MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Bits and Bobs regarding the Nokia E7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia e90, E7, Galaxy Note 8

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Jan.2018 17:16    Post subject: Bits and Bobs regarding the Nokia E7   Reply with quote   

Sad to say, I've left the Nokia scene when the Windows variants came out. Now that Nokia is back, and releasing Android based phones, I'm taking a second look.

As my previous posts indicate, I'm a huge fan of the Communicator series. The latest Communicator (even though the name doesn't include the famous moniker), the E7, is sitting here next to me wanting to be revived.

I miss the keyboard, something my Galaxy Note doesn't have. I've come across several issues reviving the E7 as a usable smart phone. Primarily the fact that the E7 was the first Communicator tied into the now dead Nokia ecosystem. This means, a lot of the apps just won't work, not even email.

I've tried my best to find alternatives, but none work. I can use the E7 as a nice text messaging phone, but I require more. I require at least the ability to send and receive emails.

My question is, is anyone still using their E7 today? Do you use it to get email and the like? If so, how?

I'm also curious what the latest firmware is, currently mine is on 111.040.1511. This is my second E7, my original died in 2014 when I switched to the Note series from Samsung, and I remember the E7 having some different features not found in the one I have now.

Thanks for reading.
ABCDKE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
4 in 4 posts
Thanks given: 26

Phone: Xperia X Compact

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Jan.2018 20:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

About the email: the service for creating new mailboxes was shut down, like, years ago. You need an app called "Mailbox Creator" which will create an empty mailbox, whose parameters need to be adjusted then. Like, including the POP servers and ports and all that.

Ooooooor you can use an alternate mail app, like ProfiMail or qooMail.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Simon Templar

Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Jan.2018 00:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey thanks. I'm aware they were closed down, hence the issues with the built in email system. I'd like to use that, have given Profimail a go, but it isn't to my liking.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for the "Mailbox Creator" app, would you?

**Edit**
Found it, first hit in Google. Very Happy
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Jan.2018 21:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Now that I've gotten email to work thanks to Pepe, I mean, ABCDKE, is there any way to get the built in weather to work? Perhaps an app with weather widgets as an alternative?
ABCDKE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
4 in 4 posts
Thanks given: 26

Phone: Xperia X Compact

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Jan.2018 23:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nah, the Weather app can't be salvaged. Your best bet is a custom app with a weather widget or whatever. Accuweather and Gismeteo might still work, I don't know. :]
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 25.Jan.2018 14:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Now that Nokia is back, and releasing Android based phones, I'm taking a second look.

Nokia isn't back. A few people owning the rights merely license the LOGO (brand) to a Chinese manufacturer who makes ordinary Android phones like everyone else. There's nothing Nokia in them but the logo.

BlackBerry Android phones made by the Chinese at least still have the OS modified by BlackBerry, as well as a bundle of BlackBerry's own applications and services and also some proprietary hardware features (e.g. BlackBerry's unique capacitive hardware keyboards). In "Nokia" phones there's nothing but a standard Android OS on a standard Android hardware, plus their logo.
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 25.Jan.2018 21:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Doesn't matter if it's the same company or not, the point is Nokia phones are on the market again.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Jan.2018 06:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Doesn't matter if it's the same company or not, the point is Nokia phones are on the market again.

I can't wait for some Chinese rubber factory to start making tires with Nokia printed on them and say that Nokia tires are back on the market like 50 years ago. They'll have just as little to do with genuine Nokia tires as those "Nokia" phones from Foxconn's subsidiary FIH Mobile have to do with Finnish Nokia phones. Pure marketing to make nostalgic people pay extra for 5 letters.
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Jan.2018 11:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't quite understand your hate for the new Nokia phones. My only concern with the phones being made in China, is how the Chinese like to make their devices phone home with personal information.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Jan.2018 19:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't quite understand your hate for the new Nokia phones.

What "hate"? I only said what they are. How stating the truth can be "hate"? The truth does not have to be (and rarely is) pleasant, but it is true.

There used to be a great company called Commodore which manufactured Amiga computers. It went bankrupt around 1995 or so. A few years ago some American guy bought some rights to the "Commodore" brand, ordered in China some ordinary PC / Windows computers with fancy housings and started selling them with Commodore and Amiga logos and promoting them as "Commodore is back" and "Amiga is back". How does that differ from this Nokia story?

For me, to consider it a true comeback, it takes a little bit more than just the name, that's all. Or if you can find any other connection, please point it out.
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Jan.2018 21:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I remember Commodore, and the re-release. The re-release got mixed reviews, but it wasn't all that bad. Same with Nokia, may not be the same company behind the name anymore, but hopefully we'll see that they'll carry on with Nokia tradition. I mean, they re-released the 3310. It shows they're aware of the brand, and yes, even if it was a money grab I'm hoping there's people within the company that can see the value of what Nokia was, and aspire to make the company more than just another phone company.

Time will tell.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.Jan.2018 23:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I remember Commodore, and the re-release. The re-release got mixed reviews, but it wasn't all that bad. Same with Nokia

Oh no. You've mixed up two completely different companies and products. That Commodore USA business ended before it really started, because no one was naive enough to buy ordinary Windows PCs just called Amiga and costing up to $2500. You've mistaken it with the AmigaOne line of truly next generation Amiga computers made by A-EON company in Europe.

http://www.a-eon.com/

They are true next-gen Amigas simply because they run true Amiga OS 4.1 (OS 3.x successor for PowerPC processors), they're PowerPC CPU based (just like what the original Amigas were about to get when Commodore went bankrupt) and they include compatibility layer (via emulation) with original Amiga OS 3.x and come with original, licenced Kickstart ROM images of classic Amigas. Amiga OS 4.1 runs lots of applications known from old Amigas recompiled for the new OS version / CPU and improved, and those which didn't get OS 4.1 port can be run via the emulation. So you've got the same operating system, proper hardware continuation, same applications, and even backward compatibility. They share *A LOT* with classic Amigas, actually as much as it was possible to preserve while at the same time bringing the hardware to today's standards. And that is what I consider a true successor.

Whereas those current "Nokia" phones don't have anything in common with original Nokia phones. But the name. While maybe the 3110 was made to look somehow similar, the original could (and still can as lots of them still work) be used to hammer nails whereas I'd be afraid to squeeze the new one too tightly in my hand. So they are like the failed Commodore USA business selling Windows as Amiga, and not like A-EON / AmigaOne with true Amiga OS.
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 28.Jan.2018 02:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have both, and I have to admit the new 3310 isn't going to last like the old 3310's. While both are plastic, the old 3310's plastic feels like quality plastic. The new 3310's plastic feels like the brittle sort of plastic.

All this is moot though, I bought a Note 8 last night and am enjoying it. I wanted to give my old E7 a go, but it's too restrictive thanks to the now defunkt Nokia services. I just desperately want a new Communicator, I don't care if it's the old Nokia, the new Nokia, or someone else entirely that makes it. Just give me an E7 with Android and you got a happy customer.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 28.Jan.2018 17:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

While we're at 3110, I could never understand why they chose 3110 to clone. A proper remake of the beautiful titanium 8910 or even just the 8850 - now, that would have been something. My wife's 8810 and 8910 still catch dust in a drawer and when we look there from time to time it's a pleasure to even just hold them a few seconds. Those were true design masterpieces and everyone's dream.

As for the Communicator or the E7.... Many of us here hoped that after liberating itself from Microsoft Nokia would come back and join forces with Jolla, i.e. also ex-Nokia. The Nokia brand, and finally a proper support and marketing, might attract developers to Sailfish OS, i.e. an OS with true Nokia roots, based on MeeGo and Qt, i.e. very easy to port all Qt applications from Symbian and MeeGo (and also BlackBerry BB10) to. And an OS compatible with Android hardware, i.e. not requiring any costly proprietary hardware solutions, development of proprietary drivers, etc. The same hardware that now runs Android on the Nokia 8 or 6 could have happilly hosted Sailfish OS. And also the Nokia N1 tablet that HMD released with Android could have also ran Sailfish OS whose tablet version Jolla also had (and failed to ship due to lack of funds). Again, THAT would have been something. A true rebirth.

But no. Jolla preferred to sell itself to Russian oligarchs *, and HMD (i.e. those who bought the rights to Nokia brand from Microsoft) preferred to sell itself to Foxconn and end up with stock Android. Instead of joining forces or at least cooperating, those two companies pretend that they don't even know about each other's existence, of which the best example is that there is not even a possibility to install Sailfish OS as an alternative OS on the Nokia 8, like it can be done on the Sony Xperia X, and what only requires that the manufacturer unlocks the bootloader for it. And that they (two tiny camps of ex-Nokians) decided to compete rather than cooperate is really pathetic.

----

* I wouldn't exclude that the original Jolla's plan (maybe based on some initial talks and agreements a few years ago) was to join forces with "Nokia" when it comes back, but when the time came HMD showed no interest, so Jolla had no other choices but to let Russians in.

Anyway, I hate such wasted chances and choosing easy (and poor) money over something that might have been a true come back bringing us all a great alternative to Android and iOS with true Nokia roots. And that's one of the reasons of my lack of enthusiasm towards this so called "new Nokia", i.e. plain Android with Nokia logo.
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 30.Jan.2018 04:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Absolutely, the 8910i is one of my favorite candy bar style phones. The build quality is just superb. Man, a Sailfish communicator would have been great. I remember MeeGo and the excitement around the OS.

Nothing upsets me more, than good software being ignored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic