Submit news about your Symbian OS software, services and accessories for publication on our website using|
Show our news on your website! Check the table above for URLs of our RSS feeds. Both general feed and platform-specific feeds are available.
DISCUSSION FORUMS - MOST RECENT TOPICS|
MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan based Nokia N9 announced
|At the CommunicAsia 2011 event today, Nokia has announced the new Nokia N9 based on MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan. Not just beautifully designed, the N9 also offers a wide range of powerful and advanced features. |
It all comes together beautifully with the scratch-resistant glass merging perfectly into the smooth one-piece body. And there's innovation in every detail. The vivid AMOLED display brings everything to life right on the surface, plus the curved glass makes it easy to swipe the touch screen as you move between apps.
It all comes down to a simple swipe. This one idea makes everything feel effortless and completely natural as you use your phone. There are no back or home keys – just a continuous flow as you move from app to app. Swipe any edge of the screen to go home, then move easily between three home views.
Three views with everything you need. Start something new in the familiar Applications view, or go to the Open applications view to jump from one live app to another – great for picking up where you left off. The Events view is the place to see what’s happening right now in your world. Live Facebook updates and Tweets, real-time emails and other notifications, all in one place.
Get to where you want to go with free walk and drive navigation and turn-by-turn voice guidance. Find the best of everything in your city, including cafes, shops, concerts, hotels and more, with public transportation line views for over 80 cities worldwide. As maps for your region are preloaded, you can get started right away and save on data costs. Plus the dedicated Drive app is optimised for in-car use with simple touch controls.
Nokia N9 features a fast mobile web browser, so pages load on your screen in no time. And with HTML5 support you get the best of the web including rich apps and fast video playback. Everything is quick and highly responsive, plus you can keep multiple pages open at the same time and move easily between them.
A photo opportunity can come and go at any moment. Use the 8 MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics to take a great shot, or start filming in stunning high definition. The wide-angle lens means you get more friends in the picture – just tap to focus and shoot. Instantly share online for everyone to enjoy, or touch another NFC-enabled phone to share with someone close by.
Nokia N9 comes with quality must-have apps straight out of the box, including Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Accuweather and AP Mobile. You also get Angry Birds Magic to keep you entertained for hours, plus there are other essential apps and games at Ovi Store.
Just take a look at the detailed specifications....
* 1 GB RAM (operating memory)
* 16 GB or 64 GB of internal memory
* 3.9" 16:9 FWVGA capacitive AMOLED screen (854 x 480 pixels, 16.7 million colours)
* Scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla 2.5D curved glass, Anti-glare polariser
* Quad-band GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* Penta-band WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100
* 8 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics
* Wide-angle lens, True 16:9 imaging
* Large lens aperture of f/2.2, Focal length: 3.77mm / 28mm
* Dual LED flash, Digital shutter
* Continuous autofocus
* HD quality video capture in 720p resolution at 30 fps
* True 16:9 video recording
* Stereo sound recording
* HD 720p video playback
* Dolby Mobile and Dolby Digital support
* Dolby Headphone for enhancing your music experience with headphones
* 3.5 mm AV connector
* High-speed USB 2.0 with micro USB connector
* GPRS/EDGE class B, multislot class 33
* HSDPA cat 10 maximum speed up to 14.4 Mbit/s
* HSUPA cat 6 up to 5.7 Mbit/s
* WLAN IEEE802.11 a/b/g/n
* NFC (Near Field Communication) for easy pairing and sharing
* Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
* Capability to serve as data modem
* Micro SIM card
* Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers
* Pure touch screen UI, all-screen front
* On-screen alphanumeric keypad and keyboard
* Dedicated power, camera and volume keys
* Integrated handsfree speaker
* Size: 116.45 x 61.2 x 7.6-12.1 mm
* Weight (with battery): 135 g
* Volume: 76 cc
* MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan
* On-screen alphanumeric keypad and keyboard
* Customisable wallpapers and lock screen
* Customisable profiles
* Ringtones: mp3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB
* Flight mode
* User interface simplified to three home views: events, applications and open apps
* Swipe gesture instantly takes you back to the home view you started from
* Multitasking and app switching through open apps view: a live snapshot of all running apps
* Apps compliant with Qt 4.7
* Software updates over the internet
* Detailed contact information
* Calendar, To-do list, Notes
* Support for MS Outlook synchronisation of contacts, calendar and to-do with Mail for Exchange
* Support for viewing documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF and Open Document Formats
* Online calendar synchronisation with CalDAV
* Easy-to-use email client with attachment support for images, videos, music and documents
* HTML support for email
* Email client can combine multiple accounts into one easy-to manage inbox
* Easy setup for POP3, IMAP and Mail for Exchange services
* Multiple accounts per user supported
* Chat instant messaging support: Facebook, Skype, Gtalk, and services using sip
* Easy to move between multiple live conversations on open applications view
* Unified MMS/SMS editor
* Conversational view for SMS
* Push email Messages notifications shown in the event view
* Contacts: advanced contacts with support for multiple phone and email details per entry with personal thumbnail pictures
* Smart dialling to find phone numbers quickly
* Speed dialling, voice dialling (speaker independent)
* Notifications of missed calls shown on standby-screen, lock screen and events view
* Contacts application combines phone and online contacts together, such as Skype and Facebook.
* Automatic and manual contact merging. Conference calling
* Full web browsing of real web pages
* Fast and highly responsive browser based on Webkit2
* Multiple websites can be viewed in the live multitasking view
* Full browsing history
* Wide HTML5 support offers access to rich web applications and fast video playback
* Supported markup languages: HTML5, CSS 3, XHTML
* Supported protocols: HTTP v1.1
* TCP/IP support
* Web search integrated to browser
* Auto-completer for fast lookups
* Dynamic top sites page for fast access to favourite web sites
* Pinch gesture and double tap zooming
* RSS reader
* Support for streaming video
* Unified notifcations for Facebook, Twitter and RSS feeds in the Events view
* Social networking profiles and status updates merged into phone contacts
* Social networking events visible in phone calendar
* Ovi Maps with free voice-guided car and walk navigation
* Ovi Drive optimised for in-car navigation
* Wi-Fi network positioning
* Download more maps via Wi-Fi straight to the device
* Wi-Fi and Cellular network network positioning
* Camera settings: flash, scene mode, exposure, white balance, ISO, face tracking, aspect ratio and resolution
* Automatic location tagging (geotagging) of images and videos
* Images automatically taken in the correct orientation
* Pinch zoom in Photos image viewer
* View photos by tag, favourites, collection and slide show
* Photo editor with fast non-destructive editing, one-touch autofix, red-eye removal, straighten
* Automatic Motion Blur Reduction
* Support for download, streaming, and progressive download
* YouTube browsing and streaming
* Video sharing to YouTube
* Wide range of codecs supported for easy transfer and play, minimising the need to transcode
* Wide codec support: H.263, MPEG4-SP & ASP, H.264 BP/MP, WMV9 / VC-1 and Mkv (Matroska)
* HD playback support: MPEG-4 SP, H.264 BP
* HD capture support: MPEG4-SP
* Audio codecs: MPEG-4 AAC , eAAC, eAAC+, MPEG-1 audio Layer2 (MP2), MPEG-1 audio Layer3 (MP3), WMA 9, WMA Voice 9, WMA Lossless 9, WMA Professional 9 and 10, Dolby Digital Plus (AC-3 & E-AC-3), FLAC
* Bit rate up tp 320 kbps
* Support for OpenGL ES 2.0 enables 3D graphics
* Nokia Link: PC and Mac application for easily syncing photos, music and videos
* Key applications: Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Joikuspot Wi-Fi tethering, Accuweather, AP News, Swype, Track and Protect, Galaxy on Fire 2, Real Golf, Angry Birds Magic, Mail, video player, Drive, Feeds, search, calculator, Calendar, Contacts, music player, web browser, messaging, photos, photo editor, Ovi Store, Maps
Standard Sales Package:
* Nokia N9 all-screen smartphone
* Nokia Fast USB Charger AC-16
* Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-185CD
* Nokia Stereo Headset WH-901
Learn more: Product Pages, Technical specifications, Gallery, Swipe.Nokia.com, Nokia N9 UX Guidelines, Nokia Press, N9 Data Sheet (PDF), Nokia N9 Introduction Video (YouTube).
Forum Nokia becomes Nokia Developer
|Forum Nokia has been renamed to Nokia Developer together with a new website design.|
Quote from the announcement: "While this website might look a bit different now, we think you will agree we have made it simpler to understand. Whether you plan to develop and deploy mobile apps using Qt, Web or Java – or if you plan to begin crafting apps for Nokia with Windows Phone – you will notice that it is easy for you to reach any of the mobile development-related resources that you need to do your work quickly and efficiently. As you will see, this is part of an overall movement by Nokia to offer our global developer community a single point of service to design, develop and distribute mobile apps and content to consumers using the latest Nokia phones worldwide.
You will find a new developer library, as well as more space for timely news and updates that are important to you; and you will see improvements coming soon to the events and training section of this site, too." Read more...
Ovi Suite Beta 220.127.116.11
|Nokia Beta Labs has updated Nokia Ovi Suite 3.1 Beta to version 18.104.22.168.|
Downloading apps and maps is now much easier. You can get free apps directly from the Home view to your connected phone. Simply point to the app that you want and click "Download and install" to have it installed to your phone from Ovi Store.
T7-00 and 702T - two Symbian ^3 phones for China
|Nokia China has launched two Symbian &3 based phones for the Chinese market: the T7-00 and 702T.|
The T7-00 is very similar to the N8, with the most apparent difference being a camera 'downgraded' to 8 Megapixel EDOF one. On the other hand, it features a screen 'upgraded' to Clear Black. It has aluminium casing, 3.5" screen, and integrated battery, just like the N8. Specific for the Chinese market is an additional text input method, handwriting recognition.
The 702T is a Chinese version of the new E6 (with QWERTY keyboard and 2.46" VGA resolution touch screen, stainless steel body and hardened glass on the display), also featuring an 8 megapixel EDoF camera with dual-LED flash and HD 720p video recording. Both devices are based on Symbian Anna and support TD-SCDMA (Chinese 3G variant).
Both devices will be available in Q3 on China Mobile. More information (in Chinese).
Pinch - social app with messenger and location based services
|Pinch is meant to combine messenger and location based services. Smartphone users wil be able to interact with friends using animations, pictures, emoticons and notifications. Pinch will also enable users to send data messages across platforms (iPhone, iPod Touch, Android, BlackBerry, J2ME devices and Symbian) without incurring any SMS/MMS charges. Further, the app supports animation across platforms and offers over 475 emoticons.|
Nokia Play To - multimedia playback over DLNA
|Nokia Play To lets you show photos and videos taken with your mobile to your friends wirelessly on your TV. Or you can listen to your favourite music stored on your mobile with your home audio system. Just launch Play To, select the device and media you want to play. No configuration is needed once WLAN is on and all devices are connected to the same network. A network with WLAN access is needed as well as a DLNA capable playing device (e.g. TV, A/V amplifier, Blu-ray player or PS3 game console). All devices including mobile must be connected to the same network.|
Generated for you in 0.085 seconds. Top of page
NOTE: Advertisings and External Links point to external websites operated by their owners. This website is not in any way associated with them or responsible for their content.