MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Microsoft is not focusing on phones this year

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 01.Apr.2016 16:01    Post subject: Microsoft is not focusing on phones this year   Reply with quote   

Microsoft is not focusing on phones this year, see The Verge:

Quote:
Microsoft: Windows Phone isn't our focus this year

Microsoft kicked off its Build developer conference in San Francisco with a focus on Windows 10, bots, and developer tools, but there was something missing: Windows Phone. A single demo of Skype running on a Windows Phone was the only time a phone running Windows 10 Mobile appeared for longer than a few seconds, and it felt like Microsoft was more focused on Windows 10 for Xbox and HoloLens. I got the chance to speak to Windows chief Terry Myerson briefly after today's keynote, and it's clear Microsoft's focus isn't on phones this year.

"We're fully committed to that 4-inch screen, there will be a time for it to be our focus, but right now it's part of the family but it's not the core of where I hope to generate developer interest over the next year," explains Myerson. "There's no lack of recognition to realize how important that form factor is, but for Microsoft with Windows and for our platform it's the wrong place for us to lead."

I pushed Myerson on his focus for Windows growth, and he was refreshingly honest about Microsoft's own mobile share. "If you wanted to reach a lot of phone customers, Windows Phone isn't the way to do it," admits Myerson. "If you want to reach a lot of Windows customers, then this is the largest install base of 9 to 30-inch screens. If you wanted to do new and exciting things, then the Xbox and HoloLens is the place to have a discussion."

This realistic approach realizes where Microsoft's strengths are: its domination of the PC market. That doesn't mean Microsoft is giving up on Windows Phone, it's just not a focus for this year. Who knows what that really means for the future, but Myerson hinted that it's not the end. "We're going to do some cool things with phones, but this year phones are an important part of our family but not the tip of the spear."

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Apr.2016 20:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's not surprising at all that they aren't focusing on phones, given that they only sold 2.3 million units of their phones in total last quarter, which is a massive 75% drop compared to the same period in 2015.

As I wrote in another thread, 2.3m units (of all Lumia models in total) is twice worse than sales of the Nokia N8 alone in Q4 2010, i.e. six years earlier when the smartphone market was many times smaller.

It just CAN'T be worse.

I wonder how much longer will it take until they finally realize that the world does not need or want their dreadful dumb OS.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Apr.2016 13:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Intel is giving up on the smartphone and tablet markets, see PC World:

Quote:
Intel cuts Atom chips, basically giving up on the smartphone and tablet markets

Intel is refocusing on 'products that deliver higher returns.'

Intel could be on the verge of exiting the market for smartphones and standalone tablets, wasting billions of dollars it spent trying to expand in those markets.

The company is immediately canceling Atom chips, code-named Sofia and Broxton, for mobile devices, an Intel spokeswoman confirmed.

These are the first products on the chopping block as part of Intel's plan to reshape operations after announcing plans this month to cut 12,000 jobs.

The news of the chip cuts was first reported by analyst Patrick Moorhead in an article on Forbes' website.

Resources originally dedicated to Broxton and Sofia chips will be moved to "products that deliver higher returns and advance our strategy," Intel's spokeswoman said in an email.

Intel's mobile chip roadmap now has a giant hole after the cancellation of the chips. Intel's existing smartphone and tablet-only chips are aging and due for upgrades, and no major replacements are in sight. Sofia is already shipping, and Broxton was due to ship this year but had been delayed.

Intel is also phasing out its Atom X5 line of tablet chips code-named Cherry Trail, which is being replaced by Pentium and Celeron chips code-named Apollo Lake, aimed more at hybrids than pure tablets. Many PC makers are already choosing Intel's Skylake Core M processors over Cherry Trail for hybrids and PC-like tablets.

Intel doesn't view tablets as a standalone market any longer, with form factors quickly merging. The company will continue to support current tablet customers with existing chips, the Intel spokeswoman said.

"In terms of Cherry Trail, form factor boundaries are increasingly blurring in the mobile computing market, and we no longer look at tablets as a stand-alone segment," an Intel spokeswoman said in an email Friday afternoon. "Our product roadmap reflects that. We will continue to support our tablet customers with Sofia 3G/3GR, Bay Trail and Cherry Trail now, and later with Apollo Lake and some SKUs from our Core processor family."

Some products were on tap to get axed after Intel said it would review product lines and projects while restructuring operations. Intel had already deemphasized its bread-and-butter PC business, and the plan to also cut the mobile chips may be smart.

Atom was an expensive failure

The company poured billions of dollars into its mobile business, but Intel failed to unseat market leader ARM. Atom is available in just a handful of smartphones, and the tablet market is declining. PC makers are replacing tablets with detachable devices and hybrids.

The Atom product line has been in trouble for some time. Atom started off with a bang in netbooks, but its fortunes have sagged since then. Intel's mobile chip updates haven't followed a set timeline, and the last Atom chips for servers were released in 2013.

Intel's mobile strategy is now tied up with 5G, and resources originally dedicated to Sofia and Broxton could be redirected in making 5G chips and modems. The new 5G networks could provide 100 times faster data throughput than 4G, and deployments are expected to start around 2020.

The move to 5G could change the way devices are made. Beyond mobile devices, it will bring speedy mobile connectivity to PCs, smart home devices, robots, drones, wearables, and industrial Internet of Things devices.

The focus on 5G also explains the retention of key mobile executive Aicha Evans by Intel. Earlier this month, it was reported that she was leaving the company after a year of leading the mobile chip business. But she's a 5G expert and has already outlined the company's strategy in that area. She will be staying at Intel, though her role is unclear.

The commitment to 5G is a long-term play for Intel, much like its Centrino wireless strategy in 2003 that ultimately made Wi-Fi a ubiquitous feature in laptops. The 5G move also plays into Intel's preference to focus on future technologies.

Atom's future could also be in the fast-growing Internet of Things market, which the chip maker is betting on. Variants of the Broxton chip could be used in smart gadgets and sensor devices that collect telemetry, which is then sent to the cloud for analysis.

Intel's main focus will continue to be on Xeon server chips, cloud computing, field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), and silicon photonics.

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 30.Apr.2016 14:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

... and that could spell trouble for an X86-compatible Surface phone, see PC World:

Quote:
The death of Intel's Atom casts a dark shadow over the rumored Surface Phone

Microsoft still reportedly remains committed to Windows 10 Mobile running on ARM chips. And what about the HoloLens?

Intel’s plans to discontinue its Atom chips for phones and some tablets may not have killed the dream of a Microsoft Surface phone—just the piece of it that made it so enticing.

In the wake of a restructuring that relegated the PC to just another connected device, Intel confirmed Friday that it has cancelled its upcoming SoFIA and Broxton chips. That leaves Intel with just one Atom chip, Apollo Lake, which it had slated for convertible tablets.

Microsoft has never formally commented on its future phone plans, save for a leaked email that suggests that Microsoft is committed to the Windows 10 Mobile platform and phones running ARM processors. But fans of the platform have long hoped for a phone that could run native Win32 legacy apps as well as the new UWP platform that Microsoft has made a central platform of Windows 10. The assumption was that this would require a phone running on an Intel Atom processor. Intel’s decision eliminates that option.

Unless Microsoft has some other trick up its sleeve, the most compelling justification for a Win32-based Surface phone appears to have died.

Intel gives up on the smartphone

Intel’s decision was first reported by analyst Patrick Moorhead, and confirmed by IDG News Service and PCWorld. Intel told PCWorld that it plans to kill the “Broxton” Atom platform as well as all the flavors of its SoFIA chips, which combined Atom cores with 3G and LTE modems for smartphones. The company said it will continue to support tablets with a 3G derivative of the SoFIA chip, the older Bay Trail and Cherry Trail, as well as some upcoming Core chips.

Microsoft uses a Cherry Trail chip inside of the HoloLens, but it's unclear whether or not that will be affected.

“I didn’t get the sense that they’re going to exit the tablet space—I felt like there was [a message] of ‘more coming soon,’” Moorhead said. “On the phone stuff, I just don’t think they’ll continue to do that, because, you know, it’s a business.”

Intel said recently that it plans to refocus on the data center, the Internet of Things, memory, 5G modems, and connectivity. To so, Intel will lay off 12,000 workers over the next year or so. But some Atoms apparently fell in the wake of a comprehensive program by Venkata Renduchintala, the new president of a newly created Client and Internet of Things (IoT) Businesses and Systems Architecture Group, to examine the viability of products across Intel’s client businesses.

Intel chief executive Brian Krzanich spoke optimistically about the phone business in 2014, and a year ago appeared prepared to do whatever it was necessary to make phones succeed. Now, Intel has acknowledged its defeat on the phones front and vowed to fight elsewhere.

“The reality is that if you’re going to spend money, you have to take it from somewhere else,” Moorhead said.

Windows Phone: running out of options

So does that mean that the dream of an Intel-based Windows phone is dead? “Yes, if they’re not going to go after the smartphone, I don’t see how that would be possible,” Moorhead said.

If Microsoft does remain committed to an X86-compatible Surface phone, it does have some options, however unattractive. Intel recently announced its next-generation Apollo Lake Atom architecture, which Intel positioned as the foundation for, not a phone, but an “entry level PC.” The Apollo Lake chips will be branded as Atom, Celeron, and Pentium, Intel said.

Intel hasn’t said exactly how much power the Apollo Lake chip will consume, though it’s made on the same 14-nm process as the existing “Cherry Trail” Atom chips. The Atom X7-Z8700 used in the Surface 3 is rated at just 2 watts of power. Does that mean that it (or Apollo Lake) could be squeezed into a phone or phablet running Windows 10 Mobile?

Intel seems to have left the possibility open. “In terms of Cherry Trail, form factor boundaries are increasingly blurring in the mobile computing market, and we no longer look at tablets as a stand-alone segment,” an Intel spokeswoman said via email. “Our product roadmap reflects that.”

Analysts, though, say it looks doubtful. “I have a hard time visualizing the package that would be compelling: with a phone running a processor that has never been used as a phone before that’s running as a fake desktop,” Wes Miller, an analyst with Directions on Microsoft, said in an interview. “And then what are you going to do for battery life? It’s very perplexing.”

That also means that that phone would have to have a discrete modem built in. Kevin Krewell, principal analyst at Tirias Research, noted that the SoFIA chip Intel cancelled was its first to have an integrated modem, which would make the phone even larger.

Unless AMD can somehow cut the power of its embedded chips—an aging AMD G-series LX still consumes about 5 watts—the only way to enable Win32 compatibility may be through virtualization. That’s the strategy HP’s Elite X3 is reportedly using, though that virtualization is back up through the cloud and back down to the phone. It appears, based on this Windows Central FAQ, that a business will have to tailor this compatibility with HP itself on an app-by-app basis.

Even then, however, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where a phone that needs to communicate with the cloud to perform virtualization in a faux-desktop environment wouldn’t end up sitting next to a computer or thin client that does the same thing, Miller pointed out.

So... same old, same old?

The leaked memo from Microsoft’s OS chief, Terry Myerson, certainly makes clear that Microsoft is committed to Windows 10 Mobile. (A Microsoft spokeswoman declined to comment on Intel's announcement.) “Let me be very clear: We are committed to deliver Windows 10 on mobile devices with small screen running ARM processors,” Myerson wrote. “We are currently in development of our next-generation products and I wanted to reconfirm our commitment to Windows 10 Mobile.”

Which, of course, is exactly what Microsoft is shipping today: Windows 10 Mobile on ARM processors. But sales are still plunging, and Microsoft is giving its phones away as a result.

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.May.2016 04:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

They can't even make their Windows Update service work right, this damn thing freezes, keeps searching for updates for hours taking 30% CPU and 40% RAM only to find nothing, and so on. One patch fixes it, then a few days later it returns. I keep experiencing it every now and then on many different computers (desktop, laptop, tablet) running different OS versions (Win 7 Home, 7 Pro, 10 Pro, both 32-bit and 64-bit) and I see lots of people complaining about it all around the Internet. Some people even experience up to 100% CPU usage and half of RAM eaten, and still nothing found many hours later.

Gore or the EU should sue them for increasing the greenhouse effect with all those billions of CPUs worldwide heating up the atmosphere trying to find their damn updates at 5x the normal CPU usage, not to mention everyone's electricity bills increased by such boosted CPU usage several times a day. I had to switch wuauserv service to manual launch on my laptop as I couldn't stand the CPU heating up and the fan spinning for no reason every couple of hours and making the battery last 1/3rd shorter.

I won't even mention all those cases where an update breaks a perfectly good Windows installation, or when an update freezes for good in the middle of installation, or countless other adventures like that.

And thanks God that I removed all that GWX (Get Win 10) nagware from all my Win 7 machines long ago, or else by now it would have made me go insane, fly to Redmond and kick someone's teeth out. I paid full price for all my Win 7 installations and the way they were bombing me with that GWX s**t against my will and without any permission of mine was beyond ANY acceptable level. I don't give a **** what they want to give me "for free", they have to respect that they are not permitted to bomb me with it on a system that I DID PAY for. I thought that they already stopped doing it but recently when a friend of mine asked me to do something on his computer I could not focus on doing anything as that GWX cr*p was popping up a few times every hour. Not to even mention that it automatically downloads gigabytes of Win 10 installation data and re-does it everytime you delete it to free up some precious wasted space on your system SSD drive. Surely a feature especially welcome by those who pay for traffic or have data limits.

But even after I got rid of all that GWX cr*p on all my computers, I still have to waste time on manually checking the details of every single new Win 7 update they issue as every third of them turns out to be another DISGUISED TROJAN of theirs showing up as an "important update" but in reality meant only to re-enable GWX and keep "testing my computer for new OS compliance" and send suspicious data to them. I had to reject and hide more such updates in the past few months than during the last 20 years.

The way this company has been acting for some time is simply UNBEARABLE, and getting even worse and worse.

So maybe they should focus on properly doing their most basic things first and stopping to outrage and madden millions of their existing customers, and only then aim at smartphones they know s**t about.

It's the worst company I've dealt with through all my life. No question about it. After such experiences I wouldn't buy their smartphone no matter what, for the sake of my privacy and self-respect.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.May.2016 15:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Worse is the Window update is forced o Window 10. This damm update sometimes takes a huge chunk of my phone data as i use my phone for tethering. A window defender database is acceptable as that is essential but some update like cumulative update or update for Window is pain in ass for my phone data. Though how i hate Window, Window have become to dominance and too integrated for me to switch. Linux is out of equation and OS X is like a prison with its own ecosystem.
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Monday, 09.May.2016 14:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't use Windows at the moment . So no experience , but I have been reading about GWX Control Panel Tool , to avoid the Update irriations .
See for more information :
GWX Control Panel :
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-fore ver-3614204/

GWX Control Panel Download :
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Smile Regards jApi NL
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 09.May.2016 15:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

jApi NL wrote:
I don't use Windows at the moment . So no experience , but I have been reading about GWX Control Panel Tool , to avoid the Update irriations .
See for more information :
GWX Control Panel :
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-fore ver-3614204/

GWX Control Panel Download :
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Smile Regards jApi NL

I didn't mean the update from Window 7 to 10. What i mean is the Window update in Window 10 itself is no longer allow you to select or postpone update like in Window7. Now whenever update is available for Window 10,it will automatically download the update without any notification. Even installed update does not have notification unless the update require restart which there will be a notification inform you to restart.
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.May.2016 12:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi traxx ; see what you mean .
In your first sentence : " forced o Window 10 " , I was reading : " forced TO Window 10 " . So from 7 or 8 to 10 .
At the moment I am also thetering , using a lumia 950xl as hotspot , and an android tablet as workstation . This setup doesn't install software automatically , except for Google Crashservice of 0,8 MB everytime at startup . Probably because the OS is Kitkat .
The lumia on Windows 10 doesn't Auto - update by the way when it is on limited data network like 4G . On WiFi updates are also pushed , or you can look for updates manually . Only two settings are possible : 1) install updates automatic at idle time or 2) install updates at a preset time .

BTW I still use Fileplay on my Nokia !

Regards : jApi NL Smile

In the mean time I found this :
Win Updates Disabler v1.4
http://www.site2unblock.com/win-updates-disabler
I still cannot tell from my own experience , but the page referres to external comments

Smile Regards : jApi NL
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.May.2016 15:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

BTW I still use Fileplay on my Nokia !

LOL Laughing Laughing . Old customer. Can't believe it is popular in Symbian World haha. I guess people rarely use traxx name that you can even know me in this forum.

Quote:

New postPosted: Tuesday, 10.May.2016 18:06 Post subject: Reply with quote Thank this user for his post Report this post to the moderators of this forum
Hi traxx ; see what you mean .
In your first sentence : " forced o Window 10 " , I was reading : " forced TO Window 10 " . So from 7 or 8 to 10 .
At the moment I am also thetering , using a lumia 950xl as hotspot , and an android tablet as workstation . This setup doesn't install software automatically , except for Google Crashservice of 0,8 MB everytime at startup . Probably because the OS is Kitkat .
The lumia on Windows 10 doesn't Auto - update by the way when it is on limited data network like 4G . On WiFi updates are also pushed , or you can look for updates manually . Only two settings are possible : 1) install updates automatic at idle time or 2) install updates at a preset time

With mobile os i can postpone update as mobile phone is not that important but a computer is much more important and i like to keep it updated and secure with security update as soon as possible. The problem is i can't choose which to update. Though there is an option to defer upgrade for few month in setting but i can't which or what is update to deferred. .It is either update all or stop all.I would like to postpone some update so it can be download after i reach my data limit which the speed is throttle down.

Window 10 is nice but started to feel like mobile OS which is quite restricted.I don't like third party solution for small issue as this can cluttered my computer. Unlike a phone which i can reset anytime with only few setting to remember, computer have too many stuff which will take me months to set it back.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Wednesday, 18.May.2016 12:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Microsoft selling off "feature phones" (whatever that means nowadays in regards to Microsoft Mobile) to two companies (Foxonn and a new one, HMD):

http://news.microsoft.com/2016/05/18/microsoft-selling-feature-phone-b usiness-to-fih-mobile-ltd-and-hmd-global-oy/

At the same time this HMD and Nokia announces that HMD has secured a 10-year agreement to use the Nokia name on mobile phones and tablets:

http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/2016/05/18/nokia-signs -strategic-brand-and-intellectual-property-licensing-agreement-enablin g-hmd-global-to-create-new-generation-of-nokia-branded-mobile-phones-a nd-tablets
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.May.2016 01:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I didn't mean the update from Window 7 to 10. What i mean is the Window update in Window 10 itself is no longer allow you to select or postpone update like in Window7.

That's really awful. But this GWX cr*p is even more annoying. See this video for how it pops up WHENEVER it likes, even in the middle of serious work (in this case, right in the middle of a live TV broadcast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPeTrHNX1U

I removed it from all my computers using Win10 WIWI (Win10 When I Want It):

http://win10wiwi.com/#hero
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.May.2016 17:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

That's really awful. But this GWX cr*p is even more annoying. See this video for how it pops up WHENEVER it likes, even in the middle of serious work (in this case, right in the middle of a live TV broadcast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPeTrHNX1U

I removed it from all my computers using Win10 WIWI (Win10 When I Want It):

http://win10wiwi.com/#hero

LOL must be how annoying watching a live broadcast and the pop up block it hahaha. I never got that annoying pop up as i upgrade to Window 10 as soon as it is available. Actually i do like Window 10. The only thing i can think of annoying and hate the most is the Window update that auto donwload. Waste a lot my data on this [put your favorite swearword here] alone.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.May.2016 15:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Microsoft is leaving phone hardware, see Recode:

Quote:
Microsoft is giving up on consumer smartphones, too

The company is taking a $950 million charge to unwind the last vestiges of the Nokia deal.

Microsoft is further scaling back its flagging phone business, exiting the consumer market and cutting another 1,850 jobs.

As part of the move announced Wednesday, Microsoft will take a $950 million charge and cut what little remained of its Finland-based phone hardware business, unwinding the last of its disastrous $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia's phone unit.

Last week, Microsoft announced separately that it was selling what was left of its low-end "feature phone" business.

The company has been scaling back its phone ambitions ever since the Nokia deal closed, with CEO Satya Nadella quickly shifting to a strategy focused on bringing Microsoft's software and services to Android and iOS rather than trying to convince phone buyers to shift to Windows.

Despite all the cuts — and having already seen its market share dip below 1 percent — Microsoft says it isn't totally out of the phone-making business.

The company insists it will continue to serve phones aimed at the business market and license Windows 10 to any other hardware makers that want to give Windows Phone a try.

"When I look back on our journey in mobility, we’ve done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact," Microsoft's Windows and Devices head Terry Myerson wrote in an email to staff.

While the company said Wednesday to expect new Microsoft-made phone models, it declined to offer any specifics on its future hardware roadmap or to say why an even more decimated phone lineup will have greater appeal than the current one.

Microsoft moved last summer to limit the number of countries in which it sold phones and to focus on three main customer segments: Windows enthusiasts, entry-level smartphones and the business market.

Already by then it was hard to see how Microsoft could win by scaling back.

"It’s hard to see Microsoft’s massive phone layoffs leading to something other than an eventual exit from the phone business," Recode wrote at the time.

Here's Myerson's full memo to Microsoft employees:

To: Microsoft - All Employees

Date: Wednesday 5/25, 2AM Pacific Time

Subject: Focusing our phone hardware efforts

Team,

Last week we announced the sale of our feature phone business. Today I want to share that we are taking the additional step of streamlining our smartphone hardware business, and we anticipate this will impact up to 1,850 jobs worldwide, up to 1,350 of which are in Finland. These changes are incredibly difficult because of the impact on good people who have contributed greatly to Microsoft. Speaking on behalf of Satya and the entire Senior Leadership Team, we are committed to help each individual impacted with our support, resources, and respect.

For context, Windows 10 recently crossed 300 million monthly active devices, our Surface and Xbox customer satisfaction is at record levels, and HoloLens enthusiasts are developing incredible new experiences. Yet our phone success has been limited to companies valuing our commitment to security, manageability, and Continuum, and with consumers who value the same. Thus, we need to be more focused in our phone hardware efforts.

With this focus, our Windows strategy remains unchanged:

1. Universal apps. We have built an amazing platform, with a rich innovation roadmap ahead. Expanding the devices we reach and the capabilities for developers is our top priority.

2. We always take care of our customers, Windows phones are no exception. We will continue to update and support our current Lumia and OEM partner phones, and develop great new devices.

3. We remain steadfast in our pursuit of innovation across our Windows devices and our services to create new and delightful experiences.Our best work for customers comes from our device, platform, and service combination.

At the same time, our company will be pragmatic and embrace other mobile platforms with our productivity services, device management services, and development tools -- regardless of a person’s phone choice, we want everyone to be able to experience what Microsoft has to offer them.

With that all said… I used the words “be more focused” above. This in fact describes what we are doing (we’re scaling back, but we’re not out!), but at the same time I don’t love it because it lacks the emotional impact of this decision. When I look back on our journey in mobility, we’ve done hard work and had great ideas, but have not always had the alignment needed across the company to make an impact. At the same time, Ars Technica recently published a long story documenting our journey to create the universal platform for our developers. The story shows the real challenges we faced, and the grit required to get it done. The story closes with this:

And as long as it has taken the company, Microsoft has still arguably achieved something that its competitors have not... It took more than two decades to get there, but Microsoft still somehow got there first.

For me, that’s what focus can deliver for us, and now we get to build on that foundation to build amazing products.

Terry
--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 27.May.2016 11:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good news. As I wrote in another thread, there is justice in this world.

13 years ago the Sendo case didn't teach them that scr*wing other companies this way doesn't pay, so luckily the Nokia case did it this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic