MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Turing Phone with Sailfish OS

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 24.Oct.2016 01:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm afraid that 32 GB of RAM on this phone is as useful as the golden plate on its back, i.e. purely a promotional gimmick. I've never experienced any low memory situations on the Z10 (2 GB ) or the Passport (3 GB ), and that on a platform where 3rd party applications do exist and the Android runtime allows full multitasking. That powerful Snapdragon 820 CPU on this device certainly is a useful feature, but 32 GB of RAM is simply unusable...

BTW. Does anyone know if this device comes with Android runtime? If so, which Android version does it support?
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25.Oct.2016 21:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
I'm afraid that 32 GB of RAM on this phone is as useful as the golden plate on its back, i.e. purely a promotional gimmick. I've never experienced any low memory situations on the Z10 (2 GB ) or the Passport (3 GB ), and that on a platform where 3rd party applications do exist and the Android runtime allows full multitasking. That powerful Snapdragon 820 CPU on this device certainly is a useful feature, but 32 GB of RAM is simply unusable...

BTW. Does anyone know if this device comes with Android runtime? If so, which Android version does it support?

It doesn't make any sense at all if you don't need it. Also unlike with desktops, you don't get that extra performance due to the large amount of memory can be used for page caches. I know that with Android they move all the memory they can after a while in idle to the lower banks of the RAM. This is done because you have possibility to power off those memory banks that are not in use and save power. When you do this much of the cached memory will be discarded. This is the same mechanism that is used for hot swappable memory for servers.

If you don't "compact" the physical memory you will have a phone that has a worse standby time as 32GB will consume more power than for example with 4GB. Memory doesn't consume that much power but in standby it is actually very significant as it is always on (must be refreshed).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Oct.2016 19:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It doesn't make any sense at all if you don't need it.

Well, it's actually not a matter of whether you need it or not, but if there exist any ways to make use of it (or even just 10% of it).... This platform has a few hundred apps in total, and all of them very simple, made for the Jolla and its 1 GB of RAM. Android runtime (if at all it is available on this device) is also very old (Jelly Bean) and supports apps which were made when Android devices also only had 1-2 GB of RAM. Besides, it has a heap size of a few hundred MB. And just like Jolla doesn't do anything for more advanced apps to start coming out for this platform, I haven't noticed any such initiatives of Turing, either, so it's doubtful that anything is going to change in this regard anytime soon.

So there's virtually nothing that you can do to utilize even just 10% of this amount of RAM on this device. If on my Z10 (2 GB ) or the Passport (3 GB ) I can have multiple headless services running permanently in the background, launch several apps and have the web browser with 6-7 tabs opened, and there's still quite some RAM memory left, then I just can't imagine what could be done to utilize 32 GB on the Turing. In other words, I dare to say that this device would work exactly the same way with 4 GB of RAM, and the whole rest just takes space and eats some mAh's...

Of course, I understand that their intention was to make "the most advanced smartphone" which can possibly have some benefits when it comes to marketing, but I'd very much prefer that they all focus on finally enabling decent app development possibilities on this platform, of which they'd surely benefit much more than of even the most powerful hardware but lacking any decent native 3rd party apps and with Android runtime (if at all present on this phone) slowly reaching its EOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic