MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sailfish Community Device Program

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Jan.2017 12:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just a little remark:
Quote:

and don't even think about media services like Spotify and Netflix.

Hmm, since Amazon App Store runs fine on the Jolla, it is no problem to install Netflix and Spotify Android versions.
And I regularly use Cutespot as native Spotify client which runs just fine.

Still, we all know about the lack of native apps for Sailfish and we all know this will not change without a "proper" Appstore with paid apps support....
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 03.Feb.2017 15:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There will be more community devices for this year, see tweet:

Quote:
@JollaHQ

Please stay tuned for our future announcements. We have promised more community devices for this year! Fingers crossed Wink

--
Bent Laursen
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Feb.2017 16:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Why don't they continuously manufacturer these devices or make large amounts of them? Obviously there is a high demand as the are sold out almost immediately. Are they afraid they will get too high profits?

I've been try to get one of these for a while now but they are difficult to get hold on.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Feb.2017 20:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

MeowTseDong wrote:
Why don't they continuously manufacturer these devices or make large amounts of them? Obviously there is a high demand as the are sold out almost immediately. Are they afraid they will get too high profits? I've been try to get one of these for a while now but they are difficult to get hold on.

I am registered, subscribed to their emails. For years I've been getting from them all kinds of spam (completely out of my interest) like announcements of their partnerships in some exotic countries, but I never ever get anything related to their developer or community programs. Actually, last year I did get ONE email about those community devices, but only AFTER they were all already sold out (the email I got was titled: "Jolla announces Sailfish Community Device Program and sells out during launch day").

So, I don't know what kind of games they play, but they definitely do NOT seem to be wanting to let developers know about it and really increase their developer base. They've got my email in their database, they do email me that their community device has just SOLD OUT, but one day earlier they do NOT email me that there is such a program so that I could buy the phone before it sells out. Instead, they announce it where only regular users come, which causes that nearly all of those allegedly community devices go to regular users before any developer even learns about it. What kind of game is that?

And now again some vague statement about a few more of those devices to be made available on some unspecified date "this year", as if I didn't have anything better to do than from now on monitor their sites three times a day over the next 320 days in order not to miss those phones before they once again all sell out to regular users within two hours.

This definitely ISN'T how the SMALLEST mobile app ecosystem on this planet should be reaching out to new developers in order to finally start growing. It is completely unprofessional, unserious and simply disrespectful.

I am ready to start making apps their platform ANYTIME, but only when I see that they treat me (and developers in general) seriously, i.e. that they really intend to finally start caring for and supporting app development.

Their stubborn refusal to start supporting paid apps, and their stupid games about their alleged 'community devices' always being offered in a way that makes them all being instantly intercepted by regular users before developers can even learn about them, keep showing to me that nothing has changed and that they still DON'T WANT to have any serious native app ecosystem and they consciously choose to keep fully relying on their ancient Android 4.2.2 (or whatever it is now) runtime that is just about to reach its EOL.

Honestly, it's such a P.O.S. that I just can't find proper words to describe it. Of which the number of existing native apps after more than 3 years is the best proof.

===

P.S. They're JUST missing another (and most probably the LAST) moment when they could attract some decent number of developers to their platform. It is now clear that BlackBerry BB10 has been ditched, so there are quite a few BB10 developers deciding RIGHT NOW what to develop for next. This is the LAST popular and relatively large Qt-based platform on the market, i.e. the LAST SOURCE of developers already skilled in Qt development and thus able to start developing for SFOS instantly and without having to learn anything (which is important, as no one else will bother to invest time into learning how to program for such a tiny platform as Jolla). If Jolla ignores this LAST chance to reach out to Qt developers now leaving BB10, once they all move to Android development there will be NO ONE left to bother making any apps for the Jolla.

Sleep well Jolla while the last batch of Qt developers just vanishes.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Feb.2017 19:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As sad as it is, that's very well said, Michal...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Feb.2017 20:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, as much as I hate complaining, someone has to keep telling like it is. This strange company makes a fantastic mobile OS but at the very same time since the very beginning they've been doing literally everything for it to remain forever a niche platform that no one develops for. I just can't undestand their motives, no matter how hard I try.

This ancient Android 4.2.x runtime and no possibility to upgrade it (as Google doesn't allow it) has already killed BB10, and Jolla is going to be the very next victim of it. Fully relying on it instead of taking this last chance to finally start quickly building a decent selection of native apps is just insane. And so is their stubborn refusal to offer as simple thing as support for paid apps in their app store, which is the ONLY way to attract any new developers, as - obviously - no one else but those few existing geeks will come to their platform to develop for free.

I'd somehow understand this irrational behavior if at least they were able to upgrade the Android runtime to some new version and therefore be able to keep relying on Android apps, but they can't do even that.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Friday, 24.Feb.2017 21:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On the Jolla home page, they have now removed their store completely suggesting that they will never make a HW phone again. The question is they even will make a Jolla C again, I doubt it. Now they will try to sell Sailfish OS to OEMs instead.

Meanwhile on their home page they even link to OnePlus X, an Android phone where Sailfish have been ported. Will the OnePlus X be the "community device" from now on?

Then we have Nokia. We already know that they will release the Nokia 6 and then we have the rumored Nokia 8. The question is if these Nokia phones will be used together with Sailfish.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 25.Feb.2017 17:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

On the Jolla home page, they have now removed their store completely suggesting that they will never make a HW phone again. The question is they even will make a Jolla C again, I doubt it. Now they will try to sell Sailfish OS to OEMs instead.

Meanwhile on their home page they even link to OnePlus X, an Android phone where Sailfish have been ported. Will the OnePlus X be the "community device" from now on?

Even if they don't plan to manufacture any hardware and want to focus solely on developing and licencing the OS, I still don't get it how running an app store by them could conflict with such plans. Their app store could be the official, central app store of the platform they licence. It would stimulate the growth of native ecosystem and thus make the platform more attractive to potential licensees, and it would simply be an additional source of income for the Jolla as app store operators usually take 30% of every sale.

Google doesn't make any phones themselves but they do run the Play app store which is the official, main and most popular Android app store used by all brands manufacturing Android phones, right?

As I wrote so many times, understanding this Jolla company is way beyond my abilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic