MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sony Xperia devices with Sailfish OS

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Oct.2017 01:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

Yes. As long as I cannot find a single feature in which Sailfish OS would be better than BB10 (more stable, more secure, faster, better looking, more intuitive to use, more software, etc.) I just can't find any reasons to dump BB10 and switch to Sailfish OS. It is actually of no real importance to me whether BB10 is an actively developed OS or not, as long as it still just works (and continues to be the most stable mobile system I've ever had) and the phones I use it on are still fast enough for normal use. Which I think gives me at least one year if not more of futher satisfactory use of my Passport. Only when it becomes too slow, or something else happens with the OS that prevents it from being normally usable, I will consider any alternatives.

P.S. BB10 also has a mature and fully functional development environment and rich developer documentation, which means that if I need something I can easily write it myself. Which cannot be said about the permanently alpha-stage (just renamed to beta so that it looks nicer) Sailfish OS SDK, never having been taken real care of, semi-finished, heavily unpolished, almost undocumented.

I do agree with you that BB10 is better in almost all aspects than sailfish OS, the only problem is that is that Blackberry decided to kill its own operating system because of just that (being more secure). BB10 is pretty much more enjoyable and feature rich than even Symbian every was, it is still a dead operating system and Sailfish OS is not despite it short comings.

So what I'm doing is exploring the alternatives with the emphasis on exploring.

Despite BB10 is ok today, I have the very familiar feeling as with Symbian, unfortunately.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Oct.2017 19:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Despite BB10 is ok today, I have the very familiar feeling as with Symbian, unfortunately.

SailfishOS is updated so slowly that I don't think it will ever be anything more than a very niche OS for a very small group of customers. I do hope they will prove me wrong though. The ideal OS has good defaults, and is easy to use out of the box, but also has extra features for the advanced users.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Oct.2017 19:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I do agree with you that BB10 is better in almost all aspects than sailfish OS, the only problem is that is that Blackberry decided to kill its own operating system because of just that (being more secure). BB10 is pretty much more enjoyable and feature rich than even Symbian every was, it is still a dead operating system and Sailfish OS is not despite it short comings.
So what I'm doing is exploring the alternatives with the emphasis on exploring.

Well..... I was an early adopter of almost every mobile OS in the history. First GEOS that only elite had on the Communicators back in the '90s. Then Symbian right from its earliest days, long before it got so popular, until its very end. Especially the Series 80 and UIQ flavors of it. Then Maemo and MeeGo, also long before the N9 came out, since at least N800 or so. And finally BB10.

All of them brutally murdered by their own makers.

When I think about it, I'm really not sure what disgusts me the most: Sony Ericsson who wasted such an amazing platform as UIQ just because they had no clue about what to do with it, Nokia who killed Symbian when it had 40+% marketshare that the iPhone hasn't achieved even by today, BlackBerry who didn't know how to even properly START with BB10, or Jolla whose intentions and goals are well hidden and unclear.

What a F*****G tiring experience.

If you check my old posts from 2012 or 2013 you'll see how enthusiastic I was about Sailfish OS. But literally EVERYTHING they did since then was AGAINST it. And I'm really not willing to go through that sh*t ever again. That's why I prefer to stick with BB10 while it still works fine and just see what happens and what alternatives do I have when it stops working in a year or two, rather than become an early adopter of yet another OS which is CLEARLY bound to fail as what its maker has been doing with it since 2013 has been just DISASTROUS.

Alien Dalvik is a dead end, native development is as unsupported as it was in 2013. Soon no Android apps will run on it (as all of them will need at least Android 5+ APIs and Play services) and there's no incentive of any kind to develop native apps.

So what difference does it really make that "Sailfish OS is still developed" while BB10 isn't, if in BOTH CASES it means actually the same, i.e. same dying Alien Dalvik and no new native apps? So why bother to switch?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Oct.2017 20:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

One more thing:

I think that the best picture of how f****ng pitiful Jolla is, is how miserably they wasted their I2C (The Other Half) feature. Type Arduino in Google and check how many sensors and all kinds of electronic goodies are now available (cheaper than bread) for the I2C interface. There is an ARMY of geeks building great Arduino (and similar) based projects of all kinds. It is a giant market. This single feature alone, if only ever promoted, properly documented, and further supported in all devices rather than just dumped, could have given Jolla hundreds of thousands of users, as all those Arduino geeks would have just LOVED to be able to build their projects directly for their mobile phones (i.e. fully mobile, permanently connected to the Internet and with software controlling it running directly on their mobile phone). But ask any of them if they ever heard that a smartphone with a built-in I2C interface ever existed. No one even knew.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, horror

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 324

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Oct.2017 14:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I agree with what you say, Michal.
If I had a BB Passport right now, I don't think I would be thinking about switching to something els, either.

But it's a different thing to buy a device and switch to an OS that has been officially canceled by the manufacturer.

Second problem for me personally is that this device is definetely too big to carry around in my Jeans' pocket which has been possible for all my phones so far.
I wonder how people nowadays carry around their huge phones an phablets (apart from wearing an extra handbag or keeping it in your hand all the time)...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Oct.2017 19:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But it's a different thing to buy a device and switch to an OS that has been officially canceled by the manufacturer.

Sure, agreed. I was addressing it mostly to MeowTseDong who - I believe - does have the Passport. And in such case, IMO, it is better to just keep using it while it continues to work pretty well and just see what happens next year, rather than switch to SFOS already now...

It's been now 5 years since SFOS was announced and 4 years since the Jolla phone came out, i.e. an awful lot of time. Single, individual mistakes and failures (like e.g. the tablet soap opera) would have been fully understandable, but it's been actually the whole 5 years of permanent CHAOS, totally incomprehensible goals, complete disregard for end users and developers, etc. It's not just about the lack of support for paid apps, it's that since 2013 they've been totally rejecting to build ANY kind of native ecosystem: SDK never finished, developer documentation never done, accessory market never supported (they didn't even care to ever make batteries for the Jolla normally available), I2C support so miserably dumped, and so on. So it gives absolutely no warranty that anything will change anytime soon, if ever. From such perspective, I really cannot see much difference between an already canceled OS like BB10 and the "still developed" SFOS in which they even stopped providing security patches for Android runtime on the 'original' Jolla device. Note how they advertise that this downloadable SFOS release comes with ONE YEAR OF SUPPORT, and be sure that as early as in October 2018 you'll stop getting any Android security patches for it, too.

I really do not think that I'm exaggerating when I talk about 'complete disregard for end users and developers', if since 2014 (!) they haven't even bothered to give ANY answer to the question about if they will ever support paid apps. The fourth most voted for request (out of nearly 20,000) on their official TJC site. This single thing alone shows how much they disregard their users and developers. Almost unthinkable in case of a company that allegedly struggles to survive and fully depends on handful of its fans.

Quote:

Second problem for me personally is that this device is definetely too big to carry around in my Jeans' pocket which has been possible for all my phones so far. I wonder how people nowadays carry around their huge phones an phablets (apart from wearing an extra handbag or keeping it in your hand all the time)...

Prior to getting the Passport, I could not imagine that with its size and weight it could become my primary device. I though I'd only use it for development. It changed the day I got it in my hands, and now I can't imagine NOT having such a big display and so fantastic keyboard. When it becomes too slow to use, I'll have a really tough time to switch to something else. And it's not even the size of the screen, it's first of all its proportions which turned out to be really fantastic. True, it's not the most convenient phone to carry, but the comfort of using it compensates (with surplus) the trouble of carrying it. So even just because of that, I'll continue to use it as long as it remains usable.

Anyway, as much as I hate it, I'm afraid that we'll all end up with an Android phone sooner or later. At least for me, iOS isn't an option. I really hoped that SFOS would be my next OS, but Jolla did literally EVERYTHING to exclude itself from my list of choices.

At this point, we don't even know who actually owns it (other than that Russians are now the majority) and what are their actual goals. Maybe it'll end up as some INTERNAL platform for FSB and Russian governement use, as I don't believe that even in Russia they can force normal end users to dump Android and iOS in favor of something as flimsy, unsupported and - shortly speaking - uncompetitive, fully relying on its DEAD Android 4.4 support.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Oct.2017 22:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Sure, agreed. I was addressing it mostly to MeowTseDong who - I believe - does have the Passport. And in such case, IMO, it is better to just keep using it while it continues to work pretty well and just see what happens next year, rather than switch to SFOS already now...

It's been now 5 years since SFOS was announced and 4 years since the Jolla phone came out, i.e. an awful lot of time. Single, individual mistakes and failures (like e.g. the tablet soap opera) would have been fully understandable, but it's been actually the whole 5 years of permanent CHAOS, totally incomprehensible goals, complete disregard for end users and developers, etc. It's not just about the lack of support for paid apps, it's that since 2013 they've been totally rejecting to build ANY kind of native ecosystem: SDK never finished, developer documentation never done, accessory market never supported (they didn't even care to ever make batteries for the Jolla normally available), I2C support so miserably dumped, and so on. So it gives absolutely no warranty that anything will change anytime soon, if ever. From such perspective, I really cannot see much difference between an already canceled OS like BB10 and the "still developed" SFOS in which they even stopped providing security patches for Android runtime on the 'original' Jolla device. Note how they advertise that this downloadable SFOS release comes with ONE YEAR OF SUPPORT, and be sure that as early as in October 2018 you'll stop getting any Android security patches for it, too.

I really do not think that I'm exaggerating when I talk about 'complete disregard for end users and developers', if since 2014 (!) they haven't even bothered to give ANY answer to the question about if they will ever support paid apps. The fourth most voted for request (out of nearly 20,000) on their official TJC site. This single thing alone shows how much they disregard their users and developers. Almost unthinkable in case of a company that allegedly struggles to survive and fully depends on handful of its fans.

The Passport is a great machine and what I use daily, however I can't see how that is mutably exclusive for me getting a SFOS phone. I'm in "business" and I like to explore alternatives and I have done so for much every mobile operating system. That is how I learn things even if I can go to the net a read what other experience.

I want SFOS to succeed but as you mention, they had tons of problems in the company. As I see it, the company is run by a bunch of computer hobbyists that prevents the company from going big. I think that it is good that they got out of the HW business and are focusing purely on SW, and that's where the Sony Xperia X comes in. Hopefully we'll se more models coming along in the future. Look at Blackberry and TCL, at least they are able to crank out vanilla Android phones. Basically both doing HW and SW today is difficult and requires large resources behind it. Too big for Jolla, even Blackberry and even Microsoft.

Jolla is basically a garage company and they have no personnel that can handle the business and customer relation part. We'll see if the Russian owners get their act together but I'm skeptical.

For me, its just a test drive.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 06.Oct.2017 18:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have noticed there is no coverage about the release of SFOS on Xperia X in the tech press. I've seen no reports of it so far. Places like gsmarena.com, it's just about Android and iPhone and nothing else today, totally not worth reading anymore.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 07.Oct.2017 12:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The Passport is a great machine and what I use daily, however I can't see how that is mutably exclusive for me getting a SFOS phone.

I didn't say that it is mutually exclusive. I just see no point Wink But that's maybe because I've been using SFOS on my Jolla since 2013, so I am well familiar with it and I know that at this point it gives absolutely nothing that you wouldn't have on your Passport.

Quote:

As I see it, the company is run by a bunch of computer hobbyists that prevents the company from going big

Jolla is basically a garage company and they have no personnel that can handle the business and customer relation part. We'll see if the Russian owners get their act together but I'm skeptical.

Jolla is clearly owned by a Russian oligarch, a big fish from their oil industry, owner of big Russian newspapers, etc. And not for a few days, but clearly for a year if not more (no one really knows as their information policy is non-existent). In such circumstances, I really wouldn't say that it is "a bunch of computer hobbyists". Maybe they just want people to think so. In Russia they recently built a huge software center in Tatarstan / Innopolis and they've been supporting Sailfish OS there for more than a year

https://university.innopolis.ru/en/news/sailfish-os-summer-school/

Which makes me think that nothing that Jolla has or hasn't done in the last two years was because they're "a bunch of geeks unfamiliar with doing business" but because their actual goals are different than what we think.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Oct.2017 17:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That new Innopolis in Tatarstan would rather indicate that Sailfish will become the National OS of Russia and perhaps even get a complete rebrand paired with a native app store.

I would guess that the current situation is caused by a long-term plan, which is something along the lines of "develop the system itself up to a specific target level - rebrand and launch when ready". I.e. the "amateur" management is part of the plan: Jolla is only meant to develop the system itself until it reaches a specific level of "maturity". When such a desired level is reached - it will be rebranded and receive a wider launch as a "National OS" and proper SDKs etc are to be delivered as part of it. The software center in Tatarstan would take over development and have apps ready.

It seems like this is what will happen eventually and it could also explain the reluctance to support native development, especially if that part is meant to be managed by a Russian company.

I don't believe Russia would base their "National OS" on Android 4.2.2 runtimes. Creating a big software center goes against such a theory - especially when a key objective is to eliminate dependence on US technology. It could even be that way that the new platform will be a Sailfish with some new environment for native apps, i.e. the "National OS" will follow a different path than Qt/QML in favor of a Russian creation. Such a plan could explain the lack of native apps - i.e. the current environment is not part of the strategy so having a lot of incompatible apps written for Sailfish isn't deemed appropriate.

So I would guess that we will see a "new" National OS to be launched within the next 1-2 years (thus the short support life for SF on the Xperia line - the purpose there is to have it running on flagship Qualcomm hardware and debug everything as part of the preparations).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Oct.2017 19:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

AVR4000,

Right, that's what I've been thinking about it for some time, too. That all of this is part of a plan, and definitely not chaotic moves of a "bunch of geeks". It's not that they "don't know" that every OS needs to have an ecosystem - everybody knows it. And it's not that they don't know how to make business - somehow they manage to make various deals, have investors, etc. When they want to do something they either succeed or they fail (like in case of the tablet) but at least they try. Whereas in case of native software development or support for paid apps they have never even tried - on the contrary, my impression is that they've always AVOIDED it as much as they could. The way that for many years they've been pretending not to see all the requests about supporting paid apps (one vague and clearly evasive answer given several years ago, then not even that) clearly shows that it must have been something that they just DIDN'T WANT to do.

The original plan in 2012/2013 must have been different - at that time they were strongly advertising the TOH/I2C feature, calling developers to support their OS, etc. But then something changed radically. So, quite possibly already then they got in touch with those who now own them and agreed on the future and purpose of the OS. Some people (like Dillon) clearly didn't accept the changes and those new goals, so they left.

So maybe at least for several years their main goal has been to deliver the OS for Russia. Initially just an agreement, but then - seeing how the OS progresses - the Russians simply acquired Jolla. Everything else is just to have some free betatesters worldwide until the OS fully matures and is able to serve its purpose. Hence no support for anything beyond that very purpose.

Now, whether it is a good thing or not that it will be a "national OS" in Russia is yet to be seen, depending on what REAL purpose it is mean to serve. Is it going to be a normal OS for 'end users' from around the world, or a state-controlled OS for Russian government and services? We don't know. But how Jolla has been so strongly avoiding to have any international ecosystem around this OS suggests to me THE LATTER.

And this is what holds me AWAY from this OS until I can make sure that it will be a normal platform for normal people from all around the globe.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Oct.2017 22:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My own guess is that the following happened:

1. The original plan was to save MeeGo Harmattan by creating a new company and develop the system further with the long-term goal that a "Nokia that came to their senses" would use it as their future platform.

The original Jolla was meant to be the "N10" and I would assume discussions were being made with Nokia regarding a possible future use of the system (such discussions would have been pretty informal, involving people not directly involved with Elop/WP7).

This was the situation back in 2012/2013 when the Jolla smartphone landed.

2. Ideas about the system being used by Nokia ended with the Microsoft buyout and they started to look for other options. The original idea regarding native apps would have been that their "partner" (which would have been Nokia at the time) would run it as a revived Ovi Store - i.e. supporting paid apps in the Harbor Store wasn't necessary since it would be replaced eventually.

At the same time - the political tension with Russia began to rise and the country began to look into import substitution. It happened during the same time as Microsoft bought Nokia Devices and the future plans of Jolla changed.

3. Instead of being a system of a future Nokia, Russia came onboard around 2013/2014 with the long-term plan of a National OS based on Sailfish. The long-term strategy became as follows:

I. Develop the system up to a desired level of maturity paired with the full operation of the new Innopolis software center in Tatarstan.

II. Qt/QML and the Android Runtime will be replaced by a new Russian environment, thus making support for native development less of a concern since the future system will be incompatible with the current Sailfish. So no reason to have a library of native apps that will be unsupported by future versions. The Android runtime is used as a simple way of having apps while the system is developed.

III. The system is meant to be a viable alternative for the Russian market, i.e. it should be competitive with Android and be on a "mature, polished" level on full launch. It is to fulfill the security requirements of the Russian government but also be appealing to consumers as well. The key market is in Russia, Western markets depend on the political situation. The key objective is to have a platform that are fully independent from US technology.

IV. Part of the plan is to have the system fully compatible with Android hardware, i.e. no need to create "special" models - it will be possible to flash it onto standard products. The idea is to have "National OS Editions" for the Russian markets, i.e. different Android OEMs make such products for them and receive benefits such as elimination of tariffs etc.

V. The Xperia program is meant to polish the system on Snapdragon 835 since the plan is to have it running on such chipsets - it is important that it work well on such hardware.

VI. The final result will be a high profile launch of the system under a different name, with a "wide" OEM backing (i.e. signing up different Android OEMs - mostly Chinese I would guess that make "National OS Editions) paired with a new brand and a new app store. The initial step is devices such as the Inoi R7 that are part of the development program.

VII. The system will be meant for government AND consumer use, which is the reason why it is developed gradually in a seemingly "hobby" fashion - the idea is to have it fully stable and matured in order to avoid consumer backlash.

So I would assume that it will be perfectly fine for users from different parts of the world - i.e. it will have English language support from day 1 etc BUT that it is a "Russia first" platform available for export rather than something they are going to put in the US market (i.e. the focus will be Russia, China and then India and perhaps Europe). Most key markets will be those that are "allies".

There's a big plan for the system and it will be successful but the announcement will only happen when everything is ready. I.e. it will look like a "small" hobby system for geeks until that day come.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Oct.2017 04:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't want to step into speculations, but want to share a somewhat simpler point of view. I am concerned about some of that suspicions with russia involved but nevertheless I made a simple decision.

A few weeks ago my old an beloved Jolla 1 just died after almost four years of daily use. I don't know what happened. It just turned off and I wasn't able to turn it on again. Something happend though, if the USB connector was connected. Jolla told me, they could try to repair it by factory flashing, but I didn't want to pay the money.

I didn't want to use an Android phone so I took my old N9 from the drawer. It was ok to use it, but I started to miss Sailfish.

So I bought a Sony Xperia X Compact and flashed it with an unofficial built of SFOS. That was last week. Since then I use the phone on a daily basis.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Oct.2017 04:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Additional thougts: I use the SFOS on Xperia despite having Android support currently.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Oct.2017 22:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
Additional thougts: I use the SFOS on Xperia despite having Android support currently.

What is your opinion about SFOS compared to other OSes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic