Advanced English Dictionary is distinguished from the other (paper, electronic) dictionaries in many ways. Not because it contains far more words than a conventional paper dictionary, but because it uses a radically new approach and technology called WordNet. Instead of just listing the words and their definitions, Advanced English Dictionary shows how every word is linked to another. Type in the word "tree" and you will get not only the definition, synonyms and opposites, but the hypernyms (a tree is a kind of what?), meronyms (what are the parts of a tree?) and more. You can also find a list of hundreds of trees, from yellowwood to the Tree of Knowledge, and even all words that contain the letters t-r-e-e. This WordNet approach will help you to understand the meanings of words better. Linguists call WordNet project one of the biggest leaps for dictionaries since scholars sat down to write the epic Oxford English Dictionary.
Features in a nutshell:
- One of the biggest database. Advanced English Dictionary uses one of the biggest English database. It contains up to 250,000 entries and more than 1.6 million words (both American and British English).
- Links between words. More than 335,000 links between definitions. There are 18 kinds of links. Almost every definition contains links to other definitions and all of them are sorted into folders. For example, the 'Parts' folder of Brazil contains links to Rio, Santos, Amazon river and so on.
- Accurate content. Clear and precise definitions. You can use them as reference. The content was developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
- Spectacular. It contains not only hundreds of thousands of English words and definitions but names of famous persons, dates, geographical locations, technical and scientific terms and more.
- Easy-to-use. Advanced English Dictionary incorporated a powerful, internet browser like user-interface on which you can efficiently reach what you are mostly interested in. It's so intuitive that you won't need to wade through manuals before you start.
- Lots of sample usages. Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing.
- Fast. Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smoothly scrolling screens.
- State-of-the-art compression technology. It keeps the database as small as possible so that it fits your device memory conveniently.
- GUI designed for UIQ 3 phones. The user interface of Advanced English Dictionary follows the UIQ 3 style standards.