MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish Community Device Program

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jun.2016 16:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There apparently were some more Jolla C devices available today in the Jolla Online Shop, but they were quickly sold out again.

http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/sailfish-community/sfos-community-develope r-programme-offering.html

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 18.Jun.2016 13:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

There apparently were some more Jolla C devices available today in the Jolla Online Shop, but they were quickly sold out again.

.... about which I learned four days later, as Jolla - again - did not bother to inform. Their very special way of attracting developers and encouraging them to make applications for this platform is indeed #unlike. With well known results.

But this whole community program was clearly meant to quickly get money for their tablet refunds, so no wonder that they were interested in selling those phones to literally anyone rather than to actual developers.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 19.Jun.2016 10:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Second batch of Jolla C was sold out in 15 minutes, see blog post:

Quote:
Sailfish Community Device Program and Jolla C second batch

* Update: Sold out in 15 minutes! *

We are super excited to announce that we’ve secured a new batch of Jolla C devices, and can thus take more participants to the Sailfish Community Device Program. The new batch is a very limited one, meaning that we can take only a few hundred new participants to the program.

We gave a head up this morning to all people who gave their email address on our sites, and this batch is already almost sold out. If you want to secure your place, better be quick!

Read more about the Sailfish Community here, and also check the Jolla C product page.

For a smooth Jolla Shop experience:

To secure your place in the Sailfish Community Device Program and get the Jolla C, please keep in mind the following when entering the Jolla Shop:

1. Select and save your country/region for the Jolla Shop from the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page – see below for reference:

2. Sometimes an order gets stuck in “Waiting for Payment” status. Should this happen to you, we kindly advise you to complete a new order at your earliest convenience; please do not attempt to fix or otherwise redo an existing order. While this may lead to having multiple failed orders with this status, our experience has shown that eventually reordering will result in a successfully completed order. Jolla will then cancel any orders in the shop that are stuck in “Waiting for Payment” status without prior consent or notification.

We hope to see you soon in the Sailfish Community Device Program!

On behalf of the whole Jolla team,
James

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 20.Jun.2016 03:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

We gave a head up this morning to all people who gave their email address on our sites, and this batch is already almost sold out.

Quote:
Update: Sold out in 15 minutes!

This is literally insane. They send an email to people IN THE MORNING and give them FIFTEEN MINUTES to rush to their site and buy the phone or else it'll be sold out again. As if they were Apple or something, and all developers on Earth just couldn't wait to sell their kidneys to get their new phone and start developing for their OS.

NO Jolla, it's not like that. Your OS is among the LEAST popular and with the LEAST native software available for it, of all. 99,999999% of developers on this planet don't even know that you exist. It is YOU who needs to STRUGGLE to attract new developers, invite and encourage them to make apps for your platform. Emailing people in the morning and giving them FIFTEEN MINUTES to get your phone, is simply A-M-U-S-I-N-G.

Of course, this program won't bring A SINGLE NEW DEVELOPER to this platform. Its only result will be that regular users who've been looking for an upgrade to their aging Jolla phone will get a new device, and that's it. In terms of native software it will mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

As for me, I have NOT been informed about availability of this phone neither the previous time nor this time. They only send me emails AFTER that, kindly informing me that such offer WAS available and the batch is already sold out. Clearly, they don't give a **** about developers who have a dozen of 5-star apps for other platforms like BB10 and would like to release them for SFOS. But don't worry Jolla, I won't buy it anyway, as long as you treat developers like s**t and don't even bother to TALK about when you finally start supporting paid apps in your store or release a final, fully usable SDK.

This is some kind of hide-and-seek game. They keep PRETENDING that they want any new developers or more native software, while at the same time doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to achieve this. For almost 3 years now. Their "community programs" are meant to only quickly sell some devices to literally ANYONE and this way earn some cash, without even expanding their user base, as it is only the EXISTING users buying a new phone, so it doesn't give the platform neither any new developers nor even users. And these programs are called "community programs" solely because the phone comes without required CE certificates, declaration of conformity, warranty, etc., so it is not suitable for regular sale and needs to be offered through this kind of "program". That's the SOLE reason.

This OS, no matter how good, is just bound to fail, as its own maker doesn't give it ANY CHANCES to expand. For 3 years NOTHING WHATSOEVER has been done to attract a single new developer to this platform. Check their developer mailinglist - TWENTY or so guys doing something for fun in their spare time. It's HILARIOUS.

P.S. And the way they brag about some fanboys instantly buying out all the phones that were allegedly meant to be bought by serious developers and finally bring to the platform so badly needed high quality native apps is simply childish and only proves that they lack any perspective thinking. Instead of any serious long-term plans like e.g. finally starting to build native app ecosystem, it's all about just quickly earning some cash again and staying alive for a further couple of months. Pathetic.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Monday, 20.Jun.2016 15:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
and this way earn some cash

If they only would earn cash. I doubt they do. They offered the phone for EUR 149,-. To me this seems to be a net cost price.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 21.Jun.2016 10:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

If they only would earn cash. I doubt they do. They offered the phone for EUR 149,-. To me this seems to be a net cost price.

We don't know how (and for how much) they get those phones, do we? Maybe from every Aqua Fish manufacturing batch they get certain number of units for free, as part of the agreement between them and Intex, for providing their OS to be used on Aqua Fish. Quite possible, not to say very likely. And if so, then in such case their profit would be the entire EUR 149 per unit (which quite possibly would be more than if they manufactured those phones themselves and needed to bear all the costs of it), and their best interest would be to sell as many of them as quickly as possible, i.e. exactly what they do. And as the phone comes without warranty, it doesn't even bring any future servicing costs.

This is the only logical explanation that comes to my mind of why they offer an allegedly developer device to literally anyone, which causes that all of them get bought within MINUTES by regular users before a single developer can even learn about it, especially that they don't even bother to properly inform existing developers, not to even mention reaching out to anyone NEW outside of the existing ultra-tiny and hermetic Sailfish OS environment. I exclude the possibility that they are idiots, I'm strongly convinced that they know very well what they do and that selling these phones this way won't bring them absolutely anything in terms of development of native apps. Just like they also know very well why since 2013 they haven't bothered to enable support for paid apps in their store and still refuse to even just TALK about it, or why they have never bothered to finalize their SDK to a decent usability level. These three facts combined just speak for themselves, and their fairytales about them willing to increase the number of native apps just can't contadict what they PERMANENTLY DO AGAINST IT.

Or if you know any other valid explanation, please share it.

P.S. Let me also give an example of how other companies provide access to developer units. For instance, if a few years ago you wanted to get a Tizen developer device, you needed to provide and confirm to them your developer record - existing applications, finished or started projects, etc., and even those submissions were subject to selection. And that with Samsung's mighty budged behind it. Clearly, those who REALLY intend that their (true, not alleged) developer units reach (true, not alleged) developers and REALLY result in some apps in exchange, know well how to do it, as opposed to tiny and poor Jolla with their so severely limited number of developer devices (for the first time in 3 years), yet providing all of them to anyone and not even giving developers any kind of priority or heads-up, which obviously causes that the devices reach everyone BUT any new developers.

Or have you noticed any new applications since the previous batch of 1000 "developer units" were sold out within a few hours a few weeks ago?

P.S.2 See this:

These are some of my apps, ported long ago to Sailfish OS (there are two more in another folder, 9 in total). Check file dates. All of them catching dust on my hard disk, for 2-3 years now. Not because I don't want to release them but because Jolla stubbornly makes it impossible to all developers like me to make any use of them as there's no place to offer them.

So what people like me are supposed to think about them, after having wasted time and money to make apps for their OS and after nearly 3 years still not being able to sell them? Is my irritation (regularly incited with such annoying actions as this so-called "community program" and their fairytales about them willing to stimulate development of native apps) any exaggerated? How many other (e.g. former Symbian and Harmattan) developers ported their apps to Sailfish long ago and for YEARS have been forced to keep them catching dust on their computers? So who's really to blame for the lack of native apps? Let's name a SINGLE thing Jolla has ever done to TRULY enable normal app development on this platform...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 05.Aug.2016 17:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A Jolla C update, see blog post:

Quote:
Jolla C shipments & what’s next?

We’re happy to tell you that all of the community device program Jolla C devices have now been shipped. These also include the few challenging cases, which for different reasons did not ship during July as promised. So if you were among these rare exceptions, you should receive your device in a few days. We hope you all enjoy your new Jolla devices.

The Sailfish Community Device Program continues soon in August with the first online sessions – in mid-August we’ll arrange two sessions with working titles “Sailfish OS tips and tricks” and “Community Pootle”. All program participants will be invited to attend the live sessions, and for others we’ll post the sessions later to SailfishOS.org. Our community manager James Noori will email event invitations to you in a few days.

Any ideas, suggestions or questions related to the community program? Please email community@jolla.com or comment here in the blog.

On behalf of the Jolla team,
Juhani

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Aug.2016 01:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

We’re happy to tell you that all of the community device program Jolla C devices have now been shipped.

Let me repeat my question: how many new native 3rd party apps did it result in? Two? Three? Or maybe none?
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Tuesday, 09.Aug.2016 17:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

Let me repeat my question: how many new native 3rd party apps did it result in? Two? Three? Or maybe none?

It does mention community device not developer device so i think they do intend to sell this to jolla fan, not developer
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 10.Aug.2016 17:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It does mention community device not developer device so i think they do intend to sell this to jolla fan, not developer

In the first email I got from them about this program (the one in which they kindly informed me that such program.... was there and that the inventory was already sold out) they wrote, let me quote it: "The program, crafted for Sailfish community developers and fans" and also that "it is a new initiative by Jolla, crafted to boost the Sailfish community by activating and empowering developers and fans around the world."

So yes, fans too, but in addition to developers, who were mentioned in the first place and a dozen of times in that email.

Therefore I am asking: how many devices did actual developers manage to buy if the sale was organized in such a way that it wasn't giving them any priority or actually any chance to be quicker than all the teenager fans (especially that developers like me were informed about it only PAST everything got sold out), and how many new native applications did this program result in, if its main goal was to "empower and activate developers".

I think that these are valid questions, unless it was just an ordinary sale in disguise.

===

P.S. Look at this screenshot. These are just some of the applications I made for BB10. There's more than 20 of them in total now. All of them could have also been available for the Jolla if they were giving developers any real opportunities.

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Aug.2016 15:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A few Jolla C devices are on pre-order in Russia, see blog post:

Quote:
Limited batch of Jolla C now available in Russia

We now have some good news for our Russian developer and fan community members! As mentioned earlier in the Sailfish Community Device Program availability, we promised to work on getting the program and Jolla C available also for other key markets, and the Russian community is next in line. Now, together with our partners in Russia, you now have the opportunity to pre-order the device here.

Purchasing the device entitles you to join the Sailfish Community Device Program. You’ll receive an invitation to join the group after you’ve done the shopping, which is expected to happen in the second half of September. This is the time when the shipping is also expected to take place.

It is a very limited offering (just a few hundred devices/places), so better be quick!

Pre-order here

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 06.Sep.2016 00:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My question still stands: how many new native applications came out as a result of this "program"? Anyone knows?
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Tuesday, 06.Sep.2016 01:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's funny how different their approach is compared to Microsoft. The strategy of Microsoft was to litter all the stores with Windows Phone devices, which didn't sell well but they did litter the stores and everywhere with their phones in order to try get any market share.

Jolla do the exact opposite, the newer updated hardware version of Jolla could sell much better if they didn't limited themselves but Jolla has decided they don't want to sell many phones.

contrasts.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 06.Sep.2016 13:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The craziest thing about Jolla is that since their beginning they've been doing literally WHATEVER THEY CAN to PREVENT the formation of native ecosystem. Jolla is the only company in the whole history of smartphones that doesn't let developers sell their apps (which obviously results in only a handful of geeks developing for fun), and it is the only company that for three years hasn't bothered to get their SDK out of beta. And when they launch their community program, they organize it in such a way that almost all phones get bought by regular end users, not developers. I won't even mention how they dumped one of their most innovative things, i.e. TOH, which could have brought them lots of amazingly useful accessories and equally impressive software to control them.

Now that more and more Android apps require Google Play services (which slowly becomes a standard) and newer Android API levels than their ancient 4.x, very soon they'll wake up with almost no recent Android apps running in their outdated Android runtime and no native apps to substitute for them.

Their Android runtime is slowly approaching its EOL (even if they update it to something newer, Google won't allow officially using Play services on it), and they wasted whopping three years during which they could have collected a decent native app selection. So soon they'll end up with nothing whatsoever.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, horror, BentL

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
479 in 351 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Jan.2017 18:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Forbes contributor Ewan Spence (of All About Symbian and All About Windows Phone fame) rates Jolla C as third best smartphone of 2016, see Forbes:

Quote:
Forget Your iPhone 7 Plus, Ignore The Galaxy S7 Edge, This Is Your Smartphone of 2016

To me, deciding on my 'Smartphone of the Year' is a curious challenge. The choice can't simply be 'the best phone' because everyone has a slightly different criteria for what makes the best phone. If I were to think about it empirically and go for the phone that fits the majority of people's criteria I wouldn't have the best phone, I would have 'the average phone of the year' that upsets the least number of people.

For a smartphone to pick up my personal award it needs to say something about itself, about the manufacturer behind it, and it needs to reflect the smartphone industry over the last twelve months.

So, with just a little bit of scene-setting and discussion about the phones I'm placing in third and second place, let's find out my smartphone of 2016.

Third Place: Jolla C, by Jolla

I've known that the Jolla C would be in the running for a long time for the award, because for the middle six months of the year it was the perfect use of 'proof by negation' of what the smartphone industry required from a smartphone in 2016.

The Jolla C hardware might look a touch underpowered, although it has been built to a very low price of around 170 Euros. With a SnapDragon 212 System on chip, 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage and a 2500 mAh battery, the real strength is in the software. It runs a 'clean' version of Sailfish OS which flies even on these apparently low specifications.

Around one thousand handsets were released (as 'developer editions') and offered over the summer months - a short run that was almost instantly snapped up by the faithful. It made some waves online, but no more. Here was a small company, making the hardware, putting on the software, and distributing the machine. Sailfish OS is compact, designed for a 'buttonless' smartphone relying solely on touchscreen input, with genuine multitasking on top of a robust Linux-based OS. It's robustness was proved on this low-priced Nexus-like device.

There's something delightful about having full access to the system, command line access and a fully internet-connected terminal app in my pocket. For my 'day to day' phone that needs to pick up texts and messages, handle some light web browsing and dealing with my diary management, the Jolla C is all that I need. I make no bones about it, I enjoy using the Jolla handset... but I also realises that it is a vision of a smartphone that has passed into history.

The Jolla C falls short as a consumer device because so much of what defines a smartphone in 2016 (and into 2017) is not in the hardware, but in the cloud services that attach to the software on the device. Jolla's Sailfish OS tries to bridge that gap by providing an Android emulation layer, and while it does allow Android apps to run on the device emulation on a SnapDragon 200 series is never going to offer stellar performance, it falls apart when you look to log onto the Google Play Store or make use of Google's cloud based apps. You need to hunt around to find valid installation files for Microsoft's cloud-based apps such as Outlook and OneNote. Third party services like DropBox are patchy at best, and don't even think about media services like Spotify and Netflix.

The Jolla C shows how mature the market is by showing just how hard it is for a new player to become established. The relationships required to have a solid portfolio of apps to simply match the competition is beyond the reach of almost every company. With Apple's iOS remaining exclusive to Apple, Google's flavour of Android has a lock on the ecosystem for new entrants - although Microsoft's Windows 10 and its universal apps promises another way in, it needs to prove itself in 2017.

In a sense it is an extension of the principles that saw me select the WileyFox Swift last year. You need to choose an operating system that has the breath of apps and services to appeal to the customers. You need to have attractive hardware at a well-considered price point. The increase of competent handsets at a lower price means that relying purely on budget is not enough - brand and trust are important features at the low-end level. Low priced hardware has changed the market.

Jolla is moving more towards a software-based solution and recent developments show that the company has pivoted away from the brutal hardware-first market.

Other manufacturers are still looking to profit from devices, and while some are looking at the high-volume low-margin business (and the prospect of Nokia's former staff returning to this battlefield during 2017 is tempting), there is a continual fight to try to establish a high-volume high-priced handset.

He has the discontinued Galaxy Note 7 in first place and the iPhone 7 Plus in second place.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic