where the default is to ask rather than granting Internet access by default.

BB10 does ask by default. It's just that BlackBerry decided (for reasons only known to them) to exclude a few permissions from this scheme. But it's not a technological issue, it's how they currently configure their security system. Can be changed by them anytime, I guess.

Quote:

A way to improve the permissions management would be to list them at the store page and then allow the user to permit/deny before the app is installed

I'm not sure if it makes any difference whether you select the permissions at the store page before downloading, or upon installation. On BB10, the app won't launch before you select (or reject) the permissions, anyway. Before you make your choice, any attempt to launch the app will always stop at the permission selection dialog and it won't go any further. So security-wise it is 100% secure.

I prefer to have permission selection at installation rather than in the store, because in such case it is handled entirely by and on my device. You can never know what bugs may appear on the store side which could e.g. grant permissions you don't allow. Why exchange such important data between the store server and the device, if it can be handled entirely locally on your phone.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 15.Apr.2016 09:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Firstly, I could never understand people who complain about "just 2 browsers" or "only one email app". I thought that it actually takes having one browser or email client, just a GOOD one. On my Z10 I could install a dozen of web browsers (both some BB10 native and also some Android ones like Opera or Firefox) but I never needed to do it because the built-in browser is simply better and faster. So for me it is quite amusing to want to have multiple browsers or email clients instead of a single GOOD one that'll do everything it's supposed to do...

Well, I don't really understand that either, but on the other hand this question is very valid, otherwise we could all be just happy with using Windows on our PCs with Outlook as Mail-Client and nothing more. Our smartphone devices could all be Android with only one mail client from google. Wink

Just kidding.

I think, it's good to have choices. I prefer having few good choices rather than thousand mediocre ones.

For me the current situation on Jolla is almost perfect. I have almost all apps I need as native ones. There are just a few that I need to run from Android.

But most of those apps I use are from Openrepos and not from Jolla store. So this is the main problem here. Due to the lacking support for essential QT libs, most of the good applications are only available on openrepos. And you, Michal, complaint about that also 3 years ago already. That's also the reason why your nice apps are not available yet, isn't it? And that last part (support all QT libs) seems to be a really easy one to fix for Jolla IMHO and would probably help much.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 16.Apr.2016 23:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

One thing I keep wondering about is how long they can rely on their Android 4 runtime while Android N (i.e. 7) is to be released soon. I'm afraid that it'll get harder and harder to convince anyone to buy a device with Android 4 support while Android 7 or 8 will be out. Already now, to many people "Android 4" sounds almost like "Commodore 64".

So sooner or later Jolla will have to deal with it. And their only choices are either to quickly start building their own native ecosystem, or to hope that Alien Dalvik will ever be upgraded to some newer Android version. Which, even if it ever takes place, still won't help too much as more and more new Android apps are integrated with Google Play services and certain other APIs that Google does not allow to be included on non-Android phones.

Shortly speaking, it's very short-sighted of Jolla to keep ignoring it and waiting for a miracle to happen, i.e. people still wanting in 2017 or 2018 to buy devices with only Android 4 support, lack of integration with Google services and APIs, and no native software.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Saturday, 16.Apr.2016 23:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, for today, Android 4 has more than 50% marketshare http://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-android-sdk-versions so it's not that outdated yet and android developers will probably support it for some more time.

But anyway, Android support should always be 2nd and than it would be irrelevant on which version it runs, if the native apps are better and available.

As for google play services: Turing phone wants to include it so it must be possible somehow. And the community android project doesn't have the restriction either AFAIK.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 18.Apr.2016 06:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well, for today, Android 4 has more than 50% marketshare

Sure. But this mainly applies to devices ALREADY OWNED, not to devices to be bought. This mainly results from many manufacturers' policies of not providing upgrades to newer Android releases, due to which millions of people get stuck with the Android version they bought their phones with.

But if one is planning to buy a new phone now then he'll surely choose a device with Android 5 or 6 rather than Android 4. Who would want to upgrade from an (already owned) Android 4 phone to a new Android 4 phone? People are not willing to spend money on a new device with system that they've already been using for 2 years, already updated twice in the meantime (and to be updated yet another time within a year or so), if they can get a device with a newer OS version for not much more money.

That's what I meant. No one willing to BUY such a phone soon.

Whereas Jolla doesn't seem to be doing anything to have support for any newer Android version anytime soon, and at the same time not doing anything to start building their own native ecosystem. Hence my question: who will want to buy a SFOS device with Android 4 (and fully relying on it due to no native software) in 2017?

Quote:

But anyway, Android support should always be 2nd and than it would be irrelevant on which version it runs, if the native apps are better and available.

That's for sure, but on SFOS you get neither native software nor up-to-date Android version...

Quote:

As for google play services: Turing phone wants to include it so it must be possible somehow.

Well, it'll be interesting to see if they have it. No other phone maker was permitted to have it so far, including e.g. BB10 and Tizen.

Quote:

And the community android project doesn't have the restriction either AFAIK.

More or less officially, I'm afraid. I mean as long as Google doesn't demand removing it. It looks that for now Google doesn't mind or care, but this can change anytime...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Apr.2016 15:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Turing Phone is in production stage, see email:

Quote:
Turing Phone in Final Production Phase!

Dear Turing Phone Supporters,

It has been a long wait and finally the Turing Phone is in the production stage. We will ship starting at the end of April for select customers and complete our delivery throughout the month of May 2016.

In the coming days, our customer service department will be sending you an email notifying you of the delivery status of your phone and confirmation of your shipping address.

Thank you,

Turing Phone Team
TRI

--
Bent Laursen
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Apr.2016 16:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quite strange then that there is still no official word from Jolla about Turing using their Sailfish OS...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Apr.2016 13:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Pre-order Confirmation Notice, see newsletter:

Quote:
Pre-order Confirmation Notice

Dear Turing Phone Supporters,

It’s almost the month of May and we are excited as much as you are on the delivery of TRI’s first flagship product, the Turing Phone. Over the last 5 months our customer support has been dealing with your requests pertaining to your change of address, upgrades and downgrades. It came from multiple sources such as our Facebook pages and TRI support email. While we scan through thousands of pre-orders and requests we have decided to send out the confirmation email on May 3rd. We know you have been getting impatient about the delay however please bear with us while TRI prepares its official launch.

We will produce an OS introductory newsletter as well as the Aemaeth UI prior to shipment.

Once you’ve received the confirmation email on May 3rd, please make sure you follow instructions in the email to get in touch with us. FB isn’t our official channel for customer service therefore please refrain from using FB for customer service requests.

For those of you waiting to order the Turing Phone please note that the next pre-order period will start by mid-June.

Thank you,

Turing Phone Team
TRI

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 27.Jun.2016 15:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Here is a video of the Turing Phone with Sailfish OS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsVRaknUwY

As is said in the video, the demoed device is based on a Snapdragon 801, but the shipping device will contain the faster Snapdragon 820.

--
Bent Laursen
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 28.Jun.2016 19:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

hmm - following your link I get "this video was removed by the user"...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Jun.2016 16:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:
hmm - following your link I get "this video was removed by the user"...

That video was an unofficial upload. Here is the official video:

http://youtu.be/z1DnMn7P1oU

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Jun.2016 16:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Shipment will start on July 12th, see newsletter:

Quote:
Shipment Starts on July 12th

Dear TRI fans,

I'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank all of you for staying alongside TRI during the introduction of the Turing Phone.

The making of this groundbreaking device has consumed considerable time, sweat and patience. In addition, perseverance from the entire TRI team.

Over the course of this long journey we’ve endured both your support and criticism. We’ve gained more supporters yet we’ve lost some too.

Turing Phone isn’t just another phone. It is a groundbreaking device which is made and forged from a very special type of alloy consisting of Zirconium, Aluminum, Copper, Nickel and Titanium. To accommodate such material the Turing Phone has been through 26 iterations of structural changes since its first announcement back in April 2015. It is also the main reason why the phone's shipment date has been delayed over and over again because TRI Alloy217 is the first of its kind and it was nearly impossible to be crafted according to our strict structural phone design guidelines.

As you may already know, TRI has chosen to use Sailfish OS 2.0, an operating system that has been through a decade of development started from the Nokia Maemo/Mer to Meego and now as Jolla Sailfish OS.

The Sailfish OS does not have a Home Button like iOS or Android. This eliminates a potential hardware failure as well as providing more viewable real estate for the display screen.

The Sailfish OS is more optimized compared to other mobile OS types used in the market. This optimization results in a faster system response without having to use the latest, fastest components in the market.

The Sailfish OS is a gesture-oriented OS rather than a task-oriented OS resulting in a much better user experience. It is customizable so you can personalize your user experience with content and actions that matter most to you.

The Sailfish OS supports Android apps. All Android apps will be running in the Alien Dalvik environment thus the Android app will be sandboxed and isolated from the rest of the Sailfish OS where it will not be able to modify any system/critical files.

See the Turing Phone running Sailfish OS 2.0
http://youtu.be/z1DnMn7P1oU

The first batch of Turing Phone(s) will be shipped as Evaluation Unit(s)" as we wish to upgrade you to the Snapdragon 820 Edition (free of charge) before the end of 2016. Turing Phone shipments will start on July 12th and continue until all units have been shipped. After your package has been dispatched we will send you an email with full tracking details for your reference.

We value your feedback, so kindly email us your comments & suggestions once you have your Turing Phone. Note: This free upgrade offer is valid only for those who have pre-ordered the Turing Phone in 2015.

Some of you have already decided to purchase other phones and hence asked for a refund. We have a "no questions asked" unconditional refund policy prior to shipment.

If you still wish to be issued a refund please contact our Customer Support at support@turingphone.com. Normally, refunds are processed within 24 hours but please expect 10-15 working days for the money to appear in your account.

Please bear with us while we continue to grow into a sizable company to tackle some of the most difficult and pressing tech challenges of our time.

Thank you very much for staying with us. We truly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Syl Chao
CEO | TRI

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic